Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Other Books

Notices

Old 03-31-2008, 02:46 AM   #1
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Sears, George W.: Forest Runes. v1.0 Mar 2008

Forest Runes by George W. Sears (Nessmuk).

In Forest Runes, Nessmuk shows that he is not just the rugged outdoorsman who wrote Woodcraft. This collection of his poetry ranges from the delightfully witty ("That Trout" and "Crusading The Old Saloon"), to the hauntingly somber ("A Little Grave" and "The Scalp Hunter Is Interviewed"). Nessmuk also has much to say about the social ills of his time ("Pauper Plaint" and "Lines For The Times") and his love of the outdoors ("Sunrise In The Forest" and "Mickle Run Falls"). Some poems will not appeal to some readers, but there is much in this collection that is on a par with the better known poets.

As a first cut at an ebook version of Forest Runes, I am posting a PDF, which is based on my HTML web version. I know that PDF is not popular for reading on many ebook devices due to non-flowability. I agree with these sentiments. The reason that I am posting this version is that the poetry displays better in a PDF, where the structure is enforced.

This is the first time that I have created a PDF ebook and I would welcome feedback. I don't have fancy tools like Acrobat or PageMaker. I used MS Word for editing, printed to a PDF via PDF Creator, and then created the bookmarks manually with PDF MetaEdit. Not the easiest method, but these are the tools that I have.

I will be working on creating other ebook versions of Forest Runes, in addition to this PDF. I am still wrestling with the problems caused by the constraints of each ebook format. Trying to display poetry properly in an ebook is much harder than prose. Woodcraft did not require nearly this much effort.

In any case, I hope that some of you find Forest Runes enjoyable. I know I did.

Edit: So that I don't have to maintain two copies of this ebook on different servers, I have removed the attachment. Please go to my home page www.zianet.com/jgray/index.html for the PDF file. Eventually, you will also find other ebook formats there as well.

Last edited by jgray; 04-03-2008 at 07:43 AM. Reason: grammar
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote