Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #31
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I told her the plot and everything after the first couple of times.

(Is it too late to sue. )
you were on first name terms with teacher >>>>
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:14 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hmmm. In my day, all female teachers were "Miss" and all male ones "Sir" .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2009, 10:19 AM   #33
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
I've often thought it interesting that 'stupid' things teachers did when I was a child still appear stupid to me as an adult - I used to think I would understand when I grew up.

When I was in infant school, I wanted to choose books from the junior school library; my teacher said I could once I'd finished the book I was currently reading. So I raced through it, but my teacher made me read it again and again - six times! before I was allowed in the other library. As a naive child and an honest book-reader, I did actually reread the book entirely each time - 'The Musical Umbrella' it was called.
That teacher's actions puzzle me to this day; and left me with an enduring impression that adults are crazy.
So, it did teach me one useful lesson.
Quote:
I told her the plot and everything after the first couple of times.

(Is it too late to sue. )
the librarian tried that with me a few times but when she realized that my retelling of the story was usually longer than the original book (i know : y'all are *stunned* ) she gave up and let me read whatever i wanted (and check out more books than i was technically allowed at a time. )
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #34
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hmmm. In my day, all female teachers were "Miss" and all male ones "Sir" .

In my 'early' school days all the teachers were male and we had to call them 'brother' (on account of them being monks) - Catholic school, don't ask
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #35
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I wonder what the statistics are on people lying to cover up books that they have read, but are embarrassed about reading.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #36
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
I wonder what the statistics are on people lying to cover up books that they have read, but are embarrassed about reading.
No stats, but an article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7926004.stm

(All through school we used to call teachers Mrs/Miss/Mr Whatever-their-lastname-was. At college we clled most of the tutors by their first name, except one who insisted being called Miss Something-or-other.)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #37
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
I did not have relations with The Da Vinci Code.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:30 PM   #38
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I did not have relations with The Da Vinci Code.

Cheers,
Marc
Define "relations" please.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:38 PM   #39
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Define "relations" please.
That depends on what your definition of "define" is. Sometimes a cigar is just a...eww, Bill, don't put that thing back in your mouth!

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #40
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
That depends on what your definition of "define" is. Sometimes a cigar is just a...eww, Bill, don't put that thing back in your mouth!

Cheers,
Marc
EEEWWWWWW.................
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #41
busy91
Connoisseur
busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Nook Color
?? Why would someone lie? To sound 'well read'. I haven't read War & Peace, but I'm not ashamed of it. I've tried to read Crime & Punishment but gave up. I wonder what the stats would be for Americans? Probably the same.
busy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #42
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
When I was in infant school, I wanted to choose books from the junior school library; my teacher said I could once I'd finished the book I was currently reading. So I raced through it, but my teacher made me read it again and again - six times! before I was allowed in the other library. As a naive child and an honest book-reader, I did actually reread the book entirely each time - 'The Musical Umbrella' it was called.
That teacher's actions puzzle me to this day; and left me with an enduring impression that adults are crazy.
So, it did teach me one useful lesson.
When I was five, my daddy took me to the public library to get my card and show me where all the good books were. I was already reading well above my age, so my daddy told the librarian that he didn't want her to push me toward the primary books. If I picked up one that was too hard for me, I'd figure it out on my own. It wasn't a month later that I was standing at the checkout desk on the verge of a veritable temper tantrum (I am a redhead, after all), tearfully insisting that my daddy had told me I could take home any book in the library and she wasn't supposed to stop me. The librarian picked up the phone and called my daddy to get *him* to explain to me that no one was allowed to take a volume of the encyclopedia out of the library.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #43
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
In my 'early' school days all the teachers were male and we had to call them 'brother' (on account of them being monks) - Catholic school, don't ask
I even had to call one of them "Mother" in primary school - Mom's a teacher, don't ask
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:47 AM   #44
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I only had a sister. I never had a problem with her, but I know a lot of people did (like my little brother )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
When I was five, my daddy took me to the public library to get my card and show me where all the good books were. I was already reading well above my age, so my daddy told the librarian that he didn't want her to push me toward the primary books. If I picked up one that was too hard for me, I'd figure it out on my own. It wasn't a month later that I was standing at the checkout desk on the verge of a veritable temper tantrum (I am a redhead, after all), tearfully insisting that my daddy had told me I could take home any book in the library and she wasn't supposed to stop me. The librarian picked up the phone and called my daddy to get *him* to explain to me that no one was allowed to take a volume of the encyclopedia out of the library.
We always were allowed at all the sections of the library. And I usually went every saturday as I was only allowed to bring home 3 books at a time...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #45
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
I even had to call one of them "Mother" in primary school - Mom's a teacher, don't ask

ditto !

- from age 3 to 5 !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote