Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #1
RhD97
RhD97 began at the beginning.

Device: Kinde 8th generation
Is this normal for a Kindle 8th battery?

I have had my Kindle 8th generation for 6 days now and I have used it for about 30-40min a day. I have made downloads and connected to a wireless network a few times. After 6 days the battery level is on 76%. I wonder if that is normal or it is draining quicker than expected. When I put it aside and pick it up the next day the battery usually goes down 1 or 2%, without being connected to any networks. Is it normal for a 8th generation kindle? I know it is not the most sophisticated edition that's why I wonder if this is normal for its kind of battery.
RhD97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:21 PM   #2
RhD97

When I first charged it I unplugged it when the light turned green and the battery was on 99%
Advert
Old 02-07-2019, 02:27 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Indexing books after a download uses a significant amount of power. I'd suggest leaving it connected to an external power source until indexing is complete.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:56 PM   #4
RhD97

Thanks for your recommendation. So you say this is normal? The battery on this level after 6 days?
Old 02-07-2019, 02:57 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's not abnormal.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2019, 03:00 PM   #6
RhD97

Thank you
Old 02-07-2019, 04:27 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhD97 View Post
I have had my Kindle 8th generation for 6 days now and I have used it for about 30-40min a day. I have made downloads and connected to a wireless network a few times. After 6 days the battery level is on 76%. I wonder if that is normal or it is draining quicker than expected. When I put it aside and pick it up the next day the battery usually goes down 1 or 2%, without being connected to any networks. Is it normal for a 8th generation kindle? I know it is not the most sophisticated edition that's why I wonder if this is normal for its kind of battery.
Hello again.

Amazon say battery life of four weeks reading 30 minutes a day. So 76% after six days reading 30-40min a day sounds almost spot on.

As Harry says, if you've downloaded a lot, that'll also use up power in indexing the books.

If your battery was now at 10%, that would be cause for concern.

On a related topic:

Lithium ion batteries (like the Kindle's) are said do better being regularly charged up, rather than waiting for the battery level to drop to near zero before charging. I mention this only because older battery technologies (e.g. nickel cadmium) were reputed to be the other way around.

Whether this is a real effect or not I don't know but, anecdotally, people who charge regularly (say once a week) seem to have better long-term battery performance than those who only recharge when absolutely necessary.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:55 PM   #8
RhD97

I see. Thank you
Old 02-07-2019, 11:11 PM   #9
kcladyz
Member Retired
kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW4, KOBO H2O and Aura One E2, zenpad, ipad pro, Kindle fires
Try buying an Oasis 2. It will be down to 76% in a day
kcladyz is offline   Reply With Quote