Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
JimKelly
JimKelly began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Email auto transfer problem

First thanks to Kovid for a wonderful tool. It is feeding my new Kindle3 with no problems at all as long as it is connected. However, I cannot get email to work and am getting the following errors, which are little help to me:

Without Server:
ERROR: Failed to email books: Failed to email the following books:

USA Today

Failed to send mail: error(10060, 'A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 597, in _send_mails
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 82, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 74, in sendmail_direct
IOError: Failed to send mail: error(10060, 'A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond')

With server:
ERROR: Failed to email books: Failed to email the following books:

USA Today

(10060, 'A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond')
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 597, in _send_mails
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 96, in sendmail
File "smtplib.py", line 295, in connect
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 86, in _get_socket
File "smtplib.py", line 754, in _get_socket
File "socket.py", line 514, in create_connection
error: [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

The formats are the default [AZW,MOBI,TPZ,PRC,AZW1]. automail is checked. I have tried with and without the email server. I have checked the to and from addresses. I have tried various downloads, some of which have been transfered via USB and others not yet. I have even done a manual email from my gmail account to my @free.kindle.com -- it worked perfectly.

I don't see anything else to try. Please help!

Jim Kelly
Old 08-31-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I would suggest setting up a free gmail account and suing that to send the email.
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I got the same error when I first tried to set up emailing. I now do it through my free gmail account, and it works great. If you need any help, PM me and I'm glad to assist, if I can. Mine works, anyway.

Welcome to MobileRead!
Old 08-31-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
JimKelly
JimKelly began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I would suggest setting up a free gmail account and suing that to send the email.
Thanks, but I am already using my free gmail. I tried my yahoo account and got the same result. Both are on my approved email source list at amazon. I also rebooted my PC.

Any other ideas?
Old 10-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
Trilobite
Trilobite began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Sorry, I accidentally posted the same problem myself earlier today (didn't see this thread).
I've got exactly the same problem as JimKelly and I'm also using gmail.
I think this problem only surfaced after I upgraded to the latest release of the software.
I don't recall seeing it prior to that.

Justin.
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
Ketandp
Ketandp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, Sony PRS 700BC
Same problem

Hi Guys,

It seems I'm facing the same problem here.
This is what I get when I test using my free gmail account.

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\wizard\send_email.py", line 108, in test_email_settings
File "smtplib.py", line 295, in connect
File "smtplib.py", line 273, in _get_socket
File "socket.py", line 514, in create_connection
error: [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

Log:
connect: (u'smtp.gmail.com', 587)
connect: (587, u'smtp.gmail.com')

I have got the latest caliber installed a couple of days back. Is this an issue with the latest version? Shall I try to go back to a couple versions? Which one has worked if someone can share please?
Thank you
Ketan.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No it's not a problem with the latest version. The email code in calibre hasn't changed in a long time
Old 10-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
Ketandp

Ok,
So, do we know what is this problem about so far!! I mean what could have been causing this? We can think of some workaround if we know the cause..
Old 10-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

the error message is pretty clear isn't it? It says that the gmail smtp server is timing out. Since it's unlikely that the gamil smtp server is having problems, that means the problem is somewhere along the network path to the server, most probably in a proxy.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
Ketandp

SMTPTrace seems to be working fine to the smtp.gmail.com.

I'm wondering why calibre simply hangs when I use this same port (465). It hung for more than 15 minutes after which I just aborted.

=========================
>tracetcp.exe smtp.gmail.com:465 -m 35

Tracing route to 74.125.47.109 [yw-in-f109.1e100.net] on port 465
Over a maximum of 35 hops.
1 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms 192.168.0.1
2 146 ms 3 ms 41 ms 192.168.1.1
3 37 ms 37 ms 37 ms 122.167.0.1 [ABTS-KK-Dynamic-001.0.167.122.a
irtelbroadband.in]
4 36 ms 36 ms 37 ms 122.166.32.165 [ABTS-KK-Static-165.32.166.122.a
irtelbroadband.in]
5 36 ms 40 ms 35 ms 122.166.32.9 [ABTS-KK-Static-009.32.166.122.a
irtelbroadband.in]
6 43 ms 43 ms 43 ms 122.175.255.29
7 45 ms 45 ms 43 ms 125.21.167.70
8 50 ms 49 ms 49 ms 72.14.216.229
9 50 ms 49 ms 49 ms 66.249.94.170
10 121 ms 89 ms 76 ms 66.249.94.74
11 148 ms 144 ms 145 ms 209.85.254.155
12 231 ms 238 ms 232 ms 209.85.242.251
13 236 ms 236 ms 236 ms 72.14.239.13
14 296 ms 289 ms 289 ms 72.14.233.117
15 315 ms 435 ms 553 ms 209.85.242.215
16 305 ms 321 ms 307 ms 72.14.232.213
17 316 ms * * 209.85.253.165
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 Destination Reached in 312 ms. Connection established to 74.125.47.109
Trace Complete.
=========================

This same thing didnt work for port # 587.

This is what I read about TraceTCP.
"It works using TCP SYN packets rather than ICMP/UDP packets that the usual implementations use, thus bypassing gateways that block traditional traceroute packets"

Does this make any difference? Any pointers??

EDIT::

OK, I got this after I left it for some longer period of time to see if it really gives some error.

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\wizard\send_email.py", line 108, in test_email_settings
File "smtplib.py", line 296, in connect
File "smtplib.py", line 340, in getreply
SMTPServerDisconnected: Connection unexpectedly closed

Log:

Last edited by Ketandp; 10-27-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #11
bjdeehan
bjdeehan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Hi!

I don't know if my problem is related but recently (last few days) some auto mailings of various newspapers have started to fail. The email generated to my gmail account usually reads:

" Your message did not include any attached documents or image files"

When I check calibre the news feed has been successfully generated and I can use the internal viewer to see the content. This is happening with 2 or 3 newspaper feeds (sueddeutsche zeitung for example).

I haven't recently upgraded the software and as far as I can tell nothing else has changed (particularly the recipes which are the one supplied with calibre). Any ideas if these issues are linked?
Old 10-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

do the ones that fail have non ascii characters in their titles?
Old 10-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #13
bjdeehan

I'd not thought of that, but yes they due as they are generally German newspaper titles. I know that at least one will have an umlaut character. They where working at the start of the week, however.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Since you changed nothing in calibre the likely culprit is a change in the kindle email handling.

First send one of these files via the Connect/Share button to your own email account and make sure the attachment is coming through.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #15
bjdeehan

Sorry for the delay in replying; I didn't have my kindle to hand at the time.

I've tried sending from Calibre via right clicking and choosing connect/share -> email and that works absolutely fine; the attachment is received as expected. I again tried the auto emailing function and again I received an error message in my gmail account.

If something has altered in the way amazon / kindle handle email attachments why does it show up in one method but not the other?
Closed Thread

Tags
email transfer