Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-28-2019, 08:07 PM   #31
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
No such menu for 3 seconds on either PW3 or PW4. There is however a menu to turn the screen off after holding for 7 seconds. Needless to say, you can't read in that mode.

As I mentioned earlier though, turning down frontlight all the way to 0 on the PW4 completely turns off the light.

On PW2 and PW3 0 just dims it but doesn't completely turn it off.
I just restarted my kindle trying that!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:24 PM   #32
Ecou
Ecou began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
This may be possible on later models, I'm not sure, but it's not possible on the PW2.

What did Customer Support say when you asked why the Basic was unavailable?
They basically said in other word that it was unavailable and they did not know when it would be. They offered to send me a mail when it would be.
Ecou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:29 PM   #33
Ecou

Quote:
No such menu for 3 seconds on either PW3 or PW4. There is however a menu to turn the screen off after holding for 7 seconds. Needless to say, you can't read in that mode.

As I mentioned earlier though, turning down frontlight all the way to 0 on the PW4 completely turns off the light.

On PW2 and PW3 0 just dims it but doesn't completely turn it off.
Oh I guess I missed that. Thank you for reminding me. Is it the same for the Canadian version? I don’t wanna have to return a second kindle. Jeff Bezos is not gonna find it funny.

My Kindle was a PW3. I think I will order a PW4.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:14 PM   #34
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I just restarted my kindle trying that!
Tried just now on PW2 running 5.10.x.

The LED power light flashes to let you know when to release. If you continue holding the button, the device will restart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PW2 screenshot.png
Views:	50
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	169354  
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:42 PM   #35
sqdancer
Fanatic
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo AuraHD H2O GloHD Clara, Kindle Touch2 K4NT PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecou View Post
Oh I guess I missed that. Thank you for reminding me. Is it the same for the Canadian version? I don’t wanna have to return a second kindle. Jeff Bezos is not gonna find it funny.

My Kindle was a PW3. I think I will order a PW4.
I got my PW4 from amazon CA and the light does turn completely off if you turn it down to 0. (I just checked it in the closet )
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:27 AM   #36
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Tried just now on PW2 running 5.10.x.

The LED power light flashes to let you know when to release. If you continue holding the button, the device will restart.
No, it just restarted again. My firmware is 5.9.7.

On the other hand, I like the light. The OP could perhaps try a more recent PW with up-to-date firmware.

Last edited by BookCat; 01-29-2019 at 11:30 AM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:58 AM   #37
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
No, it just restarted again. My firmware is 5.9.7.

On the other hand, I like the light. The OP could perhaps try a more recent PW with up-to-date firmware.
Mind, none of the options turns off the light anyway. Well, "Screen Off" does but that puts the Kindle on sleep model as well so can't use it anyhow.

In the absence of Kindle Basic, I reckon PW4 with frontlight level at 0 is probably the OP's best bet.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:02 PM   #38
FrustratedReader
Busy elsewhere
FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The PW3 light at 0 does seem dimmer than PW2 at 0 and just a dim glow in the dark. I use a bedside light or the room light and you'd not think the PW3 is on.
However not all PW3 models seem to be the same. The November 2018 one has a different feel of screen and slightly different "white" to an older PW3.
FrustratedReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:37 PM   #39
binaryhermit
Addict
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen, Kindle Keyboard with 3g
Inconsistency between eInk screens on devices of the same model, at least on frontlit devices, seems to be a real and somewhat normal thing.

And it wouldn't surprise me to see a new basic kindle with a different eInk generation come out. Or maybe a 10th gen basic kindle like the Paperwhite, depending on what the differences between generations are?

EDIT: Not meaning to start a rumor, to make it clear, this is a gut feeling based on what's openly available on the threads I've read on this forum. I don't want to start a rumor.

EDIT#2: Speaking of starting rumors, I wonder why a certain "good" eBook site hasn't taken this thread as inspiration for one of their patented clickbait articles, maybe it's because they declared the basic kindle discontinued on June 5th 2018

EDIT#3: I don't think the basic kindle's gone for good unless there's some sort of replacement at that price point. I don't see them abandoning the $80-ish USD market permanently. (Another edit: Unless they're hemorrhaging money on the basic kindle)

Last edited by binaryhermit; 02-01-2019 at 04:47 PM.
binaryhermit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:29 PM   #40
Ecou

I finally ordered a PW4 and received it today. I’m very happy with the light turning fully off as sqdancer said. Thank you very much to all those that contributed.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:10 PM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The basic Kindle is in stock at Amazon UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:37 PM   #42
binaryhermit
Addict
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen, Kindle Keyboard with 3g
And Amazon US https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K1SQ8VZ/

For what it's worth, a major-ish ebook blog, can't remember which one, wrote a piece on the best ebook reader under $100
Spoiler:
(It was the $99 kobo, whatever it's called)

They ripped the basic kindle's value proposition a new one in that article.

EDIT: Found it https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...for-under-100/
binaryhermit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:21 AM   #43
FrustratedReader
Busy elsewhere
FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The basic Kindle is in stock at Amazon UK.
I know someone that ordered from UK and cancelled a week ago because after 2 weeks it still wasn't dispatched.
FrustratedReader is offline   Reply With Quote