Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 05-19-2015, 10:05 PM   #1066
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahpooya View Post
please create an option like -neg but without images inverse
only texts and background inverse
Should not be difficult to do.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:09 AM   #1067
nook user
nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.nook user knows what's going on.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
K2pdfopt
last updated from 6 March 2015

2 1/2 months ago..???
nook user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:40 AM   #1068
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook user View Post
K2pdfopt

2 1/2 months ago..???
My free time is limited these days. Still chipping away at a new release.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:20 AM   #1069
wertykal
wertykal has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wertykal has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wertykal has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wertykal has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wertykal has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kobo aura h2o
Hi Willus,
First of all great work you're doing with k2pdfopt. really changed the way I use my reader.
I was wondering whether you can add in some vectorization capability alongside ClearScan from Adobe or SmoothScan.
Best regards and thanks again for your work
wertykal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:27 PM   #1070
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wertykal View Post
Hi Willus,
First of all great work you're doing with k2pdfopt. really changed the way I use my reader.
I was wondering whether you can add in some vectorization capability alongside ClearScan from Adobe or SmoothScan.
Best regards and thanks again for your work
Thank you. That would be a very nice feature, but I'm afraid something like that is beyond my time availability for now. ClearScan is proprietary, and SmoothScan would require me to depend on several more 3rd party libraries plus python, and I don't think I have the energy for that. I'd recommend just using a separate tool to post-process the k2pdfopt output. Sorry.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:59 AM   #1071
wertykal
wertykal has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wertykal has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wertykal has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wertykal has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wertykal has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kobo aura h2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
Thank you. That would be a very nice feature, but I'm afraid something like that is beyond my time availability for now. ClearScan is proprietary, and SmoothScan would require me to depend on several more 3rd party libraries plus python, and I don't think I have the energy for that. I'd recommend just using a separate tool to post-process the k2pdfopt output. Sorry.
thank you
wertykal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:51 AM   #1072
JensW
Enthusiast
JensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trolls

Device: Kindle 4
Thumbs up

Hey Willus,
impressive patch notes you have there for each update Remarkable that you still find things to add and that you devote your time to the project.

All the best, Jens

------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook user View Post
K2pdfopt

2 1/2 months ago..???
And what entitled you to free regular updates? k2pdfopt is open source - make your own updates if you can't wait.
JensW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #1073
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensW View Post
Hey Willus,
impressive patch notes you have there for each update Remarkable that you still find things to add and that you devote your time to the project.
Thank you, Jens. Always great to hear from you! I hope you are doing well.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:06 PM   #1074
isaacbh
Connoisseur
isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
I have just recently discovered this great software, and am very impressed. Getting excellent results in the few pdfs I've tried so far.

Small issue: The Kobo H2O has a height of 1430p, not 1310p. Was that number chosen on purpose? For now I use -h 1430 -w 1080 -dpi 265 to avoid blank areas at top and bottom, as displayed on the device (and a small -om value for comfortable margins).

Again thank you for your work.

Last edited by isaacbh; 06-02-2015 at 05:08 PM.
isaacbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:06 PM   #1075
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacbh View Post
I have just recently discovered this great software, and am very impressed. Getting excellent results in the few pdfs I've tried so far.

Small issue: The Kobo H2O has a height of 1430p, not 1310p. Was that number chosen on purpose? For now I use -h 1430 -w 1080 -dpi 265 to avoid blank areas at top and bottom, as displayed on the device (and a small -om value for comfortable margins).

Again thank you for your work.
Thanks for the feedback. The screen resolution was chosen for a Kobo H2O in "normal" mode rather than full-screen mode. See this thread. I wasn't sure which is the most commonly used mode. You have chosen the correct settings for using the Kobo H2O in full-screen mode. I can add these as a selectable option in a future revision.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:53 AM   #1076
isaacbh
Connoisseur
isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Thanks for the quick answer. I have two more questions: is there a way to specify which pages not to process? Sometimes there are a few pages interspersed throughout the book that I prefer not to process. Specifying them directly would be easier. Also, does k2pdfopt handle metadata? It would be nice to set the internal title and author. Or does this information get passed along to the processed file?
Old 06-03-2015, 11:38 PM   #1077
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Thanks for the quick answer. I have two more questions: is there a way to specify which pages not to process? Sometimes there are a few pages interspersed throughout the book that I prefer not to process. Specifying them directly would be easier. Also, does k2pdfopt handle metadata? It would be nice to set the internal title and author. Or does this information get passed along to the processed file?
There is not a way to specify pages to exclude at the moment. It would be an easy feature to implement. I think you've already figured this out, but for now you just have to specify the page ranges around the excluded pages, e.g. to exclude pages 10 and 73:

-p 1-9,11-72,74-

If you use native PDF output, all of the metadata (/Info strings) in the original file should be passed along to the converted file. With bitmap output, only the "Title" and "Author" /Info strings in the source PDF file are passed along to the output file, but other possible strings such as "Creator", "Subject", and "Keywords" are not (though I find that these are rarely populated). There is presently no way to specify this information (again, it wouldn't be hard to implement).
Old 06-04-2015, 01:48 PM   #1078
isaacbh
Connoisseur

What's the cause of inconsistent line spacing? I'm converting a pdf that is just text, and I'm trying to figure out why the spacing is not even. It perfectly readable, but still...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sfs_k2opt.pdf (115.1 KB, 202 views)
File Type: pdf sfs_marked.pdf (226.0 KB, 208 views)
Old 06-04-2015, 08:47 PM   #1079
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
What's the cause of inconsistent line spacing? I'm converting a pdf that is just text, and I'm trying to figure out why the spacing is not even. It perfectly readable, but still...
By default, k2pdfopt removes large white space from the document because the assumption is that you want to put as much content on your reader page as possible. There are a number of settings that affect this, but the main one is -vs. See the command-line options. For this document, since the text width is pretty narrow already, you might want to just use the "fitwidth" conversion mode. That will also preserve vertical spacing.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:17 PM   #1080
kulmam92
kulmam92 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle voyage
Hi Willus,

I'm trying to convert pdf book(not scanned) for the optimal format for kindle voyage. One of the issues that I'm having is that bookmarks information that I can see when I open the original pdf is gone after the conversion. If I open the converted file using adobe reader, bookmarks are missing from the navigation pane.

Below is the option that I used.
-ui- -x -dev kpw -col 1 -f2p -n

Can you help me out?
kulmam92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools