Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-14-2018, 03:43 PM   #1
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
One more SD card question

So I've installed google play on my older generation fire table and also installed a sd card. When dowloading apps from google play I started getting prompts that I had insufficient space and had to delete some apps. Thought this was odd since there was plenty of space on memory card and settings were set to download to memory card. So I tried to download an app from amazon and got no prompts concerning insufficient space. Apparently amazon apps are set to download directly to memory card while google play is set to download to internal memory. Is there a way to get google play to dowload apps directly to sd card?
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:30 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Google Play is Not suppose to work on Fires. So moving them to the SDCard Automaticly rarely works. I Suggest You More the Amazon apps to the Sdcard where they will work & Free up space on the main HD
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:36 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
i have both fire and pure android tablets. google apps always install to internal storage, even on my samsung. if there is an override I have yet to find it
I can move most installed apps to Sd card one at a time, via settings, but every time an app updates it returns to intenal. Annoying because i constantly have to space manage the 16Gb internal on my samsubg - keep moving news apps, deleting crhome cahce....

amazon is different - there is a global install to setting in fire OS 5.6 but it only applies to apps from the amazon store and it is glitchy, according to many amazon forum discussions
Many amazon apps are years out of date or broken. Ebay , notoriously, also flipboard, CNN, BBC news, weather, sport... and probably lots of others that I don't myself use.

Last edited by stumped; 01-18-2018 at 07:45 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:05 AM   #4
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Ok, so I broke down and got the new kindle fire 10 on Cyber Monday which has shipped but hasn't arrived yet which is another story. On my old kindle fire 7 I downloaded some movies,audiobooks,etc on the SD card and I'm wondering if I can simply switch that card to my new fire tablet; without having to erase and format the sd card and redownload everything again. Another question along these lines is that with my many multiple amazon devices I have had issues of reaching "download limits." Will simply deleting the content from my old devices "free up" the ability to download the content to other devices? I would hate to have to repurchase an ebook I already own simply because it's been downloaded to multiple devices and it couldn't be downloaded to the latest device.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:16 AM   #5
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
You should be able to use your existing SD card in your new Kindle without any problems.

For "download limits", I don't know what the exact error message is that you saw. But it was probably a maximum number of devices that Amazon will let you download your books to. I'm not aware of any limit to how many times you can re-download one of your books, just the number of devices.

So when you get your new device, go to your Amazon account and deregister your old device which will free up a spot for your new one.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:33 AM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
I'm wondering if I can simply switch that card to my new fire tablet; without having to erase and format the sd card and redownload everything again.
You will probably have to re-download most of your books. Most books sold by Amazon have DRM and Amazon's DRM locks books so that they can only be read on the device to which they were originally downloaded. They are tied to the device, not your Amazon account.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #7
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
^ Good point.

The card can certainly be used in another device. But the books that you might have on the card will usually have DRM and will be tied to the device serial number as jhowell explained. This is how they can control how many devices you download to.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:37 PM   #8
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Movie downloads from Amazon, netflix will also be locked to a device, so will need downloading again.
Also Amazon is not generous with how long you can keep their downloaded video offline to watch later. Netflix is better but eventually they time out also and have to be refreshed.

Both have download limits, on how many times and /or to how many devices you can download for later. It's only worth doing IMO if you have a long offline journey coming up or you expect internet outages.

Dunno about audible audiobooks. Pretty sure they have fierce DRM.

As for books and download limits, this is why many folks here, me included, remove the DRM from bought books, so they can be read on any owned device and in any format, hassle free, forever. Although detailed instructions are not allowed here it is a simple routine to get into and only takes a couple of minutes per book to get a de drmed copy safely stashed in a calibre library, with your original purchase still in Amazon cloud as a fallback.
I don't think you can auto reclaim a download count if a book has only a finite number allowed, as you can't easily prove that you have deleted or lost one, but you may be able to persuade Amazon CS to allow just one more, if stuck

Last edited by stumped; 12-05-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:30 PM   #9
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Movie downloads from Amazon, netflix will also be locked to a device, so will need downloading again.
Also Amazon is not generous with how long you can keep their downloaded video offline to watch later. Netflix is better but eventually they time out also and have to be refreshed.

Both have download limits, on how many times and /or to how many devices you can download for later. It's only worth doing IMO if you have a long offline journey coming up or you expect internet outages.

Dunno about audible audiobooks. Pretty sure they have fierce DRM.

As for books and download limits, this is why many folks here, me included, remove the DRM from bought books, ---snip--

I don't think you can auto reclaim a download count if a book has only a finite number allowed, as you can't easily prove that you have deleted or lost one, but you may be able to persuade Amazon CS to allow just one more, if stuck
I understand the usual problem is with devices that have ceased to woek and multiple reinstalls of Kindle reading apps on phones etc. Deleting their entries in mcd Manage your content and devices may be sufficient.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:03 AM   #10
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
You will probably have to re-download most of your books. Most books sold by Amazon have DRM and Amazon's DRM locks books so that they can only be read on the device to which they were originally downloaded. They are tied to the device, not your Amazon account.
For clarity, "they" has two meanings here.
  • "they" = the copy of the books on a device: the DRM in these, if any, is tied to a particular device. If they have DRM, and most will, they can't be moved to another device and read there.
  • "they" = the book you bought from Amazon: these are tied to your account and can be downloaded again without repurchasing to any device associated with the same account. Books purchased on one account can't be downloaded to a new device unless the new device is associated with the same account.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:56 AM   #11
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
For clarity, "they" has two meanings here. ...
In hindsight I see that my post could be misinterpreted to mean that books are locked to only the first device on which they are downloaded when I meant that each download is individually locked to its device.

Thanks for providing a better explanation.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #12
stumped
Wizard

I understand Amazon DRM pretty well but I never studied how download limits work.
There has to be some counting mechanism operating in the background.
Let's say I buy a book with a download limit of 6. And I repeat this sequence: download, delete, loop. ( On the same device) . Will the 7th repeat trigger the limit or does 6 mean 6 different devices ?

Or, assume I own 7 devices and have downloaded to 6. Is there any way to "claw one back " without deregistering a device, in order to download to the 7th one?

I do find that Amazon don't document this stuff very well and their own support staff don't understand the rules. E.g. I queried how the 10 registered devices limit for Amazon music works with the 6 people family plan. Amazon support Guy I spoke to insisted it was 10 devices total i.e. less than 2 each for 6 people. I insisted he go get a 2nd opinion as it should be 10 per person, 60 total. He did and I was right in that instance. And also fire TV devices dont count towards the 10 limit , which was good to know as we have several!

So, back to books. Anyone have a definitive explanation of download limits?
Old 12-07-2019, 11:32 AM   #13
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I understand Amazon DRM pretty well but I never studied how download limits work.
There has to be some counting mechanism operating in the background.
Let's say I buy a book with a download limit of 6. And I repeat this sequence: download, delete, loop. ( On the same device) . Will the 7th repeat trigger the limit or does 6 mean 6 different devices ?

Or, assume I own 7 devices and have downloaded to 6. Is there any way to "claw one back " without deregistering a device, in order to download to the 7th one?
It is the maximum number of simultaneous devices. You can remove it from a device and sync to get back a slot for a different device.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:37 AM   #14
stumped
Wizard

So how would you free up a device. Amazon would have to be scanning devices such as kindles whenever they were on line, to count current downloads?

That seems very snoopy and I did not think they did that. Plus it's a significant overhead to force scan a low lowered kindle which could have over a thousand books on it, every time that WiFi was re enabled ?

Ah, rereading your reply, you force a sync to force a scan and thus prove that a book is not there. That seems more reasonable
Old 12-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #15
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

The kindle keeps track of the books on it. It knows if you download or delete a book via the user interface. It only has to scan for changes after you attach it to a PC. (I believe that the Kindle app on Fire tablets scans its directories for new/deleted content when it is launched.)

When you sync it sends the info to Amazon. It does it between manual syncs too.

Last edited by jhowell; 12-07-2019 at 10:23 PM.