Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-04-2015, 08:39 AM   #1
rizzay
rizzay began at the beginning.

Device: nook simpletouch & kindle paperwhite
Library migration from MS Word.

Hi all,
I have spent much time searching the internet for a good method to transition my father's library and thought the folks on this forum could help. Here's my situation:

My father has a library list containing 3k+ books on Microsoft Word of all physical books, including ebooks purchased from Amazon and B&N. He also has the date he finished the book along with a rating. Unfortunately none of his entries contain ISBN #'s (only author first and last name). I would like to put his library in a medium that allows portability (GoodReads or Shelfari) but I also find Calibre a very powerful library program.

Does anyone know of or recommend an efficient way to obtain the ISBN numbers and any recommendations on what medium would be easiest to establish his new library?

Thanks for your time and suggestions.
-Mark
rizzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:20 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
There is a plugin "Extract ISBN" which might be able to extract ISBN numbers from the copyright page of selected books.

Another useful plugin would be Goodreads Sync, for syncing calibre to your Goodreads shelves.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #3
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Never used it, but there is a plugin for calibre to import lists: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187831

You will need to convert the word file to a csv list. Depending on how the word file is structered, this can be very easy (if it is done as a table) or difficult.

You could then run calibres fetch metadata option to get the missing data and isbns. As eschwartz has said, you could then sync your library with goodreads also.

For the eBooks it would be a good idea to import the books directly into calibre.

Hope this helps you to get started!
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote