Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2019, 03:31 PM   #256
desterly
desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: KV,Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@frostschutz: I was vaguely wondering if we could somewhat get rid of the delay= shenanigans by plotting a pixel (say, the last one on the bottom right) in a specific sentinel color (say, 0xEE), then checking regularly if it hadn't been cleared to white (as the very bottom-right corner pixel ought to be white pretty much everywhere except the USB screen), which would indicate that the page has been redrawn...
That would only work after a full screen refresh though no?

IE: I have mine set to only refresh after X number of pages (say 10). With this method, pages 1-9 the pixel would still be set.

What we really need is a way to

1) check if currently reading a book (probably could get this from the events but would need to watch the sqlite db then)

2) monitor for frame buffer calls...

If both of those were true, the clock would need to be redrawn.

This is an off the wall question I know but has anyone looked into using the actual Kobo plugins to extend functionality??

Ran across an older github example that shows doing things like hiding the footer, etc utilizing that.

Last edited by desterly; 07-25-2019 at 04:06 PM.
desterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:04 PM   #257
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
Nope, the reader re-renders the full page no matter what (you can check by running fbink -Vmph -y -1 " ", that'll draw a black band at the bottom of the screen).

(Note that *drawing* and *refreshing* are two different concepts. Although, in this case, it's somewhat irrelevant, since the reader does *both* anyway. Whether the screen flashes or not is simply another *type* of refresh . strace -fitv -e trace=ioctl -X verbose -p $(pidof nickel) if you want to take a look at what's happening on the refresh front.).

1/ We've tried that before, and the results were... inconclusive (IIRC, the least unreliable way was the Event table, which is only updated in batches, and needs to be actively tracked to pinpoint what actually happened, which makes the whole thing tedious and not-actually terribly reliable ;p).
I don't recall where the latest round of discussions occurred, exactly, but there was a small amount of messages on the subject, with at least @davidfor and myself participating, if you want to take a look at that . (It, err, might even be in this very thread, come to think of it ).

2/ That's essentially what @frostschutz was hinting at by mentioning the nightmode hack (because it interposes the MXCFB refresh ioctl).
While hooking that, and writing to the fb before executing the incoming call as-is might be neat, the extra processing involved might end up significantly delaying the call. Probably better to just pass it through, and simply do another draw+refresh *after* that.

AFAIK (before my time), the plugins system dates back to earlier Qt4 versions of Nickel, so, nope .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-25-2019 at 06:15 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:11 PM   #258
desterly
desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.desterly is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: KV,Kobo Forma
Quote:
2/ That's essentially what @frostschutz was hinting at by mentioning the nightmode hack (because it interposes the MXCFB refresh ioctl).
While hooking that, and writing to the fb before executing the call as-is might be neat, the extra processing involved might end up significantly delaying the call. Probably better to just pass it through, and simply do another draw+refresh *after* that.

AFAIK (before my time), the plugins system dates back to earlier Qt4 versions of Nickel, so, nope .
Well... I was thinking (or wishing there was a way) of a way to do it w/out having to utilize a LD_PRELOAD to hook into ioctl

The plugins system is actually still in the recent firmware... I'm looking at it in IDA right now. Be interesting to see if we can still utilize it (even if no one hasn't yet). I'm sure it needs to be updated from the existing examples as they are a few years old.

I might setup the koboreader build box and see if it still works. If it does and can be hooked into readingview, even if it still utilizes FBInk, it might simplify a few other things.
desterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:33 PM   #259
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, StoryHD, PW4
Well... I (think I) have an improvement for the current freeze issue, and I'll reimplement the touchscreen/button option that went missing last update, and then... it's gotta be "good enough" at some point. Delays and such are customizable for a reason after all...

I'll upload a new version over the weekend. Hopefully to be the final version, at least for a while.

Tracking pixels is not something I will explore myself, good luck to anyone who makes the attempt... when reading Japanese ebooks, the pageflips actually don't re-draw full screen for me, top and bottom rows of pixels survive.

(edit: actually just the top few rows, after testing it again just now... even so, full page re-draws are not guaranteed so perhaps track the bounding box [four corners] of the clock display itself?)

Last edited by frostschutz; 07-25-2019 at 06:41 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:17 PM   #260
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
Huh. Wouldn't have thought there'd be extra shenanigans for Japanese...

For reference, after an eval $(fbink -e) the final *visible* pixel can be read by our friend dd as such:

dd if=/dev/fb0 skip=$(( ((viewWidth - 1) * (BPP>>3)) + ((viewHeight + (viewVertOrigin - viewVertOffset) - 1) * lineLength) )) count=$((BPP>>3)) bs=1

(It's essentially (x * bpp/4) + (y * line_length), with extra craptastic arithmetics because of the crappy viewports on the H2O & Aura, to make sure we don't end up reading a dead, under the bezel pixel, which Nickel won't necessarily touch).

Pipe to hexdump -vC for testing .

EDIT²: Fixed it! With a bit of help from FBInk master, because I wasn't exporting line_length before.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-25-2019 at 08:00 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:20 PM   #261
Bean_There
Bean_There began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
@Bean_There: Full list here (i.e., GRAY1 to GRAYE in base16).

Triffic, thanks for that!
Bean_There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:10 AM   #262
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Well... I (think I) have an improvement for the current freeze issue, and I'll reimplement the touchscreen/button option that went missing last update, and then... it's gotta be "good enough" at some point. Delays and such are customizable for a reason after all...
another day, another update. it should be more resilient to freezes and no longer miss inputs then

the touchscreen=1, button=1 that stopped working in the last few experimental updates, now merged into a generic input_devices settings:

Code:
#
# which /dev/input/eventX number devices to listen to
#
# input_devices=1    - event1 = touchscreen
# input_devices=0    - event0 = keyboard/buttons/magnet
# input_devices=1 0  - event1 event0 = both of the above
#
input_devices=1 0
so if a future device decides to change those numbers you can still configure it anyway

download here (20190729 version)

If you have any issues with it please don't report them to me because I don't want to update it anymore

j/k, let me know if it works
Old 07-29-2019, 10:01 AM   #263
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kobo: Aura6", H2O, GloHD, KA1, ClaraHD, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
another day, another update. it should be more resilient to freezes and no longer miss inputs then

the touchscreen=1, button=1 that stopped working in the last few experimental updates, now merged into a generic input_devices settings:

Code:
#
# which /dev/input/eventX number devices to listen to
#
# input_devices=1    - event1 = touchscreen
# input_devices=0    - event0 = keyboard/buttons/magnet
# input_devices=1 0  - event1 event0 = both of the above
#
input_devices=1 0
If you have any issues with it please don't report them to me because I don't want to update it anymore

j/k, let me know if it works
Buttons no longer working at all, even after a reboot. Touch seems to be OK.

I must admit I'm totally confused because you say that button=1 is no longer required (and has been removed from miniclock.example.cfg) but there is still a reference to it in miniclock.sh (line 180). Does this mean that the built-in patch to libnickel is no longer required either?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:27 AM   #264
frostschutz
Linux User

Damnation, I forgot about the patch. X_X It worked for me because of course, the patch was already applied.

now, if you look closely there is version B

Last edited by frostschutz; 07-29-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:25 AM   #265
jamalau
Enthusiast
jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Forma
Works well with my Forma, thanks!

Gesendet von meinem SM-N960F mit Tapatalk
jamalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:30 PM   #266
poczynek
Enthusiast
poczynek can name that song in three notespoczynek can name that song in three notespoczynek can name that song in three notespoczynek can name that song in three notespoczynek can name that song in three notespoczynek can name that song in three notespoczynek can name that song in three notespoczynek can name that song in three notespoczynek can name that song in three notespoczynek can name that song in three notespoczynek can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Forma
EDIT: worked it out!

Last edited by poczynek; 08-07-2019 at 08:37 PM.
poczynek is offline   Reply With Quote