Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #31
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I thought B&N used their own unique DRM variant? They support ADE too? That's nice to know.

I was told yesterday, when I (finally) reserved one of these at John Lewis, that the price was due to go back up at the end of this week.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #32
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I thought B&N used their own unique DRM variant? They support ADE too? That's nice to know.

I was told yesterday, when I (finally) reserved one of these at John Lewis, that the price was due to go back up at the end of this week.
The Nook readers and apps accept ADEPT DRM'ed ebooks. (Necessary for Library book support.)
The Nook ebookstore sells ebooks with their own DRM instead of the generic ADEPT DRM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #33
Matth79
Zealot
Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Both Kobo and B&N list free ebooks the same way. You start with a title/subject search and select free or low-to-high. Both list over 1 million free titles so they needed a way to limit the results. At B&N you can just enter "free nook books" in search and they list 1.8 million titles where you can then break it down by category.

FYI, In case you weren't aware. The nook can read Kobo ebooks without rooting (non-kepubs).

Thanks, the "free nook books" brings up a quite decent selection, all with good covers, but the "filter: free only" at kobo is a lot more intuitive... but then, I've been finding stuff for mum's Kobo for a lot longer than I've been checking out Nook / B&N. Actually, just FREE on its own seems to be enough to get into the free catalog.

It seems that getting to a specific book (is there a free version) is more awkward though - if you add FREE, it mucks up the search, or if you sort low to high, it brins up a lot of junk.

Oh yes, native format - EPUB (non-DRM, their DRM & ADE?), so for a Kobo freebie, double up & download the EPUB.

And they got rid of the hidden browser (removed in 1.1, don't suppose it came back in 1.2.1) - blimey, there's be outcry if Kobo did that, as it's so handy.
Matth79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #34
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth79 View Post

Thanks, the "free nook books" brings up a quite decent selection, all with good covers, but the "filter: free only" at kobo is a lot more intuitive... but then, I've been finding stuff for mum's Kobo for a lot longer than I've been checking out Nook / B&N. Actually, just FREE on its own seems to be enough to get into the free catalog.

It seems that getting to a specific book (is there a free version) is more awkward though - if you add FREE, it mucks up the search, or if you sort low to high, it brins up a lot of junk.

Oh yes, native format - EPUB (non-DRM, their DRM & ADE?), so for a Kobo freebie, double up & download the EPUB.

And they got rid of the hidden browser (removed in 1.1, don't suppose it came back in 1.2.1) - blimey, there's be outcry if Kobo did that, as it's so handy.
I agree there is a lot of "junk" and it does help if you know title or author. You need some way to break down 1,800,000 free titles.

Yes, ADE epubs work fine on NST.

Don't forget to check your local library for ebooks ... free free.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:25 PM   #35
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
What they hadn't tried, until now, was a *big* price cut.
If they match it on this side of the atlantic I might buy two or three for XMAS stocking stuffers.
Check out this thread. $19.97 at Radio Shack. I'm going shopping tomorrow. Hava a friend who mentioned he was debating an e-reader. For $20 I can give him one.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #36
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Check out this thread. $19.97 at Radio Shack. I'm going shopping tomorrow. Hava a friend who mentioned he was debating an e-reader. For $20 I can give him one.
Buy two and get a $10 coupon towards a future purchase
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #37
frodex
frodex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
If only I live in USA...
frodex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #38
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That was my thought, but it's impossible to find one.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #39
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
My GlowLight has arrived. I'm very pleased overall, but the frontlight isa bit blue for my taste, and the extra glow at the top is irritating.

OTOH, the gadget itself seems very nicely done. I like the option or turning pages by touch or by button.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #40
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
OTOH, the gadget itself seems very nicely done. I like the option or turning pages by touch or by button.
I like having the option of touch or button, too, though I generally think my K3 is the better device. I'm probably going to use the Nook primarily, though, simply because it's smaller and will fit in a pocket more easily
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #41
take2teach
take2teach began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
They went fast at Radio Shack. Gone within 24 hours.
take2teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:07 AM   #42
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
There seem to be many differences between the US and UK stores. Has anyone found a way of buying gift cards that can be used at Nook UK, for instance?
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:08 AM   #43
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
[QUOTE=Matth79;2506865B&N, the only way to search free is to sort price ascending, and the amount of junk/dupes is many times worse than at Kobo. [/QUOTE]

You can search using 0.00 and subject, for example: "0.00 crime".
You can then sort by best-selling or top matches to see popular free books, and avoid junk.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #44
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Got my nook simple touch, rooted it and tonight going to try and install kindle app on it
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #45
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I got mine on Tuesday. I thought the built-in firmware seemed quite reasonable, and didn't see much point in rooting it. The real test will be when I try reading a book on it, though. (And it looks like John Lewis were wrong about the offer expiring last week.)

My third ereader, and yet two thirds of the books I've read this year have been pbooks.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rdlecoeur