Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
LaLa4363
Enthusiast
LaLa4363 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Gen,iPod touch,iPad, iPhone 4
PRS 900 owners

Can a previous 600 owner tell me if there is a significant difference with the 900's screen clarity and contrast?
LaLa4363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Hi LaLa

There are several threads here in which people have mentioned a difference in clarity and glare, I'm not sure I've seen the word "significant" used, but most people have said that it is definitely improved in the 900 over the 600.

Here's a few of them:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69602
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68199
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=66541&page=2

Hope that helps

Last edited by dsvick; 01-15-2010 at 04:03 PM.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa4363 View Post
Can a previous 600 owner tell me if there is a significant difference with the 900's screen clarity and contrast?
Yes, there is.
Personally, I'd say it's about the same difference from Sony 600 to Sony 900 as from 700 to Sony 600.
It's easily visible. If going for a new reader and solely deciding based on the screen, Sony 900 clearly is preferable to Sony 600. If you already own a Sony 600, I don't think it's necessary to upgrade to Sony 900.
It's not a quantum leap, it's a solid progress.

In addition to the screen quality, I prefer the menu structure as well. For example, you can sort by last read and (due to the larger screen) directly can access the last read and the latest additions. But again: No quantum leap, but a slight improvement.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
/NON 900 owner rant

To me a touch screen brings nothing to the table, except less clarity of the text. Why don't they make a non-touchscreen version? I know the touchscreen is a new must have gimmick, but I wish they would give people a choice.

I love my PRS-300, but is it the last non-touchscreen reader?

/end NON 900 owner rant
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
/NON 900 owner rant

To me a touch screen brings nothing to the table, except less clarity of the text. Why don't they make a non-touchscreen version? I know the touchscreen is a new must have gimmick, but I wish they would give people a choice.

/end NON 900 owner rant
well, i'm a future 900 owner...and i wouldn't mind no touchscreen, maybe a 905 to get everything the 900 does with the 505 screen (bigger though)....anyways i always have to have the latest greatest so i'm sure i can adapt to whatever glare the screen has.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 11:24 PM   #6
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Touchscreens do allow for a more extensive UI that can break from the '1-10' menu mold (or gets around slow navigation like the nook or similar).

The catch is that you gotta do it right. And it is possible to do it, Sony's priorities of the screen being both finger and stylus friendly have limited their options until very recently (basically after the hardware for the 600/900 got locked down).
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:13 AM   #7
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
Touchscreens do allow for a more extensive UI that can break from the '1-10' menu mold (or gets around slow navigation like the nook or similar).

The catch is that you gotta do it right. And it is possible to do it, Sony's priorities of the screen being both finger and stylus friendly have limited their options until very recently (basically after the hardware for the 600/900 got locked down).
I certainly agree with your first paragraph, but am very curious a bout your second paragraph. Do you have some intel to support
Quote:
Sony's priorities of the screen being both finger and stylus friendly have limited their options until very recently (basically after the hardware for the 600/900 got locked down)
This may be true, but I haven't read that referenced before.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
jbloudg20
Connoisseur
jbloudg20 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900 & K2i
Quote:
/NON 900 owner rant

/end NON 900 owner rant
What you must understand, is just because you have no use for a touchscreen, doesn't mean it brings nothing to the table. I, for one, will not own a non-touch screen reader. My uses dictate the need for it.
jbloudg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
For me, the key feature of the PRS-600 is the "free-hand" annotation on the screen, which I use to "mark up" my books as I'm proof-reading them. That absolutely requires a touch-screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
/NON 900 owner rant

/end NON 900 owner rant
I'm looking forward to the touch screen more from a convenience factor than anything else. Admittedly I have not owned any eReader previously so the only basis for comparison is several cell phones. I find being able to navigate by touch much easier and faster than having to press the buttons to get around. This should, in my opinion, make thing like dictionary look ups easier, annotations (with or without the stylus), and other things easier and faster.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #11
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
The touch screen advantage for me is the dictionary use. Modern novels don't stretch one's vocabulary much, but novels from the 1800's do sometimes. In this the dictionary is helpful. I would love to get to a point where I could get a Spanish=English dictionary so that I could read books in Spanish once in a while.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:03 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
The touch screen advantage for me is the dictionary use. Modern novels don't stretch one's vocabulary much, but novels from the 1800's do sometimes. In this the dictionary is helpful. I would love to get to a point where I could get a Spanish=English dictionary so that I could read books in Spanish once in a while.
You can have dictionary lookup without a touch screen, though - numerous devices do (eg CyBook Gen3, Pocketbook 360, Kindle). The touch screen is certainly a much more "direct" interface for dictionary lookup, though.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #13
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I certainly agree with your first paragraph, but am very curious a bout your second paragraph. Do you have some intel to support

This may be true, but I haven't read that referenced before.
It's an educated guess based on one assumption and the data at hand: Sony isn't completely incompetent.

The 300/600/900 line was put into development quite awhile ago, and they had to lock down the hardware design a ways back to get it out in time for the holidays. I'd wager that the 600 and 900 were locked down at about the same time, and the extra software work and agreements for the 3G connectivity is what held up the 900 and prevented them from ramping up production and launching sooner.

So this means that for touch technology, Sony is going for something that can be used in the 6-7" range.

Wacom tech has already been vetted as usable on EPDs by iRex, so why not use it? It cannot respond to finger touch, something that the Sony UI is built around (you can do pretty much anything without the stylus). And I'd wager Sony is probably right here, a UI that is friendly to the user who doesn't want to get out a fiddly bit of plastic to navigate is one that is friendly to both types of people.

Capacitive tech has been shown to be finger friendly, so why not that? Well, a couple of reasons: It is like the finger version of the Wacom tech. It doesn't respond to most stylus designs meaning that some operations on an e-reader that are easier with a stylus (highlighting, scribbling) aren't guaranteed to work well. Look at the iPhone and the lengths it goes to, in order to offer certain functionality that would have been absurdly easy with a stylus. Some of that trickery isn't possible on EPD screens that can ship in devices right now. Now, there are stylus designs appearing that seem to work, but it's a bit up in the air how well they work, and how bulky they need to be, and I don't believe Sony had the time to fully investigate this before the hardware design was locked down. We're just now seeing capacitive screens show up in demos at CES, which I think is a good hint that backs this idea up.

That just leaves resistive, that Sony uses. It responds to touch from both a stylus and a finger, so it side-steps the issues of touch interactions on an EPD display, and doesn't require that you must use the fiddly piece of plastic. It let's you reduce the number of buttons on the device to a bare minimum of standard options that you don't want to clutter up the screen with. It just has a drawback: it affects screen clarity in low-light situations.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote