Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-24-2019, 07:30 AM   #31
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
Ohh! I wants it! Very exciting!
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:34 AM   #32
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Ikr. Seems like no matter what Barnes and Nobles does ..even if they are still in there trying. Someone has to find something stupid to complain about....

It actually sounds like a pretty nice device.
Who's complaining here? Kindly keep your opinion of what's "stupid" to yourself.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2019, 07:43 AM   #33
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I got it off a press release site. That is what B&N is saying is the new device.
I think the image is probably real. It's VERY similar to the Glowlight 3, but the side bezels in the new photo seem a bit slimmer (proportionally) than those of the Glow 3.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:19 AM   #34
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, PW4, Voyage, Oasis 2, Oasis 3
This may be the first Nook I actually want to buy

I'll wait to find out whether the limited partition for sideloaded books is gone as I have not bought books from B&N for years and have no intention of resuming.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:12 AM   #35
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
This may be the first Nook I actually want to buy

I'll wait to find out whether the limited partition for sideloaded books is gone...
That is what I'm waiting for. I don't think partitioning works like they think it will. It doesn't drive up B&N sales. Mostly it just infuriates their customers.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #36
kyrilson
Addict
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Now there, I agree with you!

Hopefully ALL of the empty space is available for sideloading from the get-go, much like the original Glowlight Plus.

It was changing the partitions on the Glowlight 3 that cause the stability issues I believe. As my original Glowlight Plus is more stable and faster than my Glowlight 3.

Other than that, my only realistic hopes for improved Nook software are bring back the 'Current Read' button in the top left instead of the useless 'Profile' button that's there now, and stop nagging me to turn on the Wi-Fi. I know it's off. It saves battery.

If we're venturing into fantasy land, display series information on sideloaded books like Kobo does. And allow me to turn off the ads/book store recs that fill the bottom half of the home screen.
Agreed. I really like the hardware and physical buttons of the Nooks, but Kobo does the sideloaded books thing much better (with the exception of syncing, but I can live without it).
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #37
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Who's complaining here? Kindly keep your opinion of what's "stupid" to yourself.
Sorry. Call them like I see them.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:07 PM   #38
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Yep, it's very personal. I did end up with 8" (Forma) via 6" (Cybook Gen3) -> 9.7" (Kindle DXG) -> 6.8" (Aura HD/H2O) -> 7.8" (Aura ONE).

I bought the Forma because I wanted the buttons
And you can buy the Nook for the same reason if you wish. Some might buy it for Android.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #39
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
And you can buy the Nook for the same reason if you wish. Some might buy it for Android.

Dale
I've missed any announcement that it runs android. (That would be another strike against it IMO.)
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:19 PM   #40
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I've missed any announcement that it runs android. (That would be another strike against it IMO.)
Nook has always used Android OS although it may be a closed copy that needs liberation. They do, however, use their own app so it may be invisible to the user.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:41 PM   #41
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Yeah, I think they've stopped touting it, but all Nook software runs on top of Android, like all Kobo software runs on top of Linux* (doesn't Kindle also run on Linux?).

*Yes, I know, Android is a Linux derivative.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:48 PM   #42
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Nook has always used Android OS although it may be a closed copy that needs liberation. They do, however, use their own app so it may be invisible to the user.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah, I think they've stopped touting it, but all Nook software runs on top of Android, like all Kobo software runs on top of Linux* (doesn't Kindle also run on Linux?).

*Yes, I know, Android is a Linux derivative.
My ignorance.

Carry on.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #43
lumpynose
Guru
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
So Android is hidden away? You can't install Android apps? That seems like a weird thing to do since it's adding another layer of software (and consuming ram and storage). One advantage would be that it provides the "windowing" user interface, dialog boxes, and whatnot. But it shouldn't be that hard to write one since the linux e-readers have done it; they could be using some sort of minimal or low level X11.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:54 PM   #44
Ryzir
Enthusiast
Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
It is a stripped down version of android not locked or really even hidden. No Google play, no Google services. Nook library is set as launcher.

You can use ADB to side load a launcher, file explorer, reader, dictionary, etc. and never have to use the B&N software. Without rooting even.

Last edited by Ryzir; 05-24-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:02 PM   #45
lumpynose
Guru
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzir View Post
It is a stripped down version of android not locked or really even hidden. No Google play, no Google services. Nook library is set as launcher.

You can use ADB to side load a launcher, file explorer, reader, dictionary, etc. and never have to use the B&N software. Without rooting even.
Huh, interesting. I like that last part about being able to use ADB.

I'm still wondering what the trade offs are between a stripped down android versus linux.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote