Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-26-2019, 06:40 PM   #16
Tuneraider
Tuneraider began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo AuraV2, H2OV2, Kindle PW2&3, Voyage, Oasis2
Another option might be a refurbished Kindle from Amazon if one is in stock.
Tuneraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:27 PM   #17
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuneraider View Post
Another option might be a refurbished Kindle from Amazon if one is in stock.
Like one of these?

https://www.woot.com/category/comput...t_lnd_cat_pc_5
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2019, 10:05 PM   #18
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The same with my 2012 black basic Kindle (non-touchscreen, with buttons). Of course its low resolution started to bother me, after I got the Voyage.
A modernized K4NT (frontlight, 300dpi, 8GB, and a cover that is actually easily removable) would be awesome.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:14 PM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Doesn't the Carta vs Pearl screen make more of a difference?
I don't know if it makes more of a difference, but it makes a lot of difference. At least in my case. My two newest eReaders (both without front lights and both with 800x600 screens at 167ppi) are the Kindle Basic and Tolino Page. The Basic has a Pearl screen and the Page has an E-Carta screen. The E-Carta is much sharper and has fewer issues with ghosting — and it doesn't need to refresh nearly as much.

If Amazon is phasing out the current line of Kindle Basics, I hope the new Kindle Basic (if they produce one) will have an E-Carta screen.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:48 AM   #20
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
My personal experience is that with the frontlight off, a Pearl screen actually looks better than a Carta (aside from resolution, of course). With the frontlight on, even at low levels, it's vice versa.

Note that I've only used and compared various Kindles, not Kobos or any other readers.
Interesting.

I just looked at my Sony 650 (Pearl) and my Kobo Glo HD (Carta, light off), and to me, the Carta screen appears to have a whiter background and darker text.

I was just trying to compare contrast.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2019, 06:58 AM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Interesting.

I just looked at my Sony 650 (Pearl) and my Kobo Glo HD (Carta, light off), and to me, the Carta screen appears to have a whiter background and darker text.

I was just trying to compare contrast.
When I said "sharper" what I really meant was higher contrast. Which makes the fonts appear to be more defined (sharper).
Old 01-27-2019, 07:14 AM   #22
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
When I said "sharper" what I really meant was higher contrast. Which makes the fonts appear to be more defined (sharper).
Which is fine. I was trying to determine if the frontlight/light-layer-guide "cancels out" the Carta vs Pearl contrast advantage (going back to my first post).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:31 PM   #23
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 4, 5, 7 & 8, Nook ST, Glo, HD+, Echos
I've never had the ghosting issue except on a very old Kindle Keyboard (and there is a fix for that). Is this a random act of glitch or is this problem common in newer units?

To keep this related to the original post, The Kindle Basic is back up for sale again ($79.99)
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:15 PM   #24
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
To keep this related to the original post, The Kindle Basic is back up for sale again ($79.99)
Really? I still do not see it listed at Amazon.ca, which is what kicked off this thread. It was always available at Amazon.com.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:42 PM   #25
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2
It's on the UK site too.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:40 PM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Which is fine. I was trying to determine if the frontlight/light-layer-guide "cancels out" the Carta vs Pearl contrast advantage (going back to my first post).
I shouldn't write late at night. What I meant to say is that the Carta's contrast makes the fonts look sharper (emphasis on contrast). I was using your post to correct mine.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:46 PM   #27
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I've never had the ghosting issue except on a very old Kindle Keyboard (and there is a fix for that). Is this a random act of glitch or is this problem common in newer units?
Ghosting wasn't really the right word. (I'm having trouble saying what I mean.) What I meant is that the Carta screen doesn't work as hard at refreshing. The only time I really get "ghosting" on Pearl screens is when I'm moving from a graphical menu to a book and the screen hasn't refreshed yet. I do have a Nook ST (that I picked up on Shop Goodwill) that has real ghosting issues.

Quote:
The problem is that Amazon doesn't ship to Canada. (I don't think Woot does either.)
Old 01-28-2019, 04:53 PM   #28
Ecou
Ecou began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle basic
In Canada it is still not available
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0186FET66/...v_shopall_k_ki

I read on amazon web site that if you hold the power button for 3 seconds you get a menu that let you turn off the light on paper white. Could anybody confirm this?
Ecou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:40 PM   #29
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecou View Post

I read on amazon web site that if you hold the power button for 3 seconds you get a menu that let you turn off the light on paper white. Could anybody confirm this?
This may be possible on later models, I'm not sure, but it's not possible on the PW2.

What did Customer Support say when you asked why the Basic was unavailable?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:59 PM   #30
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecou View Post

No such menu for 3 seconds on either PW3 or PW4. There is however a menu to turn the screen off after holding for 7 seconds. Needless to say, you can't read in that mode.

As I mentioned earlier though, turning down frontlight all the way to 0 on the PW4 completely turns off the light.

On PW2 and PW3 0 just dims it but doesn't completely turn it off.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote