Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #16
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I really find it stupid to change things for the US or UK readers when there's no need at all to change anything. It's the publisher saying that we are too clueless to understand what the original title means.
The title Midnight Riot makes little sense.
Well,there was a midnight riot at the end.

I enjoyed this book on so many levels.
  • The strong central character - it's tough enough being a black cop, and then they give you the macabre beat; the only time anyone is glad to see you is when they want to hand you a steaming pile of ...
  • The police procedural / magic aspect - Lord Darcy with IT
  • The river gods mingling with the above ground society

The main thing I didn't like was the riot at the end. I could go along with the magic and river gods bit, but no bureaucratic career would ever have survived that riot - just not believable at all .
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #17
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
For those who might be interested, there's a free interview with Ben Aaronovitch on Audible. He talks about how he got started doing this, mentions some (police procedural) things that he realizes now are wrong in the first book, but has no interest in going back and revising. And where he sees Peter going off to in future books.

Last edited by CRussel; 01-20-2017 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Added Audible Link
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2017, 02:52 PM   #18
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As for the book itself, I very much liked it. It's funny, in a British irreverent way, and I found the references back to modern London juxtaposed with the magical elements quite engaging. I VERY much liked that Peter is mixed-race, working class, and NOT a DI or DCI, but just a lowly plod. As for the Rivers themselves, I like where this is going, though I don't think they're fully fleshed out (bad pun) yet.

Probably my least favourite character in these books is Leslie. The author really doesn't do much with her, and I think that's a mistake. She stays two-dimensional and flat, when she could be so much more.

Title: US edition is stupid. At least the UK edition makes a little sense, though it isn't a great title either.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:36 PM   #19
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think it's more that the publishers thought that a title including the location, "London" would put off US readers.

Rather strange. For fantasy readers in the US, I suspect that "London" would be an attraction.
It's our lousy sense of geography. Most Americans have no idea what part of Brazil London is in.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
For those who might be interested, there's a free interview with Ben Aaronovitch on Audible. He talks about how he got started doing this, mentions some (police procedural) things that he realizes now are wrong in the first book, but has no interest in going back and revising. And where he sees Peter going off to in future books.
Thanks. Now in my Audible library.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2017, 07:42 AM   #21
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
One more vote here for the original title. Rivers of London made sense on more than one level. Midnight Riot would have been more appropriate for a Thorne Smith book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think it's more that the publishers thought that a title including the location, "London" would put off US readers.

Rather strange. For fantasy readers in the US, I suspect that "London" would be an attraction.
^This. The publishers completely underestimated their readership if they really think Londo is a "turn off". The god awful covers aren't helping their case either. I love the original, British series covers. These silhouetted, "action film" American ones are ugly with a capital "U".

Quote:
It's our lousy sense of geography. Most Americans have no idea what part of Brazil London is in.
^This makes me both laugh and cry because sadly it's true. Geography has completely gone by the wayside in American education.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
The god awful covers aren't helping their case either. I love the original, British series covers. These silhouetted, "action film" American ones are ugly with a capital "U".
I've read all of the In Death series J. D. Robb and the American covers are crap. I replace them with the UK covers. Why not wonderful, the UK covers are a lot better than the US covers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:08 PM   #23
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Everyone knows London is in Kentucky.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:37 PM   #24
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Everyone knows London is in Kentucky.
It's really in Ontario close to where I used to live

I quite enjoyed the book but I'm a bit worried that any woman in the series (who isn't a god) who becomes close to our protagonist will suffer some horrible date.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:00 PM   #25
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Are you saying Peter is a horrible date? Gee, he doesn't seem any worse than the usual...

<gr>
Old 01-24-2017, 11:25 PM   #26
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
It's really in Ontario close to where I used to live
I have friends in London, Ontario.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:54 AM   #27
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Are you saying Peter is a horrible date? Gee, he doesn't seem any worse than the usual...

<gr>
Fate! Fate! (I will blame a mix of autocorrect and my five year old needing attention)
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote