Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-19-2024, 06:21 AM   #61
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
A simple yes or no would also have done the trick. But thanks, I guess.
Loads of people not even logged read this wonderful site.

Also advertisers/marketing (crayon dept.) deliberately, or due to being inept, confuse people with misleading names and descriptions.

In many countries the Advertising Standards organisations are funded by advertisers and they are not proactive. They wait for complaints (and people would rather go on a phone-in show). If the advert is found to breach "guidelines" there is rarely any penalty other than "Don't run this advert again". Actual illegal adverts are self-policed by bill-board companies, papers, magazines, radio, cinemas and TV, because they'd be prosecuted. Internet Social Media etc seem to think that neither local laws or Advertising Standards apply to them. Musk calls it "Free Speech".
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 06:33 AM   #62
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Actually, there are four sets of particles used in the ACeP/Gallery 3 setup. Cyan, magenta, yellow and white. Here's the link to the animated GIF from Eink's page:
https://www.eink.com/upload/2023_03_...bgu5x7k9x5.gif

I also attached a version but non-animated.
Yes, though as I wrote before it doesn't really explain it. White particles improve contrast, variations of shade and brightness, but technically are not absolutely needed for the scheme to work.

Similarly as paper is white, printing (lithopress, inkjet or laser) uses black as well as cyan, yellow and magenta, though it will "work" without black, but the blacks will be muddy and not as sharp. Higher quality printing uses more colours, because the C Y M scheme (and true on ACeP/Gallery 3) results in much dimmer red, green and blue additive primaries than the cyan, yellow and magenta secondary/complementary colours. The extra shades on inkjet printers are for resolution and better halftones, not improved colours in the sense that paper publishing of "art" books uses more colours.

Colour negative film only uses cyan, yellow and magenta layers, (white = clear film, black = cyan, yellow and magenta all at full density) but the printing process can adjust the colours using filters in the enlarger. Of course now colour negative film is scanned rather than being used with photographic paper.

Unless there is an unexpected technology breakthrough we won't see a viable ereader using ACeP/Gallery 3. Won't stop someone foolish trying.
Advert
Old 04-19-2024, 11:57 AM   #63
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
You can open the firmware downloads from pgaskin's site in 7-Zip. A couple of layers of 'open inside' and you'll eventually get to the files and the font files are buried in \usr\local\Trolltech\QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm\lib\fonts\

Some seem to be encrypted though and I do not know what'll happen if you try to sideload those
There is a way to use the encrypted fonts once you have extracted them. It is done via the kobopatch.yaml file when patching the reader. The instructions are somewhere in these forums, but I can't find them now.

For example, I wanted to use Gill Sans, which Kobo had eliminated on the Clara 2E. I put the encrypted fonts in a folder on my computer, in my case "D:\Kobo Encrypted Fonts". Then I added the instructions in the ADDITIONAL FILES section at the end of the kobopatch.yaml.

Code:
## ADDITIONAL FILES ##
# Uncomment the following to add additional files to the tgz (like init scripts or hyphen dicts)
# The files will be root-owned, and world readable, writable, and executable (0777)
files:
  D:\Kobo Encrypted Fonts/GillSans.ttf:  
  usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/GillSans.ttf
  D:\Kobo Encrypted Fonts/GillSans-Bold.ttf:  
  usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/GillSans-Bold.ttf
  D:\Kobo Encrypted Fonts/GillSans-BoldItalic.ttf:  
  usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/GillSans-BoldItalic.ttf
  D:\Kobo Encrypted Fonts/GillSans-Italic.ttf: 
  usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/GillSans-Italic.ttf
AFAIK, this needs to be done each time you patch. I hope I'm not forgetting something. It does work, because I can use Gill Sans on my Clara 2E.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 01:40 PM   #64
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
AFAIK, this needs to be done each time you patch. I hope I'm not forgetting something. It does work, because I can use Gill Sans on my Clara 2E.
Previously you've only needed to do it once per fw upgrade, not every time you patch. Of course that may be one and the same thing.

Whether you'll need to re-do it after every firmware upgrade in the future depends on what Kobo have included in the Trolltech subdirectory you referred to.
  1. If the 4 GillSans*.ttf files are entirely missing from that directory in a new firmware .zip then the files you've manually added via kobopatch should still be there after the upgrade.
  2. However, Kobo sometimes include in the firmware .zip, 4 empty zero-length files with the same name. These would overwrite the 4 working font files with empty files. In this case you'd need to re-transfer the 4 good GillSans*.ttf files with kobopatch after the upgrade.

