Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-23-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
RockDiesel
RockDiesel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
New York Post on Kindle2?

Hi all, new member here. Been browsing for a few days.

I've been waiting patiently, ever since I got my Kindle2 awhile ago, for the New York Post to show up in the newspaper section. I get the print version of it, but would love to have it on my Kindle. So I was reading the Post the other day and came across an ad that said the Post was now exclusive to Sony eReaders. Needless to say, I was rather disappointed. This brings me to my question.

Is there any way to subscribe to digital NY Post, but somehow convert it and get it to upload to my Kindle every morning?
RockDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 900
You could use Calibre and import a custom "recipe".
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32543

Not sure if the Post is available yet, but you can make a request for it.
I got my local paper added and read it every morning now on my Sony, but it could work on my Kindle, too.

You can pick which feeds you would want included in a custom recipe by going here:
http://www.nypost.com/Rss

Last edited by tulsa; 03-23-2010 at 11:27 AM. Reason: more info
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
you might try feedbooks.com. You can create your own 'subscription' for anything that has an RSS feed.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
you might try feedbooks.com. You can create your own 'subscription' for anything that has an RSS feed.
I have an account there. Got one a while back thinking I could use it for my local paper.
But since my local paper's website only publishes the title and intro to each article in its RSS feeds, the resulting ebook from feedbooks is no good to me, as it doesn't contain the entire article.

On the other hand, sites that publish full articles in their feeds, yes that would be the way to go!
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Here's a possible approach you could take:

1. Download and install Calibre (which is free) on your desktop PC or laptop.

2. Read the Help about how to set up a "custom news source". Create such a news source for the NY Post. Fix it so that the output is saved as a Mobi file.

3. Schedule a download of the news source for, say, 6 am every day (you do that within Calibre).

4. Each morning, just before you put the water on to boil for your coffee, boot up the PC or open up the laptop. The scheduled download will fire, and the paper will arrive while the coffee is perking (it should take about two or three minutes).

5. Connect your Kindle to the computer with the USB cable. Copy the Mobi file to the Kindle.

6. Read the paper while drinking the coffee, or while waiting for your bus.

The only difficult part of the process is step 2. I managed to do it for my own daily paper, but it took a lot of trial and error. But it was definitely worth the trouble. Reading the paper electronically is so much easier, cleaner and cheaper than the old way, plus it reduces clutter in the house and cuts down on the trips to the recyling bin.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Really, there is no subs. for NY post available? I was almost sure there was.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
RockDiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindorsey View Post
Really, there is no subs. for NY post available? I was almost sure there was.
I stated above that digital NY Post subscriptions are exclusive to Sony eReaders.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
RockDiesel

Thanks for all the replies on how I could access the content on my Kindle. I like the recipe idea.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #9
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
^agree. recipe idea is good!
carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote