Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-16-2018, 09:39 AM   #1
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Reading books back to back?

I was wondering. When you finish a book do you starting another right away or do you take some time to relish, digest or simply rest for a period before starting another one?

As for me, I typically start another one the next day leaving me at least an evening or so to rest. Sometimes if I have finished reading a large trilogy back to back I might take a week or two.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:15 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Sometimes after I finish a book, I'll immediately start another book. Other times after finishing a book, I'll read some comics or something. I'm always reading something, because that's what I do on my breaks at work.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm always reading several books at a time, so when I finish one, I move on to another I'm in the middle of right away.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #4
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
I've started leaving a review on Goodreads and LibraryThing after I finish a book. I've found it's a good way to reflect back on what I've read and sometimes I go back and re-read a part to clarify my thoughts. Sometimes I can do it the same day, sometimes it takes longer. Once that's done I start a new book.

Last edited by wandalynn; 03-12-2018 at 10:57 PM.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #5
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
I usually go onto the next book, especially if it's the next instalment in a series. Also, I have multiple books on the go - longer books for reading at home, anthologies for reading on the commute (I dislike trying to concentrate on a longer work unless it's one I know well when I have multiple changes on the journey).
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2018, 12:45 PM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
As soon as I finish one I am picking the next one to read. If it is a series that I really enjoy, I will start with the next one. If not I pull up my Calibre library and start perusing.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:50 PM   #7
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
I always start a new book right away--sometimes it will be a completely different genre, if I feel like I need a "palate cleanse". For example, I just finished a series of SF/fantasy books, and am now reading an autobiography. In the middle of the series, I read a non-fiction book recommended by my brother's doctor that was supposed to help me understand his condition. (it didn't)

Like ZodWallop, I'm always reading something...but not always the same type of thing.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
It depends. Most of the time, I move on to the next book in my list. Sometimes I'll take a break for a while, especially if it's near bed time.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:27 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I tend to have multiple books open. My choice for work break reading is books that I don't mind reading in shorter chunks while at home I like books that I can read for an hour or two. I tend to read mostly science fiction/fantasy with a mix of other genres and non-fiction -- cooking, computers, sports biographies, newspapers unwrapped from around the garbage, etc. The issue for me is that the average book is a 2 hour or often less read so I go through a lot of books. When a new book in a series is due, I will often re-read the series before starting the new book unless it's one of the really massive series (David Weber's Honor Harrington universe books or Eric Flint's 1632 universe books as examples).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:56 PM   #10
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
It depends on when I finish a book. If it’s into the late evening I will wait until the next day before starting a new book. If I start reading a Trilogy, I will read the first two books back to back, then wait for a week or so before starting the final book.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #11
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
It depends. If I have books eager to read I keep going or even read 2 books at a time
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It depends. Most of the time, I move on to the next book in my list. Sometimes I'll take a break for a while, especially if it's near bed time.
I admire your ability to stick to a list. If I made a list of the books I wanted to read, by the time I finished the first book I would resent the list and wonder what I was thinking.

Usually, when I'm in the middle or near the end of a current book, a few different ideas for my next read will bubble up and I'll pick one of them based on how I'm feeling at the time.

That's why I don't mind having such a large TBR pile.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 02-16-2018 at 06:09 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:37 PM   #13
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I used to start a new book straight away, no matter what time of night. I just wanted to start a new book, even if just a couple of pages. Lately I find that when I finish a book in the evening, which is most of time, I wait until the next day to start the next book. When I've read a lot on a day or several days (usually during my Sunday and Monday weekend) I hardly read the day after. Except when I'm on vacation, then I can spend a week reading hours every day.

I can't read a series, even a trilogy, back to back. When I really like a series and the books aren't too I might read two back to back. But I burn out easily on a series or genre. When finishing a book I usually know what I want to read next.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It depends. Sometimes yes and sometimes no.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:01 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm always reading several books at a time, so when I finish one, I move on to another I'm in the middle of right away.
This just started for me recently. I don't read several books at a time, but usually I'm reading two or three of them at once – so I'm never actually done. Once I finish a book, I'll usually fill that slot with another fairly quickly.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote