Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #46
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
Just saw another in another thread an explanation of authorising the Reader for purchased books given by Bremen Cole, so I just copied and pasted this into the wiki for now.

It might need tidying up a bit if someone else gets round to doing that before I get a chance, but figured I'd stick the info in there anyway whilst I had a spare moment.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #47
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Just a suggestion - a lot of people I know who have just acquired Sony Readers have been looking for the manuals. It might be helpful to explain how to find them.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #48
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I actually posted something about manuals some time before in this thread
There's a lot of information in here, but it's really disorganized.

Another very useful piece of information posted by Jim Lester here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...50&postcount=2, I repeat it for easy reference:

How to deauthorize your reader with ADE

Quote:
In ADE with the reader attached (and showing up in ADE), press the magic key incantation: Ctrl-Shift-E, and the deactivation dialog should show up.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #49
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Another very useful piece of information posted by Jim Lester here.... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...50&postcount=2
How to deauthorize your reader with ADE
But if you include it please include the warnings that I also put in that thread (and others):

You should only do this if so instructed by Sony or Adobe Support, or you are (permanently) giving the device to someone else.

Deauthorizing does NOT give you any activations back, it just removes the information from the device. So if you just through a cycle of deauth/reauth the device 6 times you will end up with the dreaded E_ACT_TOO_MANY_ACTIVATIONS error, with a Sony support call, or a Adobe Web support needed to fix it.

Last edited by Jim Lester; 01-19-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:27 PM   #50
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Thanks Jim!
So does that mean that we are allowed the activation of 6 different devices ever, instead of 6 different devices at any given time?
And to clarify it once and for all, is it 6 readers and 6 computers? Many people keep asking about that.
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #51
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Computer activations are tracked separately from device activations and you get 6 of each to start with.

And it's not ever, as I explained in the post I linked to above and here (and I think someplace else but I've lost the link, as well as here now ), your activation count increases slowly over time to account for replacement.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #52
omk3
Wizard

Thanks! Clear and helpful as ever!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #53
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
My new problem.
I've read about it here but for the life of me I can't find the post

I have downloaded a few books from the local library and all was OK till I downloaded an epub along with a PDF. I can't read both at once. I have to delete and reload one or the other in order to read either one.

Is there a fix for this, a work around.
If not, this bug should be added to your guide.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #54
omk3
Wizard

It is added, in the "borrowing library books" section. Do not load pdf and epub library books on your reader at the same time.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #55
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
Quote:
It is added, in the "borrowing library books" section. Do not load pdf and epub library books on your reader at the same time.
So there is no fix or a hint of a fix from ADOBE or whomever?

Thanks
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:57 PM   #56
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
There is no fix from Sony or Adobe at the moment.

If you load two or more books from the public library, make sure they are all pdf OR all ePub.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
So there is no fix or a hint of a fix from ADOBE or whomever?

Thanks
The only workaround at the moment is "don't do it", unfortunately.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #58
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
My new problem.
I've read about it here but for the life of me I can't find the post

I have downloaded a few books from the local library and all was OK till I downloaded an epub along with a PDF. I can't read both at once. I have to delete and reload one or the other in order to read either one.

Is there a fix for this, a work around.
If not, this bug should be added to your guide.
Quote:
From Sony eSupport:
A Protected Page! error occurs on the Reader when opening a borrowed book that is in the ePub or PDF format.
Quote:
Solution:

This may happen when borrowed Adobe DRM-protected ePub and PDF eBooks exist on the Reader at the same time. Follow this procedure to correct this issue:
  1. Delete all borrowed books from the Reader.
  2. Verify that all borrowed books are in the same format (either ePub or PDF) before transferring them back to the Reader.

I've updated the wiki Sony Reader Troubleshooting Guide with the error given and the steps to correct the error and the source of the (hopefully temporary) solution.

[moderator note - the information can be found in the MobileRead wiki here also in a sticky in the Sony forum here. The new wiki page name is "Sony Reader Start-Up and Reset Guide"]

Last edited by dreams; 12-27-2010 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Added mod note to wiki page / Last edited by Wetdogeared; 01-20-2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Added solution
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:38 PM   #59
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
Again thanks very much - can any one with an Apple chip in pretty please?

For example, I'm running Leopard, 10.5, and if I wanted to use the library software would that be supported? I read somewhere its Snow Leopard (10.6) and above only......
and Adobe with Apple? i understand I'd prob need to connect the reader to a PC to 'associate it' with the Adobe account and then I can go back to the Mac, but after that Adobe is good to go with Apple and Sony?

And, finally, sorry (!), does the reader software run automatically on a Mac and if soooo, how to disable it? Or if the software isn't supported by Leopard, perhaps that's not an issue.

Many thanks

Thanks
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #60
markbond1007
Connoisseur
markbond1007 doesn't littermarkbond1007 doesn't litter

Device: CyBook Gen3, Sony PRS-600
Well Im running the reader software on OSX 10.4 so it runs at least there.

Also points to note (I havent actually got any drm'd epubs/pdf's so cant test if it actually works), the reader on the Mac doesnt appear in ADE, however if you do an "About" on the reader software you get your ADE account listed, plus the reader software itself tells you its got ADE Mobile, so I'm assuming the reader software and ADE are the bits that are connected some how, rather the the device itself.

And yes it does run automatically, and no I have no idea how to turn it off at the moment, none of the usual methods are showing the software up for turning off.

Mark
markbond1007 is offline   Reply With Quote