Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-08-2019, 02:49 AM   #1
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura ONE, Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Keyboard
Kobo Forma: how to reset?

Does anybody know how to (properly) reset the Kobo Forma? I don't mean a factory reset, just a restart.

It's not that I haven't managed to do so. But the how remains opaque to me, weirdly. What I've done is just pressed the on/off button for an unconscionable amount of time. Usually nothing happens. Then I release it, and press it again... and usually it will then restart.
But that's a little haphazard. What's the proper procedure?
As far as I can see, the Kobo online help pages only provide explanation about a basic reset for other moddels (with a hole you can press a paperclip iin) and for a factory reset (which is not what I want). Or did I overlook a help page?
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:27 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Holding the power button down for five seconds or so should trigger a shutdown. When that happens it will display the powered off screen. If the device has hung, holding it down for longer than that, will force a power off. I'm not sure how long is needed, but, I always say 20 seconds in the factory reset instructions. When you do this, the screen doesn't change.

And the manual I found on the Kobo support site, has instructions for turning the device off on page 59. The manual is at https://kbdownload1-a.akamaihd.net/m...erGuide-EN.pdf.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2019, 02:02 AM   #3
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura ONE, Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Keyboard
Thanks, that's useful.
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:28 PM   #4
CatShark
CatShark began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Aura One
Thanks for the link. It's very helpful. It's way better than the tiny little bit of paper Kobo ships with the device.
CatShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:58 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
The manuals are available on the devices. They are under the help item in the main menu. And they do get updated with the firmware. Probably not as often as they should, but the version on my Glo HD seems to be cover changes made since it was released.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2019, 10:37 AM   #6
rashkae
Guru
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Too bad the manual doesn't mention the little detail that holding the power button on a frozen Kobo for several seconds will force a shutdown. The only way to know you've successfully shutdown is to press and hold the power button again for 2 - 3 seconds, and the screen should finally change to the boot squares.

My Forma is, sadly, less than perfectly stable and I've become very familiar with this process. I need it roughly every 2 weeks.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:35 PM   #7
CatShark
CatShark began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Aura One
Thanks again, davidfor. Wow that's frequent, rashkae.

My forma froze and I pressed and held the power button a few different times and for various durations and the device stubbornly remained frozen. Eventually I had to hold both the power button and the next page button simultaneously and after a few seconds it went into factory reset.

It wasn't ideal, but it go things going again. I had to leave my WiFi on for about a half hou or more to allow things to reinstall. Many books I had been reading had to be re-downloade - that was a nuisance.

Well, life goes on.
CatShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:38 AM   #8
BilboBaggins
BilboBaggins began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Clara HD Kobo Aura One, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatShark View Post
Thanks again, davidfor. Wow that's frequent, rashkae.

My forma froze and I pressed and held the power button a few different times and for various durations and the device stubbornly remained frozen. Eventually I had to hold both the power button and the next page button simultaneously and after a few seconds it went into factory reset.

It wasn't ideal, but it go things going again. I had to leave my WiFi on for about a half hou or more to allow things to reinstall. Many books I had been reading had to be re-downloade - that was a nuisance.

Well, life goes on.
Which firmware version your Forma have?
Do you leave your Forma in sleeping state or you turn it off when you end your reading session?
BilboBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:37 PM   #9
pocket_rocket
pocket_rocket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocket_rocket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocket_rocket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocket_rocket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocket_rocket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocket_rocket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocket_rocket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocket_rocket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocket_rocket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocket_rocket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pocket_rocket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several Nooks, Kobos, Kindles, tablets
The Forma is JUNK. I've got the same issue. Kobo tech support tells me to hold down the power button for 15 seconds and then press the page turn button. Nothing. Since I bought this factory sealed on Ebay and not them, they won't help. They made this pile of junk so they should replace it regardless of where it came from. Stick with Kindles. Convert epubs to mobi and they work fine. Kobos have gone down the toilet, this Forma is really cheaply put together and the power button is so hard to push. I'm chalking the 230 I spent up to experience and getting a closeout Oasis. That, at least, will work properly.
pocket_rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:00 AM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocket_rocket View Post
The Forma is JUNK. I've got the same issue. Kobo tech support tells me to hold down the power button for 15 seconds and then press the page turn button. Nothing. Since I bought this factory sealed on Ebay and not them, they won't help. They made this pile of junk so they should replace it regardless of where it came from. Stick with Kindles. Convert epubs to mobi and they work fine. Kobos have gone down the toilet, this Forma is really cheaply put together and the power button is so hard to push. I'm chalking the 230 I spent up to experience and getting a closeout Oasis. That, at least, will work properly.
Interesting. In the 9+ months since I purchased a Forma, my wife has only had one issue where we had to force power off the Forma after a hang and she has required no factory resets. Prior to the change of possession, I had triggered several factory resets while playing with it.

Factory sealed on eBay? Are you absolutely certain about that factory sealing? The last "new" ereader I purchased from eBay had somehow managed to obtain a firmware update and registration while in it's "factory sealed" box. Other giveaways were the lack of the plastic screen protection sheet and the USB cable.

BTW, as far as I am aware, the Forma factory reset procedure consists of:
  1. plugging your Forma into a charger for at least one hour
  2. holding down the power button for up to 20 seconds to ensure that it is forced off
  3. press one of the page turn buttons and hold it pressed
  4. press and hold the power button.
  5. continue to hold both buttons until the screen flashes and the reset starts. In my limited experience this took 20-40 seconds.

Last edited by DNSB; 08-03-2019 at 01:03 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote