Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-19-2017, 06:58 AM   #31
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post

AFAIK the currently used in Onyx devices chip sets will not be supported by Android versions higher than 4.4.4
Thanks for the reply. That's what I assumed; it's good to have confirmation of this. Looking forward to 4.4 on my K-Pro, and I'm very interested in the new Note!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:20 AM   #32
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Additionally the higher processor performance in ereaders is not really of big importance. The decision to move to new processors architecture was made in first line to offer higher Android versions compatible chip sets.
I disagree. For an Android eReader it's important to have fast processor speed. I have the impression that the Onyx Boox Max 1 browser and other Android apps aren't that responsive. It's good to have a hot coffee on the side.

So a quad core processor is a good thing to have in an e-reader.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2017, 03:43 PM   #33
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Not sure what Dasung really does offer. AFAIK they call it Floyd-Warshall algorithm in they Pro devices. Onyx develops own techniques in order to achieve better screen performance. We have implemented the Floyd-Steinberg Dithering. I don’t know if both of the Floyd algorithm are of same efficiency.
Interesting. I did some research and you are right, the algorithm the PaperlikePro uses is called Floyd-Warshall. The PPpro has 3 modes, A2, A5 and Floyd, the latter of which uses the FW algorithm.

Now my question to you is, when does the Floyd-Steinberg algorithm become active on the MaxPro, is there a button for it ?

Also, this is what Nate wrote a month ago on the Dasung Floyd mode : "It's a feature competitors will have to copy or duplicate should they release an E-ink monitor"

Thoughts ? It appears to me , Onyx has taken caren of this ?
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:39 PM   #34
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
when does the Floyd-Steinberg algorithm become active on the MaxPro, is there a button for it ?
I may have misunderstood what Booxtor wrote about it, but in case I did not: have you noticed how A2 works? There exists no unique implementation. Yes, you use the highest contrast per dot, but how do you distribute it? Some firmwares on some devices implement threshold (shilouette), some dithering, some other distributions of blacks and whites in between.

EDIT: maybe this could clarify, https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-93396

Last edited by mdp; 10-19-2017 at 05:12 PM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:30 AM   #35
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
The shown device is still prototype. Some changes in appearance are to expect. E.g I permanently ask them to re-design hardware buttons and re-position of the power button.
Thanks Booxtor, because the buttons to turn the pages are unusable in the bottom left part of the device. In the present situation, if you hold the device to read with your two hands, you must release one hand to change the page : SILLY !
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2017, 07:09 PM   #36
LeeKane
LeeKane began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis and Kobo Aura One
Onyx e note and max have front light

I've been waiting for the e-note and max as I was hoping for something with front light in a larger screen. Any news on light? The rest sounds terrific (except for the SD card missing on e Note) Thanks
LeeKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:47 AM   #37
M4H35H
Connoisseur
M4H35H doesn't litterM4H35H doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950, Hanvon E920, Onyx Boox Note Lite, Boox Max2
Anybody else notice that there is a second's delay and then the text appears all at once on the Max2 monitor? Also what if I don't want to clone the display but extend the desktop?
M4H35H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:48 AM   #38
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4H35H View Post
Anybody else notice that there is a second's delay and then the text appears all at once on the Max2 monitor? Also what if I don't want to clone the display but extend the desktop?
Yes, it was noted*, no, I do not think it is normal for HDMI. But look: to have some insight, why don't you find a video of the latest Dasung, and see if it does the same? It must be the *latest*, third generation - the former were not HDMI. I would search myself, but I currently do not enjoy "video sufficient" Internet infrastructure.
Anyway, lag may not be big problem if mouse cursor is kept local and updated quickly (the EPD screen can do 125ms).

Extend the desktop: that should not be a problem.

*There's a pretty big thread just parallel from here you may have missed.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:50 AM   #39
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Yes, it was noted*, no, I do not think it is normal for HDMI. But look: to have some insight, why don't you find a video of the latest Dasung, and see if it does the same? It must be the *latest*, third generation - the former were not HDMI. I would search myself, but I currently do not enjoy "video sufficient" Internet infrastructure.
Anyway, lag may not be big problem if mouse cursor is kept local and updated quickly (the EPD screen can do 125ms).

Here a very good comparison of A16, Floyd and A2 mode in Dasung Pro (the latest)
https://youtu.be/ZoUOHMh2q1M?list=PL...5R7w1n42GTIx11
Se this post for details:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...58#post3599158
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:24 AM   #40
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

An input lag of 1 second would be a problem. It's not possible to use a GUI with that lag.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:27 AM   #41
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by desk7 View Post
Here a very good comparison of A16, Floyd and A2 mode in Dasung Pro (the latest)
https://youtu.be/ZoUOHMh2q1M?list=PL...5R7w1n42GTIx11
Se this post for details:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...58#post3599158
That's great, Desk7! Unfortunately, I will not be able to check it until Sunday. Could you please reveal if the delay is there or not, in Dasung's HDMI based system? If it is there (I doubt), there is some bottleneck I do not understand with the technology. If it is not there, there is an error in Onix' presentation in Tw.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:30 AM   #42
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
An input lag of 1 second would be a problem. It's not possible to use a GUI with that lag.
It is possible to use a GUI, if the mouse is updated almost instantly.
You can do that e.g. using remote desktop with local mouse pointer rendering. (Or you can go fully touch.)
Old 10-25-2017, 01:40 PM   #43
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
It is possible to use a GUI, if the mouse is updated almost instantly.
You can do that e.g. using remote desktop with local mouse pointer rendering. (Or you can go fully touch.)
Yes, if the mouse is updated instantly it works.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:49 PM   #44
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by desk7 View Post
Ok, I managed to see a low resolution version of the "Full Review, Part 1".

The "Normal" mode works much, much better on the Max Carta (repeat: *on* the MaxCarta). On the Dasung it has the same "occasionality" in displaying the mouse cursor than I am seeing on the latest Icarus/Boyue. I am sure that is a bad configuration.

The "A2" mode on the Dasung is implemented badly: again, that is using threshold instead of dithering. That is not a good implementation of A2. Freescale/NXP implemented it right in 2012, and on the MaxCarta (re-implemented, apparently) it does it job amazingly.

The Floyd mode: I cannot download the high quality video - too bad as I would only need one frame -, but given how it behaves, is it possible that it is an "A2 with (Floyd?) dithering" mode? Can anybody check (maybe through `youtube-dl` or similar) if the images in the "Floyd" mode use 16 shades or dithered black and white?

EDIT: also: I loaded it in a video editor, I see that the A2/Floyd mode is still 8fps (125ms), no revolution there. On other Dasung videos it seemed much faster. Checked on the mouse cursor update at seconds 8:06 and 8:07

The video gives no possibility to verify any lag between traditional monitor and Dasung. I see that desk7 asked directly to the uploader if he could divulge.

Last edited by mdp; 10-26-2017 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Removed possible ambiguities
Old 10-26-2017, 04:12 PM   #45
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
An input lag of 1 second would be a problem.
20 frames over 25, ~800ms delay.
It looks worse, but it is not enormous (some EPD modes have a 600ms lag).

Last edited by mdp; 10-26-2017 at 07:05 PM. Reason: A mistaken sentence was erroneously saved