Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-19-2012, 12:41 AM   #1
ishiro
ishiro began at the beginning.

Device: none
Something similar to Planet of the apes?

hi, i'm enjoyed Planet of the apes by Pierre Boule and i would like to read something similar, that has experiments on humans, encounter with the third type, discovering new civilisations, technology.

Any suggestions?
ishiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
You might want to look around for F.M. Busby's DEMU TRILOGY or Marion Zimmer Bradley's HUNTERS OF THE RED MOON. Both feature humans abducted into alien societies who discover humans don't make easy prey.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
"Planet of the Apes" is one of my favorite novels. Although I have a hard time coming up with something that would be an exact representation of the ideas behind the novel, I can think of at least one other series that is fairly similar that I also enjoyed reading: The Gaea Trilogy by John Varley.

It consists of three novels, Titan, Wizard, and Demon. These take place primarily on a large space habitat orbiting Saturn. Basically, you have a crew of astronauts being abducted in to the station and finding a world controlled by a powerful intelligence and inhabited by various creatures similar to our mythological monsters.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Boulle also wrote The Bridge over the River Kwai.
It's nothing like Planet of the Apes.
I mention it only because I've always though the 2 books together make up one of the weirdest bibliographies I've ever struck.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
ishiro
ishiro began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
You might want to look around for F.M. Busby's DEMU TRILOGY or Marion Zimmer Bradley's HUNTERS OF THE RED MOON. Both feature humans abducted into alien societies who discover humans don't make easy prey.
Seems like a good start, thanks !
ishiro is offline   Reply With Quote