Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
momtodogs
Lovin' the e-life!!!
momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini
Question I need Sony device advice

I recently stumbled across a sweet deal for a Sopny PRS-600, and purchased it. I have a Sony PRS-505, and I love it (it is my first e-reader.) The only reason I was shopping around, is that I would like to give a reader to my niece (she loves mysteries, and I plan on loading it up for her.)

I told my sister about the 600 I just got, and she said, "Why don't you keep the new one and send her the 505?"

Should I, or shouldn't I.....?

The touch screen menu on the 600 is nice, but the screen seems to be harder to read (more reflection/glare.) I am prone to eye fatigue.

As I said, I love my 505, and the 'touch' screen was never a selling point for me.........but the 600 is such a pretty red....
momtodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
Either way, it's very nice of you to be giving an ereader to your niece.

My opinion: Give her the new one. You'll feel (even) better giving her a new gift. You won't have to do as much work reshuffling books. You like your 505 screen better. The pretty red color of the 600 fades along with the rest of the real world when you're absorbed reading anyway.

Last edited by hughes; 04-13-2011 at 10:53 AM.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
And pour a glass of righteous wine......................

'cos you've done A Very Good Thing.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Take a week and read on the 600. See how you feel about it after you have used it. If the glare bothers you, then keep the 505 and buy a red decal (I am blanking on what they are really called) to put on your 505.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
I tried to get he wife to trade me her 600 for my 505 with no luck. This is fine since I really like the 505. It keeps better tabs of where you are and is better for history. Your choice for sure but I would opt for giving her the new 600.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
Send her the 600. Assuming she has never used a reader before she would not notice the difference in the screens. I tried the 600 for a few days and could not get past the screen difference compared to my 505.
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Give her the 600 and get yourself a 650 instead
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Purrrfect answer!
Old 04-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Give her the 600 and get yourself a 650 instead
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
Janette55
Connoisseur
Janette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it is

Device: Sony 900
You are thinking of skins to cover the reader. Here is the link. I ordered one for my Sony 900, I can't wait for it to arrive, I now have to find a good cover for it, seems that a lot of places aren't making them for the 900.

On that note, I don't know her age so you may want to consider getting her a cover to protect the reader.

I have been asking about which one is good to get a kid, as I am seriously planning on getting one for my grandson for Christmas.

http://www.decalgirl.com/
Janette55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:00 PM   #11
momtodogs
Lovin' the e-life!!!
momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini
Smile Thank you!!

Thank you soooo much for the input. This community is awesome!

I have decided to stay with my PRS-505 (my first 'love'.) Unfortunately, I have since found out that my niece, the minx, has recently purchased a Kindle. Sigh....

Not to worry, though. I have decided to send the 600 to my favorite aunt, who is thrilled!!! Her son recently had open heart surgery, and she had to spend a lot of time, just sitting, in the waiting room at the hospital. No more tote bag full of books for her, if, God forbid, she has to endure that again.

I'm just as happy being a favorite niece, as a favorite aunt.
momtodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:25 AM   #12
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Excellent!

Happiness all around (as long as your Aunt's son recovered well!)

I gave my first ereader, a PRS-600, to my Mom and bought a PRS-900 for myself. It's possible that will now become a gift (probably to my Dad ) as I recently purchased a Pocket eDGe and I don't really need 2 perfectly good ereaders. Or do I?? Hmmmm. The Sony is better for travelling (longer battery life), and the eDGe is better for looking up interesting bits of information I stumble across when I read.

Anyway, happy you solved your dilemma so handily!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
benham
Guru

Tell us about your eDGe. Does it do everything that amazon says it does?
Old 04-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #14
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Get a light (mighty bright travelflex) and use Calibre to convert books to a bold font to help get over the 600 screen.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #15
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Benham:

Let me go check Amazon!

It does a lot, and I am happy with it, but it is not intuitive or super easy to learn. Once you know how to do whatever it is you want to do it is easy to use, but learning (at least for me!) is a bit slow. So if you have no patience with new/different technologies, I say no eDGe for you!

On the other hand, here's what I've learned to do so far: Surf the web, download books direct from the library or through my computer (using Calibre or Adobe Digital Editions), download and play audio books (from the library), download and use Android apps -- some work, some don't -- from Amazon App market or any number of places on the internet (just not Google Market), open Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents (I think you can edit them as well), send and receive email -- including attached books! , open a webpage on the e-ink side as either an epub or pdf document, draw and handwrite on the e-ink side, save as pdf and send as email attachment (I thought that was pretty cool when I figured it out! ), open a table of contents for the book I'm reading on the tablet side which allows me to navigate to pages I have highlighted or attached webpages or notes to, open a map or illustration from a book I am reading on the e-ink side on the tablet side -- in color, if it is -- then enlarge or shrink that image and move it around with my stylus or finger . . . .

Um, maybe I have learned a lot after all!

There's more -- just today I figured out how to connect to other computers on my home LAN, wirelessly, so that I can access my husband's Calibre library as well as my own! And I have digital radio, a voice recorder (haven't tried it yet), camera -- works as well as the one on my cell phone, etc.

Oh, if you're reading and want to look something up, you select the word or words, tap the search icon on the reader side, and a window opens on the tablet side that lets you search for that word/phrase 4 ways: dictionary, Google, Wikipedia, or within the book. Also, for navigation, besides the table of contents (which I suppose is only in some books), there's a percentage slider, actual page numbers, a go-back button, an icon to tap for a specific page number, and the usual forward and back buttons.

There's a calendar and contacts list . . . . . . there's a lot!

I'm gonna check Amazon now and see what I missed!

Well . . . you asked!!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote