Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-21-2019, 10:31 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kin7; FHD6; SGT4; ClipZip; LG Trib; Echo Dot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Mind you I'm also someone who can't see the point of buying the same book in both ebook and audiobook format for 'immersive reading' (or whatever it's called) when every text-to-speech app I've ever used perfectly synchronises voice and words on the page using highlighting and auto page-turning.
Many times, the ebook is purchased first (at a discount) in order to get the corresponding audiobook at a huge discount. I've done that on numerous occasions just to get the audiobook. I then discard the ebook, never to open it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:12 PM   #17
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Captioning makes sense when there isn't a Whispersync title available. There is a huge market of babyboomers who are hearing impaired, but are helped by hearing aids. So, just like my Mom who doesn't watch programs that don't have captioning because she misses words, I'm sure there are a lot of folks who don't buy audiobooks for the same reason. There is also a market of those for whom English is a second language. Captioning helps them learn the language and not miss any part of the books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I have not bought any Audible books. Why? Because they are too expensive. Would I buy one if they were a better value for the money (like, if they included captions perhaps)? I might. Not sure. But maybe. Publishers don't seem to realize this. They apparently would prefer to charge even MORE for an Audible book with captions. Further assuring that I would never buy one.
Given that you can get them as low as $1.99-$7.99 plus tax as a companion to your Amazon ebook, it is simply not your interest to fork out a dime. So, you aren't really their audience. And that's fine. But, but, you are also satisfied with the selection available at your library. If you are a scifi or fantasy fan, libraries aren't really going to provide you with much ereading or listening. Won't take you a year or two from start to get through everything even a well stocked library has simply because these are niche areas.

I just don't see this captioning happening with the average novel given what happened with the TTS bruhaha years ago.

Last edited by Tarana; 07-21-2019 at 11:38 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2019, 11:16 PM   #18
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Many times, the ebook is purchased first (at a discount) in order to get the corresponding audiobook at a huge discount. I've done that on numerous occasions just to get the audiobook. I then discard the ebook, never to open it.
Me too, although I do use Whispersync on travel days (I'm retired) and family members occasionally read the ebooks.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:18 AM   #19
Paperbackstash
Addict
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4 (Inis Odyssey) PW3 (Moonsliver), Fire HD 2ndG (Nostromo)
The only news I've heard of this, besides here of course, is a self-published author being upset about it on Twitter. She is worried about it taking money from authors if people don't have to buy the e-book version to go along with the audio and said there hadn't been consent to this, which she finds problematic.

https://twitter.com/kj_charles/statu...31163821727749

I understand her frustration and agree with the way she puts it. The legalities must allow this, I'm assuming, since I doubt Amazon/Audible would have snuck this in illegally without doing thorough research that it was okay to do otherwise.
Paperbackstash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:19 AM   #20
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Captioning makes sense when there isn't a Whispersync title available.
Just how common are those discounts/bundles?
Any idea?
I don't see it very often and rarely on titles I would buy.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2019, 08:38 AM   #21
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
This is something I'll never use. When I'm listening to an audiobook, the last thing I want to do is read the text. Doing so prevents me from multi-tasking.

I suspect this will be a niche market and I fail to see what publishers and authors are getting so worked up about, since the consumer has to pay for a more expensive audiobook just to get this feature. And then, they don't have the flexibility a dedicated ebook offers.

Tis much ado about nothing...
Perhaps for the way I use audiobooks now, it's a nothing burger. However, I can see how new readers or those learning a new language might benefit.

I don't see how it's a threat to sales of the text version of the book.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:55 AM   #22
Paperbackstash
Addict
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Any idea?
A shortcut with seeing which apply from your account:
Amazon Matchmaker Page
Old 07-22-2019, 08:57 AM   #23
Paperbackstash
Addict

I can see publisher and author concerns. If Audible did not purchase the rights of the text and put into the price of the book to give back to the authors/sellers, then offering text when they've only bought the audio rights does sound questionable.

Apologies if it's already been linked, but Publisher Weekly posted a thorough article on it
https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...community.html

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 07-22-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #24
Tarana
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Any idea?
Very common, but it all depends on what interests you. If you are not coming across Whispersync titles, it could very well be that the genres/authors that you read simply don't have audiobooks for their works.

If you go to Amazon and select Kindle and start browsing, off to the left, you can check the box to restrict books just to ones that have Audible companions. That might help you notice more of them.

Lots of my murder mysteries and science fiction choices have audiobooks. Not as many fantasy, especially fantasy pre-2009, have audiobooks.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:12 PM   #25
haertig
Guru
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
If it works, then it is just a matter of time until a standalone app listens in to everything and transcribes it into text.
All's you have to do is say "Alexa", "Hey Siri", or "OK Google" ... then turn on the audiobook. You'll probably find the whole thing uploaded to the cloud and transcribed for you. And a whole bunch of Amazon/Google/Apple employees will be able to enjoy reading and listening to the book as well, as they "review" your data upload in the name of improving their service!
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:32 PM   #26
haertig
Guru
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
This is a combination of wishful thinking and projection, in total ignorance of reality.
I'm not sure that me stating an opinion on audiobook prices and possible publisher motivations equates to ignorance of reality.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #27
SleepyBob
Addict
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I'm not sure that me stating an opinion on audiobook prices and possible publisher motivations equates to ignorance of reality.
Yes, but when you look at the audiobook market over the past 20 years, they are so much more affordable now.

It used to be that the only way to get an audiobook was to pay $30-$40 for a case of CDs, when the paperback was $3-$5. Today, the effective price of an audiobook is only $10-$15, compared to $7-$10 for a paperback or kindle edition. So it seems odd to accuse publishers of nickel and diming us on audiobook prices.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:49 AM   #28
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I think the publishers are going to win this one. Audio and text are licensed separately. Too bad, I think it would be a nice featre
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:39 PM   #29
haertig
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
Yes, but when you look at the audiobook market over the past 20 years, they are so much more affordable now.

It used to be that the only way to get an audiobook was to pay $30-$40 for a case of CDs, when the paperback was $3-$5. Today, the effective price of an audiobook is only $10-$15, compared to $7-$10 for a paperback or kindle edition. So it seems odd to accuse publishers of nickel and diming us on audiobook prices.
Lots of things are that way. I remember paying $800 for a 17" computer monitor about 25 years ago. You can now buy that size for about $65. So if they jacked up the current price to $150, would you buy one and say, "Gee, that's so much cheaper than they used to be 25 years ago!"

Comparing the cost of a box of CD's from years ago to the flash memory storage of today makes about as much sense as comparing an old CRT computer monitor's cost to a new LCD panel.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #30
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW2, various Android devices
There might be an argument for ADA access for some books. I know I have 2 books which are not available in any text form. If this technology is available that will allow people with hearing difficulty (my aunt and uncle come to mind) to enjoy some books they wouldn't have otherwise been able to read.

Podcasts and other audio only formats could also really see a boost from this. I listen to several podcasts where having a caption would be very nice. Either due to the presenter's accent or just not hearing something clearly.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote