Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
Mel_Putra
Enthusiast
Mel_Putra is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-300
Can I use foreign AC Charger with US PRS-300?

I will be visiting US next month and will buy PRS-300. My problem is the voltage level in the US vs my home country (Malaysia - 240v, US - 120v). I intend to use an AC Charger rather than charging it thru USB. If I buy the AC Charger from US I will need to forever use a converter back in Malaysia. Can I use an AC Charger sold in Malaysia? Or am I resigned to forever using a converter? Sorry... I don't really understand the voltage point.. is it in the ebook reader or the charger? I assume it is in the charger since they won't be making appliances with differring voltages to fit different countries' voltage...?

Mel
Mel_Putra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:29 AM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Different chargers have different operating input voltage. You can normally read what input voltages it supports on the charger.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
jotekman
Enthusiast
jotekman is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-300
Check the back of the charger brick. If it says 110-240v, then you will be able to use it back home with a simple plug adapter rather than a converter. I have a few things I have bought from the U.S. which I use that way.
Otherwise, you should be just fine buying a Malaysian sold one, as the little brick actually changes it to DC from the AC coming from the wall, so regardless of the voltage coming in, the out should be the same for both of them. I believe the Sony PRS-300 takes 5.2v. You can also buy a Sony PSP charger while there which would solve your problem as well (well, according to the forums I have read.
You can also charge just fine with a computer or laptop but you said you wont be doing that, so another option, buy one of those plug-ins when you get there that allows you to plug in a usb directly to a wall converter (I have charged my PRS-300 that way, and I live in Bulgaria, after buying the PRS-300 from the U.S.)
Have a great trip!
jotekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
Mel_Putra
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotekman View Post
I believe the Sony PRS-300 takes 5.2v. Or buy one of those plug-ins when you get there that allows you to plug in a usb directly to a wall converter (I have charged my PRS-300 that way, and I live in Bulgaria, after buying the PRS-300 from the U.S.)
Hi Jotekman,
I don't understand when you say that PRS-300 takes 5.2v... I thought in the US the voltage is 110v?

As for this plug-in that allows us to plug in a usb directly to a wall converter... What does it look like and what is it called?

Mel
Old 07-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel_Putra View Post
Hi Jotekman,
I don't understand when you say that PRS-300 takes 5.2v... I thought in the US the voltage is 110v?
The Sony Reader requires 5.2V DC to charge. It's entirely irrelevent what the mains voltage is - you need a charger whose output voltage is 5.2V and which can supply at least 2A. Actually a 5V charger works just fine.

Any charger designed for the Sony Playstation Portable (PSP) works fine with the Reader; you should be able to find a PSP charger in any game shop.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 04:42 AM   #6
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
You can get away with way less than 2A, I just use a solar charger that has an output of about 500ma, it even charges up enough in winter in the Uk to keep my books charged
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
jotekman
Enthusiast
jotekman is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-300
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough, but HarryT explained it well. Like I said, when it is changed to DC you need 5.2v.
The little USB charger thing is sold in just about anyplace that sells ipod/iphone accessories..... for example: here is one that is for the UK, but I think you will get the picture. Actually, doesn't Malaysia use the G type plug as the UK does?
jotekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #8
Mel_Putra
Enthusiast

yes, we use the same G type charger... I will buy the Sony PSP charger. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Philips Charger SGP5012/27

In the US, I bought the above Philips charger for the PlayStation Portable. It plugs into the wall and has a plug for the cigarette lighter. Very convenient, not much bigger than a deck of cards and it cost $20US, less than the factory unit (at Walmart).
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote