Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
Do Kobo books need tweaking before loading to a PRS-350 or PRS-650?

If I buy a PRS-350 or PRS-650, can I side-load books from kobobooks.com without tweaking the them in Calibre? Or do all epub books from another store require tweaking before loading onto a Sony?
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
No, you do not need to tweak them. I buy EPUBs from Kobo and many other sources. I import them into Sony Reader Library and transfer them to my ereader just the same as an EPUB purchased from the Sony Reader Store. You just have to authorize your Sony ereader to your Adobe Digital Editions account.

There is a list of ereaders that work with the Kobo store at the link below. Just keep in mind it hasn't been updated for the latest generation of Sony ereaders. The 350 / 650 / 950 will all work fine.
http://www.kobobooks.com/ade
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
icewyche
Dark Queen of Bibliomanes
icewyche has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-650
I've been able to load Kobo books with no problem. It's Barnes & Noble that's virtually impossible.
icewyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Yes, you can load them directly with no tweaking and they will load just fine. However, they tend to have wider margins. Some are worse than others. You can go into Options and change the "margin cut" and it will be a little better.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I was more concerned that Kobo transacts in U. S. dollars, or only Canadian with a credit card foreign transaction surcharge?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I was more concerned that Kobo transacts in U. S. dollars, or only Canadian with a credit card foreign transaction surcharge?
The prices are shown in USD when you are browsing and purchase. The currency fee shows up as a separate line item charge (at least for me) on your bill. The fee is not significant, and I usually purchase from Kobo with a coupon which more than makes up for it. As an example, the last book I purchased from Kobo was $4.10 with a $0.12 fee.

In the US, Borders is another bookstore option since they are powered by Kobo. However, their website interface really annoys me. I wish they'd make their website easy to navigate like kobobooks.com.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 11-07-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I presume there are no surcharges for buyers living in Canada?
Old 11-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
No, it's a foreign transaction fee credit cards companies usually charge, even if your transaction is in your own currency. For Canadian consumers, Kobo purchases are considered "domestic" transactions.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by icewyche View Post
I've been able to load Kobo books with no problem. It's Barnes & Noble that's virtually impossible.
Beautilful thing, special DRM for B&N!
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
stodge
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
No, it's a foreign transaction fee credit cards companies usually charge, even if your transaction is in your own currency. For Canadian consumers, Kobo purchases are considered "domestic" transactions.

Ok thanks.