Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 06-03-2019, 05:09 AM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
LCP Certification?

I hadn't turned on the WiFi on my Tolino Vision 2 for awhile, but a library book I had put on hold several months ago became available and I wanted to use the Vision's lighted screen, so downloaded it via the Vision's browser.

I'm currently running firmware 11.2.3, but I got a notification that 12.2.0 is now available. All the features look good with 12.2.0, but I'm hesitant for one reason (from Tolino's announcement) ...

Quote:
In addition, the use of the public online libraries will be even easier in the future: With the new software version, the tolino eReaders are now LCP-certified, thus tapping into a new open standard for encryption. In this way the lending of eBooks is possible without the additional Adobe DRM.
If this means LCP in addition to Adobe DRM, that sounds great. But, before downloading and installing this firmware, I want to make sure I won't lose access to Adobe DRM that's required at my library.

Can anyone confirm that Adobe DRM decryption remains on the Tolino after this upgrade? I use Linux so I don't have the option (without using Wine) to use ADE on my computer (and I like the convenience of downloading directly to the Tolino).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
taos
Connoisseur
taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo HD
It actually means "in addition". I've updated a device for a friend (I think it's a Vision 4) and it can still download books with Adobe DRM. The German "Onleihe" (online library system) now offers most German books with either LCP (similar to the French "tea drm") or Adobe DRM, however, all English books are only available with Adobe DRM (probably for licensing reasons). I was able to successfully download both an English (Adobe DRM) and a German (LCP) book with the Tolino from the library afterwards, both could be opened on the device.
Unfortunately, there are some reports that people could not download books from their libraries after the upgrade (or that the downloaded files seemed corrupted) - but this might be a result of the migration of the Onleihe servers and not actually a problem with the devices.
taos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2019, 11:15 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taos View Post
It actually means "in addition". I've updated a device for a friend (I think it's a Vision 4) and it can still download books with Adobe DRM. ...
Thank you. That's what I was hoping to hear. I guess I can find 11.2.3 on Archive.Org and "downgrade" if something went wrong. I'll go ahead and upgrade and make a trial run on a library book. Thanks.

(I'm also hoping that this upgrade will allow me install some fonts that have given me trouble in the past.)

EDIT: Went ahead with the update and borrowed a book to download directly to the Tolino. Worked fine. It allowed me to install fonts it wouldn't allow before, but it still isn't able to keep the family together on that one particular font (Deja Vu E-Ink).

Thanks. Response seems a bit faster, but that may just be my imagination.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-04-2019 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:22 PM   #4
Mr.Moe
Mr.Moe began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STG
There might be an easy fix for your fonts that are doing that. If you don't mind a bit of tedium. It requires installing a tool called ttx, which is in a Python package called fonttools.

Once ttx is running "just" :
1) ttx yourfont.ttf
2) edit yourfont.ttx
- replace the "DejaVu [weight]" with just "DejaVu"
- correct any [weight] discrepencies (e.g. "Bold Italic" being defined as "Regular")
3) ttx yourfont.ttx

Works for OTF fonts just the same. Be patient, use the search function, you'll probably need to correct the names in about 20 places per font.

If the above doesn't make sense, Google should turn up more in-depth tutorials.
Mr.Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:49 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Moe View Post
Once ttx is running "just" :
1) ttx yourfont.ttf
2) edit yourfont.ttx
- replace the "DejaVu [weight]" with just "DejaVu"
- correct any [weight] discrepencies (e.g. "Bold Italic" being defined as "Regular")
3) ttx yourfont.ttx
It worked! Thank you. One of my favorite fonts now working in the Tolino. After the first run through, the Regular font still separated itself from the others, but I noticed it now called itself "DejaVu Serif Book" and I had noticed the "Book" name showing up three or four times in the ttx file. When I went back in and replaced "Book" with "Regular" all was good to go. I'm thinking that's probably all I had to do.

Again, thank you. fonttools was in my Linux Mint repository, so no problem installing it.
Advert
Old 06-16-2019, 08:06 PM   #6
Mr.Moe

Awesome, glad it worked!

A couple of gotchas that I've run across:

- Book -> Regular
- BoldItalic -> Bold Italic
- BoldRegular -> Bold
Old 06-18-2019, 02:49 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Moe View Post
Awesome, glad it worked!

A couple of gotchas that I've run across:

- Book -> Regular
- BoldItalic -> Bold Italic
- BoldRegular -> Bold
Okay. So "Book" instead of "Regular" is a common issue? I've had a few other fonts that did the same thing. I'll have to dig those up and see if I can find similar issues (though DejaVu Serif was the main one I wanted to get working).

Again, thanks. I really like having DejaVu Serif — and the Tolino renders it really well.

It seems like, way back when in my Windows' days (15-20 years ago), I used something similar to ttx, but I can't remember what it was.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:28 PM   #8
Mr.Moe

Yes, "Book" is a common distinction for typeface weights made specifically for long form reading (most of the classic typefaces have this weight). However the eReading apps I've played with only bundle [up to] four specific weights together. They tend to prefer the following naming conventions:

FILE NAMES:
GreatFont-Regular.otf
GreatFont-Italic.otf
GreatFont-Bold.otf
GreatFont-BoldItalic.otf

INTERNAL WEIGHT NAMES:
Regular
Italic
Bold
Bold Italic
(the space is important)

INTERNAL TYPEFACE NAME:
Great Font
(note the lack of a weight here, like "Great Font Bold" which will cause bundling to fail)