Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #16
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
A little over 1700 on mine right now. Use to have more (over 2000) but I deleted some. Each one is a chapter of manga ranging from 8 to 200 pages in pdf format.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #17
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
I had a similar issue. I deleted the all of the books off my Kindle to reload them in bulk from Calibre after cleaning up the metadata. After doing this, I noticed that the available memory was not what it should be considering there was nothing on the reader. Restarting the Kindle didn't affect it. After a support call to Amazon, I was advised to "Reset to Factory Defaults". (From the Home page, Menu, Settings, Menu, Reset.) Since I had nothing on the reader, I wasn't going to lose anything anyway, so I tried that. It did the trick - I had all of the memory back. It appears that the Kindle doesn't really delete things when you delete them, even if you don't have any access to them!
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #18
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
hmmmm.... so I would imagine that if you have books that you WANT to keep on it, the reset wipes them? I've wondered about my own storage capacity quite a few times as I've gotten messages that I couldn't get some of my downloads and had to delete some books first.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #19
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyfitz View Post
I had a similar issue. I deleted the all of the books off my Kindle to reload them in bulk from Calibre after cleaning up the metadata. After doing this, I noticed that the available memory was not what it should be considering there was nothing on the reader. Restarting the Kindle didn't affect it. After a support call to Amazon, I was advised to "Reset to Factory Defaults". (From the Home page, Menu, Settings, Menu, Reset.) Since I had nothing on the reader, I wasn't going to lose anything anyway, so I tried that. It did the trick - I had all of the memory back. It appears that the Kindle doesn't really delete things when you delete them, even if you don't have any access to them!
I wonder if this missing space is being occupied by search indexes that never get deleted in your System Folder?

I currently have 41megs of data in my "/system/Search Indexes" folder in a lot more files than I have books.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #20
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyfitz View Post
This is very helpful, and I will try it, once I winnow the list down a bit. I'm getting the "can't add notes" error message, whenever I open a book.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #21
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Kathyfitz - I did a manual upgrade, then a factory reset. I reloaded 240 books, and it shows barely any memory used. If anyone else is having problems with a sluggish K2, I highly recommend this method!
Old 03-17-2010, 01:55 AM   #22
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
so you do need to remove all of the books?
Old 03-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #23
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
so you do need to remove all of the books?
It was showing full with 300 books. I did a factory reset, which wipes all the books (but left the 2.3.3 upgrade) and reloaded 240. Now it shows less than 1/4 of memory used. Must have been something left in trash, or somehow when I deleted books, they weren't deleting. But all seems to be running fine after the upgrade and the factory reset. Except I don't know whether the improved performance is due to the upgrade or the factory reset. Whatever, ii is running great.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #24
neadams99
neadams99 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2, 3, KFire, Samsung Epic 4G
Weird. i only have 214 books and magazines on my K2 and only 746 MB of memory left?! Is that right? How much memory comes with the K2 originally? Does Amz plan on adding the sd card slot to the next gen Kindle? I think that's be sensible so I can listen to books or music loaded there and pop out the card and listen to it on my phone or elsewhere.
neadams99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #25
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

the card and the battery are two of the big unknowns
Old 03-18-2010, 10:04 PM   #26
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by neadams99 View Post
Weird. i only have 214 books and magazines on my K2 and only 746 MB of memory left?! Is that right? How much memory comes with the K2 originally?
The Kindle 2 comes with 1.4 GB of storage. The problem I was having that lead me to call Amazon was that I had nothing on my Kindle and it was saying I had about 760 MB available!

I haven't used annotations and bookmarks, too busy reading to do that, although I sometimes find myself trying to find something I had read earlier in a book. But as long as the Kindle has synced with the Amazon servers, all of those should be saved there and still be available for those books that have been purchased through Amazon. So if you are having a memory issue, it seems like this is a viable solution. Even though it seems somewhat ridiculous that we have to do it, at least there is something we can do.
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote