Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-06-2017, 10:30 AM   #31
Skipjack65
Skipjack65 began at the beginning.

Device: iBooks-ipad3
I've just recently begun reading the series and would really like to continue reading them in order. Just finished Gently Continental and cannot seem to locate Gently Coloured anywhere. Can anyone help me locate either an ebook or paper copy of this? Might it be published as an ebook under a separate title?
Skipjack65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:34 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipjack65 View Post
I've just recently begun reading the series and would really like to continue reading them in order. Just finished Gently Continental and cannot seem to locate Gently Coloured anywhere. Can anyone help me locate either an ebook or paper copy of this? Might it be published as an ebook under a separate title?
Gently Coloured is also known as Gently Sinking. I was able to find Gently Sinking as an eBook at both Amazon and Kobo in the US.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2017, 11:04 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Fantastic Fiction page shows the order of the series. The first 30 books are currently available, and a number of titles have been changed. Eg:

The Honfleur Decision -> Gently Under Fire
Gabrielle's Way -> Gently Heartbroken
Fields of Heather -> Gently in the Past
Amorous Leander -> Gently with Passion

The aim seems to be to rename them all to the "Gently <something>" format.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-06-2017 at 11:08 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:09 PM   #34
mmurray
mmurray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmurray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmurray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmurray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmurray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmurray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmurray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmurray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmurray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmurray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmurray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (10th generation)
So there seem to be gaps in what's on Kindle starting after Gently to a Sleep:

Gently to a Sleep (1978) K
The Honfleur Decision (1980) [Gently Under Fire]
Gabrielle’s Way (1981) [Gently Heartbroken] K
Fields of Heather (1981) [Gently in the Past]
Gently Between Tides (1982) K
Amorous Leander (1983) [Gently with Passion]
The Unhung Man (1984)
“Once a Prostitute” (1984)
The Chelsea Ghost (1985)
Goodnight, Sweet Prince (1986)
Strangling Man (1987)
Traitor's End (1988)
Gently with the Millions (1989)
Gently Scandalous (1990)
Gently to a Kill (1991)
Gently Tragic (1992)
Gently in the Glens (1993)
Bomber’s Moon (1994)
Jackpot! (1995)
The Love of Gods (1997)
Over Here (1998)
Gently Mistaken (1999)

Have I missed something ?

EDIT: Where did you get those name changes HarryT ?
mmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:39 PM   #35
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Fantastic Fiction page shows the order of the series. The first 30 books are currently available, and a number of titles have been changed. Eg:

The Honfleur Decision -> Gently Under Fire
Gabrielle's Way -> Gently Heartbroken
Fields of Heather -> Gently in the Past
Amorous Leander -> Gently with Passion

The aim seems to be to rename them all to the "Gently <something>" format.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmurray View Post
So there seem to be gaps in what's on Kindle starting after Gently to a Sleep:

Gently to a Sleep (1978) K
The Honfleur Decision (1980) [Gently Under Fire]
Gabrielle’s Way (1981) [Gently Heartbroken] K
Gently Between Tides (1982) K
Amorous Leander (1983) [Gently with Passion]
The Unhung Man (1984)
“Once a Prostitute” (1984)
The Chelsea Ghost (1985)
Goodnight, Sweet Prince (1986)
Strangling Man (1987)
Traitor's End (1988)
Gently with the Millions (1989)
Gently Scandalous (1990)
Gently to a Kill (1991)
Gently Tragic (1992)
Gently in the Glens (1993)
Bomber’s Moon (1994)
Jackpot! (1995)
The Love of Gods (1997)
Over Here (1998)
Gently Mistaken (1999)

Have I missed something ?

EDIT: Where did you get those name changes HarryT ?
He got them from Fantastic Fiction.
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/h/alan-hunter/
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2017, 07:47 PM   #36
mmurray
mmurray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmurray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmurray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmurray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmurray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmurray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmurray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmurray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmurray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmurray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmurray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't see, for example

In fact that site thinks Fields of Heather is also called Death on the Heath ?
Old 06-06-2017, 08:17 PM   #37
mmurray

Ah so Gently in the Past and Gently with Passion appear on the US Amazon site but without any actual download. e.g.

https://www.amazon.com/Gently-Past-A.../dp/B01EFL9C8U

Gently with Passion appears on the UK Amazon site for download but I'm in Australia so it tells me I have to go to the US site.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:18 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
He got them from Fantastic Fiction.
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/h/alan-hunter/
Apache
I actually got them from the books themselves, which say "Originally published as..." on the page where all the legal stuff is.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:26 AM   #39
mmurray

Thanks Harry, So did you get them on kindle from the UK amazon site?

Michael
Old 06-07-2017, 01:33 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks Harry, So did you get them on kindle from the UK amazon site?

Michael
Yes, that's where I bought them all.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:27 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Ah so Gently in the Past and Gently with Passion appear on the US Amazon site but without any actual download. e.g.

https://www.amazon.com/Gently-Past-A.../dp/B01EFL9C8U

Gently with Passion appears on the UK Amazon site for download but I'm in Australia so it tells me I have to go to the US site.
I can buy this on the US Amazon site. I've been getting them from Overdrive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:46 AM   #42
mmurray

Thanks. I get

Quote:
This title is not currently available for purchase
in the box on the LHS of the page where I would usually see 1-click. Australia has protection laws with respect to publishing imports. Maybe that is the problem for some reason.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:54 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
in the box on the LHS of the page where I would usually see 1-click. Australia has protection laws with respect to publishing imports. Maybe that is the problem for some reason.
It may be the case that the publisher doesn't have the rights to sell the ebook to Australia. It's very common for books to have different publishers in different markets.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:00 AM   #44
mmurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It may be the case that the publisher doesn't have the rights to sell the ebook to Australia. It's very common for books to have different publishers in different markets.
Yes I expect that is it. In the past I've had books with a release date six months after the US one for that sort of reason. I'll just have to immigrate!
Old 06-07-2017, 06:02 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's very easy to make a "virtual journey" to buy a book in a different market. Kobo is perhaps the easiest.