Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-29-2014, 07:24 AM   #1
variousvirgil
variousvirgil began at the beginning.

Device: kpw2
How to downgrade a jail-broken 5.6.1 kpw2?

Hi, everyone!
I have a jailbroken kpw2 with firmware version 5.6.1, with RP installed, and I want to know how to downgrade it since the updater of 5.6.1 is really evil. THANKS!
variousvirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by variousvirgil View Post
Hi, everyone!
I have a jailbroken kpw2 with firmware version 5.6.1, with RP installed, and I want to know how to downgrade it since the updater of 5.6.1 is really evil. THANKS!
Step #1: Connect your 1.8v low-voltage serial to USB adapter to the Kindle operator's serial port ;

Step #2: If you get past #1, then there are several recent threads on the subject that include step-by-step.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@variousvirgil: Which JB version did you have before the update?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, I missed that point, I must have been speed reading over the important facts again.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:20 AM   #5
variousvirgil

Thanks for your reply.
@NiLuJe: I installed the bridge of 1.13 JB, and excuted JB script in kterm manually because the update bin doesn't work for 5.4.5.1, and the JB does work well in 5.6.1
@knc1: Can we use RP to downgrade?

Last edited by variousvirgil; 11-29-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Advert
Old 11-29-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@variousvirgil: Why do people keep trying to install both the bridge and the JB? (That's not a rhetorical question, I'm quite keen to know what in the docs leads you to believe that's needed).

That said, yes, you can downgrade from diags, just get the kernel & rootfs from an official update w/ kindletool, and flash it manually. This thread details the procedure, albeit for a different device/FW version, but that's still relevant, just use the proper files.

Make *absolutely* sure you're using a FW version targeting your device, or you will shoot yourself in the foot.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:48 AM   #7
variousvirgil

@NiLuJe: I have to admit this reflects some kind of anxiety, LOL
Anyway, thanks for your hospitable and effective help!
Old 11-29-2014, 11:21 AM   #8
variousvirgil

I forgot to ask whether the "seek" argument in dd command is still 65.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Excellent question to which I'm not sure I have the answer, sorry .
Old 11-29-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I forgot to ask whether the "seek" argument in dd command is still 65.
Do you mean in step #8?
Install the 5.3.0 main kernel: dd if=/mnt/us/uImage of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=4096 seek=65

The 'seek' argument skips obs (output blocks) before it starts writing.

Which means that /dev/mmcblk0 would have to (still) be laid out on your device the same as it was on the device for which the directions where written.

Now that you can confirm for your device:
1) copy some small number of blocks (say 100) to your pc -
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=your_choice bs=4096 count=100

2) use your favorite hex dumper (od is a good choice) to copy some small 'signature' string from
uImage.
The format of a uImage file hasn't change in a long time - the first 16 bytes will probably get enough of the header to recognize it.

3) on the your_choice file, at offsets starting on block boundaries (0, 4096, 8192, etc) check if the first 16 bytes match the 16 bytes of your sample.

{You might get lucky and just check block 65 and 66 first).

But anywho - that is how to find where on the raw device you should align the start of the uImage file that you are writing.

If that isn't "hospitable and effective help" enough for you, go somewhere else.

Last edited by knc1; 11-29-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #11
variousvirgil

@knc1: Well, I was just not sure whether the format is not changing from to version to version so that I can use the data gathered from 5.6.1 to judge the layout, and I'm now free from all inhibitions. Thank you for the important information!
It's really hospitable and effective help!

I'm not a native speaker, and I have to use dictionaries often, so I cannot know whether my wording is making sense...
Old 11-30-2014, 01:52 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
@knc1: Well, I was just not sure whether the format is not changing from to version to version so that I can use the data gathered from 5.6.1 to judge the layout, and I'm now free from all inhibitions. Thank you for the important information!
It's really hospitable and effective help!

I'm not a native speaker, and I have to use dictionaries often, so I cannot know whether my wording is making sense...
It might be changing from firmware version to firmware version since the start of Amazon shipping complete images.
(About the time those directions where written.)

I don't think anyone ever checked if or when they change the storage layout.

Geekmaster wrote a tool to locate the start of the kernel and the start of the partitioned area.
I think since then, people just leave it up to his tool to find it.

- - - - -

Of course, u-boot "knows" where to start reading the raw device from.
That information is contained in its environment settings (as a byte offset, not a block offset).

You can display that information while in u-boot with the "printenv" command.

Last edited by knc1; 11-30-2014 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:08 AM   #13
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
the updater of 5.6.1 is really evil.
Hi virgil, what do you exactly mean by that?
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:56 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
Hi virgil, what do you exactly mean by that?
It tries its best to **not** install our non-Amazon packages.

Which just means that we will have to transition away from using the Amazon provided package installer during the coming year.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:25 AM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

To be precise, it chucks the current format we're using. Working around that and still using the OTA Updater can (for now) still be done, but that's mostly irrelevant right now, since we can do it ourselves w/ MRPI. That's an issue best left discussed if/when we get an 'easy' KT2/KV jailbreak, since we possibly can't run KUAL (and thus MRPI) on these.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-30-2014 at 08:28 AM.