Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-03-2015, 03:22 PM   #121
Liriel
Connoisseur
Liriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: BOL Oyo, Kobo Glo 8GB
mmh with 3.18.0 on my glo work it not with the new offset data
Liriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:36 PM   #122
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's different for every device and language... you'll have to use the debug mode to get correct values for the Glo and whatever language you're using, unless someone else does it and shares their settings.

I will try to make the setup easier in the future but right now it's the way it is
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2015, 09:39 AM   #123
Liriel
Connoisseur
Liriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a Texan

mmh with 17.3 there was no need to edit the setting
Old 10-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #124
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yup, but the logread method no longer works in 3.18.0, Kobo removed the log messages...
Old 10-05-2015, 01:14 AM   #125
Bandi-T
Bandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheese

Device: K3gb, Kobo Aura HD
My Aura H2O 3.18.0 in English needed:

Code:
offset=150
standby=f400e0d8bdc587d96e9d14fcd584144c
As a thank you, attached are a few random sleep screen PNG images - the last one is, of what else, but nickel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Waterstone's_Reading_1_N15.png
Views:	485
Size:	441.0 KB
ID:	142601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air_New_Zealand_Pacific_Economy_777-300ER_cabin_N15.png
Views:	493
Size:	445.8 KB
ID:	142602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Columns_around_Jefferson_Memorial_in_Washington_DC_N15.png
Views:	499
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	142603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Daniel Koschnick.png
Views:	487
Size:	609.7 KB
ID:	142604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Keeny-creek-wv-autumn-waterfall-scenery_-_West_Virginia_-_ForestWander_N15.png
Views:	518
Size:	591.0 KB
ID:	142605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gordijnen_aan_venster_N15.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	142606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nickel_electrolytic_and_1cm3_cube_N15.png
Views:	454
Size:	519.5 KB
ID:	142607  

Last edited by Bandi-T; 10-05-2015 at 01:17 AM.
Bandi-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2015, 10:12 PM   #126
Bandi-T
Bandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheeseBandi-T can extract oil from cheese

Hmm, I am experiencing race conditions: sometimes the custom image gets displayed for a moment, but then gets overwritten again by the kobo sleep screen image.

I'm wondering, wouldn't it be better to strace the hell out of nickel to see the what it does when going to sleep, and then do an LD_PRELOAD hook into whatever it is actually doing? Like actually invoking the power state transition (be that done through open()ing and write()ing to a device file, or a syscall)?

Last edited by Bandi-T; 10-06-2015 at 01:33 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:22 AM   #127
frostschutz
Linux User

@Bandi-T: is that using scanline mode? and have you disabled Kobo's cover/progress options, it probably works best with the plain "standby" screen?

Possible problems with scanline mode are... using the wrong signature, or using the wrong delay values. If you're not on 3.18.0 firmware and still using logread mode, your best bet is the delay option as well, see if other values work better.

There is another screensaver mod that does the LD_PRELOAD. I'm trying to avoid this solution though, as it would raise the conflict potential with other mods [that modify rcS and use their own preloads already such as the night mode].

Basically in order to control the preload you also have to control the nickel startup but I don't [it could be started by rcS, it could be started by KSM, it could be with or without nightmode, etc. etc.].

I rather prefer my mod to be an external/independent entity, although the scanline solution is already breaking that rule a little by hooking into 'dd'...
Old 10-06-2015, 06:44 AM   #128
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandi-T View Post
and then do an LD_PRELOAD hook into whatever it is actually doing?
You might be interested in this approach. You can find the most recent version here.

Last edited by tshering; 10-06-2015 at 06:47 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #129
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
There's always /etc/ld.so.preload if you don't want to mess with init scripts (provided Kobo's ld.so isn't hobbled to prevent that).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:30 AM   #130
frostschutz
Linux User

But that's not limited to nickel... is it?

I'm not sure if I want to have custom libraries preloaded for everything.

Besides, there already is a screensaver mod that does just that, so I don't have to do it.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:45 PM   #131
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@frostschutz: True .

(FWIW, Amazon does it on the Kindle to enforce locales).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:07 PM   #132
Bandi-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
@Bandi-T: is that using scanline mode?
Yes to all: Aura H2O, 3.18.0, English, scanline mode, kobo sleep screen is plain "Sleeping" displayed on white background.

Quote:
wrong delay values.
I suspect this is my issue, yes. Must confess haven't looked at these options yet - I assumed it was only neeeded for the scanline detection, which does seem to work each time. I'll take a proper look at the docs.

Quote:
There is another screensaver mod that does the LD_PRELOAD.
Ahh, lovely, I must take a look; apologies, I haven't stumbled upon it yet, did not think there would be several, so once I found yours I stopped looking.

Quote:
Basically in order to control the preload you also have to control the nickel startup but I don't [it could be started by rcS, it could be started by KSM, it could be with or without nightmode, etc. etc.].
For the first issue, replacing nickel with a shell script should do the trick. Granted, chaining multiple mods would need a framework to be established.

Quote:
I rather prefer my mod to be an external/independent entity, although the scanline solution is already breaking that rule a little by hooking into 'dd'...
Yes, I can see your design goal now, thanks for highlighting and apologies for being unaware of my surroundings. And yes, hacking into dd is what led me down this slippery thinking slope of replacing nickel with a shell script doing preload.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:21 PM   #133
frostschutz
Linux User

The nickel binary is 5M, so if you replace it with a shell script and then make a firmware update (bye your shellscript), you've wasted 5M of the internal memory. Now, there is ~100M free internally which seems like a lot, but... and then you still have the issue that all mods have to cooperate on this somehow.

It might still come to that, depending on which ways Kobo decides to break this mod in the future.

Quote:
Yes to all: Aura H2O, 3.18.0, English, scanline mode, kobo sleep screen is plain "Sleeping" displayed on white background.
If the screensaver is displayed _before_ the Kobo ever displayed "Sleeping" then you have the wrong signature. With scanline mode there should be no race as it's supposed to react only after Kobo already displayed "Sleeping". [And as far as I'm aware Kobo does not display "Sleeping" twice]. If the screensaver is not displayed at all, then it could be either wrong signature or wrong delay.

I'm still hoping to find a way to improve the scanline method, right now it's impossible to tell what the signature stands for, so it's easy to pick the wrong one.

As for delay, smaller delays work better for scanline mode, so try delay=0.1 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.1
Old 10-07-2015, 12:40 PM   #134
Liriel
Connoisseur

ok i have found the setting for my Kobo Glo with 3.18.0 in German with scanline setting
Quote:
offset=150
standby=a9895b287a8a132de16bbd63e853d8f4
poweroff=0bfbd0ae1eb3aec960d7d9728914ee9d
it wont work with setting logread.

@frostschutz
da ist noch ein kleines problem.
ich versuchs dir auf deutsch zu erklären da du ja von hier bist.
wenn man aus dem schlaf modus raus geht ist oft kurz das menü zu sehen und dann kommt wieder das bild vom screensaver zum vorschein.
das geht dann nur weg in dem bereich was geändert wird.
da ist noch ein kleines problem das ab und an auftrifft
Old 11-14-2015, 05:33 PM   #135
Symptym
Symptym began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Kobo Aura HD Scanline Settings

Just tried this on my Aura HD running 3.18.0 in English.

Still getting the delay timings right (it's still leaving 'power off' on occasion when I'm testing it) but the offset and patterns seem to work just fine.

Code:
offset=145
standby=f400e0d8bdc587d96e9d14fcd584144c
poweroff=0721f0fe4c1e6e1b1e4137531f2fea80
I'm considering running the offsets and patterns for other languages if I can get the delay timings so if anybody has them I'd be pretty grateful.
Symptym is offline   Reply With Quote