Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
what do you think is the best buget tablet?

Hi
I am starting to think that my nook HD+ is about to die on me. It freezes a lot and yesterday it displayed a bunch of black dots all over the screen while I was browsing the web. I have also had instances where i would press buttons and nothing openned..a long pause and finally the program would respond. I notice that the processor runs hot a lot of the time. I have tried stock and other ROMs but still have the same issues no matter what.

I would like to replace the tablet with something better but I am also on a budget. I imagine that the nexus 7 will get the most votes. I was tempted to bust the bank and get the iPad mini retina but..I would prefer a little less damage to my pocket book.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I would say the Nook HD or the Hisense Sero PRO. Those are both 7" size, great for reading.

The 2013 Nexus 7 is not a budget tablet. The 2012 Nexus 7 can be found for a good price. But I think the screen on the Nook HD is better than the 2012 Nexus.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:39 PM   #3
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Take a look at the Asus MeMo FHD 10. They are selling around $250 and are a pretty good bang for your buck.

My wife has one and likes it a lot. She uses it to read, browse, email and watch video. It has pretty good battery life and the screen at 1920x1200 is decent.

They also make a 7 and 8" model at $150 and $180.

Regards-John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #4
nathan.grewal
Dickens Fanatic
nathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo touch, iPod touch 4th gen, kobo arc, kobo arc 10 HD, nexus 5
I do strongly recommend a nexus. Cheap and great. And the manufacturer isn't going out of business.
nathan.grewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:45 PM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I have a samsung tab 2. It's fine and built like a tank. Only catch is the non-standard UI and USB connector. Neither are show stoppers if you get it at the right price. The tab 3 has a standard USB plug.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I also recommend the nexus. I love my nexus and so does my wife love hers.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #7
bobstro
Zealot
bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014,Hisense Sero Pro 7,Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini
What is your budget range? The good news is that there are a lot of 7 inch tablet options for under $200 these days, but if you can spend a bit more, definitely go with a faster device with more storage. Be sure to look at the screens if you can. Some of the cheaper tablet screens aren't too impressive.

I've owned several Samsung tablets, and suggest looking at the Galaxy Tab 3 7 inch. The Samsungs provide a microSD slot, which can be useful if you like to carry a lot of music, video or other content around.

The budget tabs like the Hisense Sero Pro 7 can be decent, but suffer relatively poor battery life. I use a Sero as a traveling media center, but it's always plugged in. It's very snappy, and the screen was a pleasant surprise for the price a year ago. At the time, the competition was closer to $300. Now the range is more like $200-250.

If you can afford one, and lack of removable storage isn't a concern, the Nexus tablets are very nice.
bobstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:09 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan.grewal View Post
I do strongly recommend a nexus. Cheap and great. And the manufacturer isn't going out of business.
Only "cheap" compared to an iPad. Definitely a "premium" tablet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Only "cheap" compared to an iPad. Definitely a "premium" tablet.
When it was released in 2012, the Nexus 7 was cheap. Right now, I'd say pricing is mid-range while the tablet itself is premium quality (at least as far as specs). Imho, it's very good value for the money particularly when it frequently goes on sale for $200 or less.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:36 AM   #10
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Just remember you get what you pay for.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #11
jandrew
Zealot
jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
The 'Asus memo pad hd 7' is a good budget tablet (from the same manufacturer as the nexus 7). Usually listed around $150, but can be found for less. It has a good battery life, a nice 1280x800 IPS screen, gps, bluetooth, dual cameras (1.3mp front, 5mp rear), and a micro sd card slot.

Last edited by jandrew; 03-25-2014 at 01:12 PM.
jandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:54 PM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's an ebay seller selling the 2nd gen Nexus 7 for $149. I am not endorsing the seller, I know nothing about them. Just passing alone the price.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:10 PM   #13
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
What don't you like about the HD+ or what new features are you looking for? I really like my NOOK HD running CyanogenMod and running different ROMs doesn't seem to be a hurdle for you. If my HD broke today, I'd replace it with a new one.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:33 PM   #14
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia;2794967 I [I
really[/I] like my NOOK HD running CyanogenMod and running different ROMs doesn't seem to be a hurdle for you.
Do you have any problems with yours shutting off randomly? We got one from a seller, and it was already running CyanogenMod on the internal. It is really nice! But it does randomly reboot now & then. Come to think of it, so does the Nook HD+ once in a while, and it's running Nook OS with root access. Maybe it's a common issue for some tablets.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:11 PM   #15
timmib
timmib began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I've been running a Nook HD for 8 months now with no problems. I use it exclusively as a reader with the Kindle app handling most of my reading. I've found it to be reliable and the readability factor is excellent. I thought it was cheap enough that I bought one for my daughter who uses it exclusively for games; again, no problems. In fact I was so impressed that I bought a third one on sale ($89) to use for hacking android 4.2!!

I don't know what mods you've done, apps installed, etc. A thought for your HD+, turn off all un-needed apps, fully charge it, turn it off for several minutes then turn it on with the wifi on and leave it alone for several hours. I've found that this sort of approach tends to allow the android o/s do its housekeeping completely. fwiw

Be well,

Kim
timmib is offline   Reply With Quote