Which is the more likely of the two is anyone's guess. If Kobo had font licenses which have expired then option 2 is probably more likely. However, if they just fancied a change of fonts then option 1 is possible. Also, I suppose we shouldn't rule out that the space available for all the built-in fonts may be finite.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:36 PM   #65
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
@jackie_w

Good to know. Thanks.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2024, 05:48 PM   #66
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thank you! I'll definitely be using this if it turns out Kobo decided to remove my font of choice from future firmware versions.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 07:24 AM   #67
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
How to fix incorrect font metadata:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...play_Correctly
Are there equivalent things one should do to fix otf fonts?
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 10:33 AM   #68
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Cathcart View Post
Are there equivalent things one should do to fix otf fonts?
Same things apply, yes.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 11:43 AM   #69
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Same things apply, yes.
Thank you! Is the (short) list of actions exhustive? it seems like it's specifically tailored for migrating/converting Kindle fonts to Kobo. What about fonts in general? anything else I should be mindful of?
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 12:46 PM   #70
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you! Is the (short) list of actions exhustive? it seems like it's specifically tailored for migrating/converting Kindle fonts to Kobo. What about fonts in general? anything else I should be mindful of?
It's not specific to Amazon fonts. The Wiki entry was created from one of my old posts (posts #2 and #9 if you want to see some screenshots), replying to someone who specifically wanted Amazon Ember to work on the Kobo. Ironically the original poster couldn't be bothered with my replies but another kind soul created the Wiki entry.
Old 04-20-2024, 01:01 PM   #71
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
That would be me. :-)

Your excellent work was well worth preserving.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 01:06 PM   #72
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
That would be me. :-)

Your excellent work was well worth preserving.
Thank you Yours too! I suspect your Wiki work has been read far more than the original thread ever was.
Old 04-20-2024, 02:11 PM   #73
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
As Jackie_w said, the instructions go for any font out there. I followed them for all my sideloaded fonts (none of which were Kindle fonts, btw) and they all worked perfectly.

Many thanks for those font instructions, Jackie_w and Patrik! They have been an enormous help.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 02:22 PM   #74
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Loads of people not even logged read this wonderful site.

Also advertisers/marketing (crayon dept.) deliberately, or due to being inept, confuse people with misleading names and descriptions.

In many countries the Advertising Standards organisations are funded by advertisers and they are not proactive. They wait for complaints (and people would rather go on a phone-in show). If the advert is found to breach "guidelines" there is rarely any penalty other than "Don't run this advert again". Actual illegal adverts are self-policed by bill-board companies, papers, magazines, radio, cinemas and TV, because they'd be prosecuted. Internet Social Media etc seem to think that neither local laws or Advertising Standards apply to them. Musk calls it "Free Speech".

Come to think of it, I think you may have not understood what I was talking about. That's OK. English is not my mother tongue, I make mistakes and don't always have the right vocabulary.

When I was talking about total dark mode, I meant for the book, the text, the interface, the menus, the dictionary, like it was possible with a patch before, and how Kindle does it. Not the colour "layer" (I don't know how to call it otherwise. And don't give me your course on how colours are made, I learned that in elementary shool. )
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 03:25 PM   #75
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
Come to think of it, I think you may have not understood what I was talking about. That's OK. English is not my mother tongue, I make mistakes and don't always have the right vocabulary.

When I was talking about total dark mode, I meant for the book, the text, the interface, the menus, the dictionary, like it was possible with a patch before, and how Kindle does it. Not the colour "layer" (I don't know how to call it otherwise. And don't give me your course on how colours are made, I learned that in elementary shool. )
Total dark mode simply inverts the shades, so if you have any colour content, rather than a purely mono page, the colours invert. An image will look more ghastly with inverted colour than a mono negative image.

In Elementary school they told us lies about colours, even in secondary school art. Secondary school physics was more accurate.

But as I wrote, the post was for the general public.

And the colourisation is just a thin printed pattern, a layer, of translucent dots aligned with the pixels.

Tags
firmware, firmware release