Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 06:21 PM   #91
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
I was very excited by the increase in font sizes, downloaded the firmware, then found out that, of course, none of these new sizes actually go smaller than before not a very interesting update for me, I'm afraid.
Have you checked if the "FONT_RAMP" feature is still working on 5.8.11?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #92
chezz
chezz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I like the new boldness slider, too bad it doesn't work on custom fonts
chezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2017, 07:04 PM   #93
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Anyone having issues sideloading books on Voyage with this new firmware? Book isn't showing up for me. Never had issues before.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #94
Ocicat
Groupie
Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Librie,PRS900,950,K4, KT, PW1&2, KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
Wow! This is the biggest update improvement I have seen in a long, long time. The new font size and boldness selectors look a lot like what Kobo has done for years. There are 14 size selections and 6 boldness selection (if you include 0). Don't know what took them so long, but I am tremendously happy they finally did it. I had been using font size 4, and now can comfortably go down to 3 by increasing the boldness up to 2 from zero. Feels almost like I have a brand new reader. Thanks Amazon!
Same here, size 3 and boldness 2, love update on both Voyage and PW2.
Ocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:55 PM   #95
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran View Post
According to the 7" user's guide, there's a new menu item called Accessibility in the settings menu. This is completely absent in the first Oasis as far as I can see. Like font bolding, I'll give invert a try when the new one arrives and see if I like it. It might be useful for reading late at night in bed, though as it is the light from the screen isn't very bright and not a bother.
Up to now, Paperwhite3/Voyage/Oasis show Accessibility menu only when you plug in the audio dongle which enables VoiceView (provided you have installed the voice files).

On the Kindle (8th gen), which has Bluetooth, with the latest update, the Accessibility menu is there even when VoiceView is not enabled. (To enable VV without accessing the menu, you have to 1) put the BT audio device in pairing mode, 2) press power button for 7 seconds, and 3) touch the screen with 2 fingers for a second, and then 4) wait for pairing to complete.)

But the new ‘Display Size’ and ‘Invert Black & White’ Accessibility settings pertain only to Oasis 2. Display Size may require the larger screen, and Invert Black & White may have a hardware dependency (Oasis 2 has a newer GPU which may enable the feature). So all you would see there would be the toggle for VoiceView, the VV Tutorial, VV Speech Rate and VV Volume options.

Too bad if Invert feature cannot be backported.

Recently I again came across an Oasis 1 teardown which revealed that it has Bluetooth capability. And now we have learned that the Audible player will arrive for Kindle (8th gen) and Oasis 1 ‘in a few months’ (but not for the other Kindles), which would seem to confirm that Oasis 1 indeed has Bluetooth. Presumably this Audible feature update will finally enable BT on Oasis 1 (along with official accessibility support).

It seems they could modify the other Kindles to support Audible but they would need to complicate the procedure used to enable VoiceView, something which now is as simple as plugging in the dongle. So that probably won’t happen.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-12-2017 at 08:14 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2017, 08:02 PM   #96
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I’m back to Size 1, now more readable with a bit of Boldness (+1).

It’s too bad they didn’t see fit to give us more margin and line spacing settings. Better luck next time.

The other thing that they should do (particularly on tablets) is to have independent font/line spacing/margin settings for Portrait and Landscape.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:33 PM   #97
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlinear View Post
I just loaded the new software on my Voyager. Looks like FONT_RAMP no longer works. I find that both the bold and font settings are much too aggressive. Bold gets ridiculously bold very quickly and font size gets ridiculously large/small very quickly. I liked FONT_RAMP because I could set a smaller differentiation between font sizes. Disappointed in this new software.
If you were jailbroke, did you remember to reinstall all hacks?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:50 PM   #98
jlinear
Connoisseur
jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Aura One, Libra 2, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
If you were jailbroke, did you remember to reinstall all hacks?
I no longer jailbreak. I'm settling for the changes I can make using Calibre.
jlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:02 PM   #99
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I’m back to Size 1, now more readable with a bit of Boldness (+1).

It’s too bad they didn’t see fit to give us more margin and line spacing settings. Better luck next time.

The other thing that they should do (particularly on tablets) is to have independent font/line spacing/margin settings for Portrait and Landscape.
But these are not tablets, they are e-book readers.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:21 PM   #100
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
But these are not tablets, they are e-book readers.
I did say ‘particularly on tablets’.

But just because most ereaders are designed to operate in portrait mode due to button placement, they would be considered deficient if landscape were not also available (I believe one of the Kindles launched without it but it was quickly corrected).

For example, I sometimes want to read while jogging on a treadmill without glasses. I need bigger text so I can still read it as I bounce along. And that works better in landscape as the words per line are more optimal. But I don’t want bigger text to persist in Portrait when I’m doing more sedentary reading and have my glasses on.

Typographically the settings should be different, even if this isn’t something most people consider in practice.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:22 PM   #101
kanjo
kanjo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Anyone having issues sideloading books on Voyage with this new firmware? Book isn't showing up for me. Never had issues before.
Same happened to me with 5.8.11, I noticed that if I put a book in /documents folder it won't show up unless I restart the device, but if I put it in a folder inside documents, it does show up flawlessly.

Also, I wanted to test the bold control in a book that I was reading (mobi), so I covert it with calibre to azw3, deleted the old .mobi and replace it with the .azw3 book, but in the kindle the deleted one still show up, and if I want to try to open it, it says it's no longer on the device, but won't let me delete the book. Did not dissapear after a restart nor I cannot delete it through USB (because it's not there at all). It's not a big deal but I convert a bunch of book and now my kindle shows a lot of duplicates. Anyone else have experienced something similar with the new update? Should I let it be or try to delete them any other way?

PD: sorry for my English!
kanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:41 PM   #102
septentrion
Addict
septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2014, Kindle Voyage and Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjo View Post
Same happened to me with 5.8.11, I noticed that if I put a book in /documents folder it won't show up unless I restart the device, but if I put it in a folder inside documents, it does show up flawlessly.

Also, I wanted to test the bold control in a book that I was reading (mobi), so I covert it with calibre to azw3, deleted the old .mobi and replace it with the .azw3 book, but in the kindle the deleted one still show up, and if I want to try to open it, it says it's no longer on the device, but won't let me delete the book. Did not dissapear after a restart nor I cannot delete it through USB (because it's not there at all). It's not a big deal but I convert a bunch of book and now my kindle shows a lot of duplicates. Anyone else have experienced something similar with the new update? Should I let it be or try to delete them any other way?

PD: sorry for my English!
I've had such a problem with my paperwhite and my voyage. It seems the only thing you can do to get rid of that empty book on your device is to «réinitialiser» it ie reinstall everything (can't find the right word now). I didn't do it because I have more than a thousand books on my Kindle but it's the way to do it.
septentrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:25 AM   #103
kanjo
kanjo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by septentrion View Post
I've had such a problem with my paperwhite and my voyage. It seems the only thing you can do to get rid of that empty book on your device is to «réinitialiser» it ie reinstall everything (can't find the right word now). I didn't do it because I have more than a thousand books on my Kindle but it's the way to do it.
Do you mean restore the kindle? It seems my problem is the same as here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ht=delete+book and the solution was restore, but then I would lose the jailbreak, isn't it?

Edit: I reset the kindle and restored jailbreak with Coplate's package. Everything seems perfect until now

Last edited by kanjo; 10-13-2017 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Resolved
kanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:05 AM   #104
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Eliy's statement is wrong. Font bolding does not work with embedded publisher fonts. You'll have to select one of the default Kindle fonts. (At least it didn't work with the KindleGen generated AZW3 books that I tested it with.)

BTW, you don't have to convert your personal documents to KFX files, AZW3 will do. Of course, you'll get slightly better results with KFX files, but the Calibre KFX output plugin occasionally fails to convert books to KFX.
Sorry, I was a bit unclear. I use mobi already as I send all my books via email.
As far as I know there is no way to send anything else. That is why I said I wish Amazon would finally allow conversion of emailed docs to kfx. They still advertise the personal docs feature but in comparison to their own books it is now seriously gimped...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:57 AM   #105
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Sorry, I was a bit unclear. I use mobi already as I send all my books via email.
As far as I know there is no way to send anything else.
You can email a "dual Mobi" (ie a file containing both Mobi and KF8). The KF8 version of the book will then download to your Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font_ramp