Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-25-2008, 01:41 PM   #31
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
If you are on a Windows machine, download mobigen (the Mobipocket tool that actually does the conversion). Given an .opf file, mobigen produces a .prc file
so I'm guessing that
for %a (in *.opf) do mobigen %a
will work. But I'm completely incompetant in DOS, so don't trust me.
The problem is that opfs are each in their own directory. How can I make this work?
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #32
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Ok people need your help.
Don't you have the original ebook files before you started this whole process? Perhaps on your PC? Or, can you redownload them?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2008, 01:45 PM   #33
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The problem is that opfs are each in their own directory. How can I make this work?
There is probably a parameter for the for command that will tell it to recurse directories... perhaps for /r ? Do a for /? to see all the options.

BOb
Old 10-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #34
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
While we are batch commands, can someone tell me how to take the "folder name" from the name of the folder the cmd is run in?
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #35
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
There is probably a parameter for the for command that will tell it to recurse directories... perhaps for /r ? Do a for /? to see all the options.

BOb
I did that and don't understand a word

I have 80-something files from 20-something places all in one directory... easier to convert than hunt them all down.
Advert
Old 10-25-2008, 02:01 PM   #36
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
While we are batch commands, can someone tell me how to take the "folder name" from the name of the folder the cmd is run in?
I don't understand how to answer this. Are you doing a for command? What command do you need the folder name for? Can you show a sample of your batch and what you want it to do?

BOb
Old 10-25-2008, 02:03 PM   #37
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I did that and don't understand a word

I have 80-something files from 20-something places all in one directory... easier to convert than hunt them all down.
Yes, I just looked..

for /R %%a in (*.prc)

will loop through a list of all files found in the current folder and any sub folder. If you want the results to be in one place you can specify that single path on your outfile parameter.

BOb
Old 10-25-2008, 02:16 PM   #38
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Thanks! Well I ended up redoing the mobi2mobi type=2 title=filenameminusextension, and this time IT WORKED and I was able to just transfer the same files over. GRR. I have now completely restored my Kindle after two days of hard work.

I am now making a backup of my Kindle documents folder and I am re-starting my foray into folders.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #39
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK I now know at least one reason why azw files don't work--the Kindle takes the title from longtitle, and so doesn't put it in a folder.
Anyone know how to eliminate the longtitle entry?
Old 10-25-2008, 02:48 PM   #40
slm
Fool

Actually, I'm just trying to get the folder script at the start of this email chain to work whatever folder it is in, rather than typing a name for "folder name". I'd like to create a single file ("rename any folder.cmd"), create a folder "My folder", put mobi files and the "rename my folder.cmd" file into the folder, and fun the cmd file. That way if I change the name of the folder, I can just double click the cmd file to update each mobi file.

I know %CD% will give me the full path to the current folder, but I just want to get the name of the actual folder, not the path. Any ideas?
Old 10-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #41
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
OK I now know at least one reason why azw files don't work--the Kindle takes the title from longtitle, and so doesn't put it in a folder.
Maybe '--title ""'.

I do not think mobi2mobi can eliminate it totally. You can always check the code for MobiPerl or check the wiki here to see what you should set to 0 to eliminate the long title and test with a a hex editor to confirm that it works as you think.

It is possible to extend mobi2mobi so you can delete long title but it is not something I can do trivially since I have forgotten a lot about the details of the format...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:28 PM   #42
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Well I got the Kindle fully restored and backed up and halfway through the indexing. I did 1 folder and it works great. I am going to do it one folder at a time. I've already wasted enough time today so tomorrow it is When it works it is beautiful. It's a mix of DRM-free prc and mobi and they work beautiful.

for %a in (*.prc, *.mobi) do mobi2mobi.exe "%a" --title "Folder Title" --author "%~na" --booktype "257" --outfile "%a"

I can't remember the last time I used the Kindle to read. I'm having way too much fun (uh, yeah...) tinkering with it and adding books to it.

Edit: Second folder failed. Files don't show. Backup snug and comfy on pc.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 10-25-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:56 PM   #43
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
the Kindle takes the title from longtitle, and so doesn't put it in a folder.
I think it is UpdatedTitle that you need, see exth type, exth data.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:45 AM   #44
slm
Fool

Well I got a folder to form using both a DRM-restricted azw file and a normal unDRMed prc file.
I made the "updatedtitle" also equal the folder name (because the Amazon DRM books have an "updatedtitle and the book won't go in the folder if the updated title is different from the folder name.
The cmd file text (for some Stephenie Meyer books) was:

for %%a in (*.azw, *.prc, *.mobi) do mobi2mobi.exe "%%a" --booktype "257" --title "Stephenie Meyer" --exthtype updatedtitle --exthdata "Stephenie Meyer" --author "%%~na" --outfile "%%a"

This got me a folder with both books in it. However, the DRM one shows as a date (the publication date) inside the folder, instead of its name ("Breaking Dawn"). The other one ("Twilight") shows correctly.
Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-26-2008, 01:15 AM   #45
slm
Fool

I've finally got an "autoname" version of the folder stuff working
If you create folder in the Documents folder in either drive of the Kindle and add the to the folder a bunch of ebooks and the "auto rename.cmd" file described below, you can just double click the auto rename.cmd file to make all the ebooks appear in a Kindle "folder" with the same name as the folder you created.

The text in auto rename.cmd is:
for %%a in (*.azw, *.prc, *.mobi) do mobi2mobi.exe "%%a" --booktype "257" --title "%CD:~13%" --exthtype updatedtitle --exthdata "%CD:~13%" --author "%%~na" --outfile "%%a"

NOTE: you have to run this from a folder you created inside the Kindle's "Documents" folder. I hard-coded the size of the folder path that precedes the folder's name.