Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 02-06-2003, 03:07 AM   #1
aarecordati
aarecordati began at the beginning.

I know I'm probably being thick... but I promise I tried to figure it by reading more or less all the posts on this site but with no success..... They just got me more confused... sorry.

Could someone be so nice to explain how achieve the following objective:

Keep my Web Channels on the MS updated regularly.....

I've managed to get to the following point:

Choose the Channels I wanted to convert (and converted them) with IsiloX from the amazing (really but really) list provided by Alexander. To do this I used the 1st method explained on Turcic.com (i.e. after having converted them I copied them to MS with MS Import).

However.... what I would like to do is have this process automated. I read that a lot people refered to IsiloXc to do this. Do i really need this, or can I achieve my purpose with only IsiloX? Also I noticed that I don't have an Isilo conduit in my Hotsync Custom Menu and therefore don't understand how these channels would update themselves on the clie (MS)... (obviously before I have to understand how to get IsiloX to update the files on the desktop regularly....)

Basically... someone be so kind to explain this process from start to finish... I know I'm probably being a pain... but i really did try to figure it out without success....

In any case... Alexander... your Web Channel collection made me fall even more in love with my Cliè (that's sounds sad!).... kidding aside.. really amazing work.... thanks
Andrea
Old 02-06-2003, 08:28 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally posted by aarecordati@Feb 6 2003, 09:07 AM
I know I'm probably being thick... but I promise I tried to figure it by reading more or less all the posts on this site but with no success..... They just got me more confused... sorry.

Could someone be so nice to explain how achieve the following objective:

Keep my Web Channels on the MS updated regularly.....

I've managed to get to the following point:

Choose the Channels I wanted to convert (and converted them) with IsiloX from the amazing (really but really) list provided by Alexander. To do this I used the 1st method explained on Turcic.com (i.e. after having converted them I copied them to MS with MS Import).

However.... what I would like to do is have this process automated. I read that a lot people refered to IsiloXc to do this. Do i really need this, or can I achieve my purpose with only IsiloX? Also I noticed that I don't have an Isilo conduit in my Hotsync Custom Menu and therefore don't understand how these channels would update themselves on the clie (MS)... (obviously before I have to understand how to get IsiloX to update the files on the desktop regularly....)

Basically... someone be so kind to explain this process from start to finish... I know I'm probably being a pain... but i really did try to figure it out without success....

In any case... Alexander... your Web Channel collection made me fall even more in love with my Cliè (that's sounds sad!).... kidding aside.. really amazing work.... thanks
Andrea
The problem is that iSiloX doesn't include a scheduler (yet). So you must use an external scheduler, like the one that is included with MS Windows. In order to run the scheduler in conjunction with iSilo, you must use the console version of iSilo = iSiloXC.

You don't need to see the iSilo conduit in the Hotsync Custom Menu. What iSilo does, on your request, is copy the channels automatically to the right directories (for example C:\Program Files\Sony Handheld\<yourhotsyncname>\CardInst and C:\Program Files\Sony Handheld\<yourhotsyncname>\Install). When the standard Palm hotsync sees that these directories are not empty, it will automatically install the files in it to your Palm.

I am not autoscheduling iSiloX myself, but some people here do and I am sure someone else will give you a more practical instruction.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:27 PM   #3
sydres
sydres began at the beginning.

Yes, if someone could make a "automate isilox for dummies" I would greatly appreciate it. I have printed out the documentation from the website and a thread I found on this forum, but am still confused on the set up from start to finish. Does it mater that I am on ME?

If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2003, 03:18 PM   #4
aarecordati
aarecordati began at the beginning.

Alexander.... thanks for the help...
I manged to figure out the 3 option to get the channels on the isilo (VFS Hotsync) and like this option (personally) better than MS Import.
Tomorrow, i'll try and figure out isiloXc automation process... I'm starting to get there.... slowly....
Again... amazing channels... thank you....
Old 02-06-2003, 09:30 PM   #5
captainao
Enthusiast
captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.captainao could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Axim x51v;T|X;NX73;SEK750
OK, here's a quick overview of what I did - hope this helps (note this is Windows-centric):
I have several "channels" that I only want to sync once a day, and one channel (CNN) that I want to sync every 3 hours. Using Isilo, I created 2 different .ixl files, one for all news (including CNN) and one that was just CNN. You'll have to analyze your own use, but I think my approach will apply to most situations.
I downloaded IsiloXC and installed (you really just unzip) into my \Isilo\IsiloX directory (which is also where I keep my .ixl files including the wonder wcc110.
The Isilo documentation is pretty simple if you're used to using DOS
Usage: iSiloXC [options]
Options: -h | -? Display this usage help information
-x filename Convert document list with filename
-o filename Option settings filename
-a path Base application file path
-q Quiet
-v[v] Verbose, use -vv for very verbose
-u Update list status after conversion
-H Hide window

So during startup I run "c:\program files\isilo\isilox\isiloxc.exe -x news.ixl -u - h" (just create a shortcut with this info and add it to your startup group). I use XP's scheduler (which you can reach in the control panel) to run a similar command using cnn.ixl instead of news.ixl every 3 hours.

Hope this helps, I can get into more detail if necessary later