Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-24-2004, 03:15 PM   #76
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Ok, I couldn't find anything particular wrong with the processes on your machine.

However, I suggest you remove the MDM.EXE Machine Debug Manager, which you probably won't need and which was reported to cause problems: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;321410

Also, try to remove or at least stop the CTFMON.EXE process. Another process that most people don't need and that is bug-fested: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;282599

I assume the Silitek processes are part of the drivers of a USB keyboard or something like that. So that's fine.

Does the Taskmanager start when you enter 'taskmgr' in the command prompt? Perhaps you should try to disable some services like the Symantec Virus checker and see if it makes any difference.

Greets
Alex
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 02:36 AM   #77
Unregistered
Nameless Being

Talking alternate solution, disable execute permission

Find the stupid file and take away the execute permission from all the users. It's not as thorough as a full reg flush but a heck of a lot easier and safer.

And I'm all for lazy, I mean easy.

If you don't know how to mess with the permissions, well, I'm too lazy to write it.

Cheers

Saben
Advert
Old 05-26-2004, 11:20 PM   #78
Unregistered
Nameless Being

Journal Viewer wants to stay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Uninstall the Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer (It is one of the Windows Updates, but it is listed in your Add/Remove Programs list). (snip).
I just tried to remove Windows Journal Viewer, but am told that I do not have the right to do so. Help?
(Win 2K, single user, and I log in as administrator)

(Sorry if this is a stupid question)
Old 05-27-2004, 04:00 AM   #79
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Instead of removing the Journal Viewer, have you tried to only run this script:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=14
Old 06-16-2004, 03:16 PM   #80
Jimmy_M
Jimmy_M began at the beginning.

A more general solution to problems like this is to use windows file security to lock down the offending file.

I have also used this in one job when some fool in IT insisted that we have some garbage "management" software on our systems. You'd kill the processes, remove the directory, and next login it was back, worse than a virus.

Right click on the file / folder in question, select properties, and hit up the security tab. This tab isn't present by default on XP Home, yet another classic MS bugger up. Go to http://www.tweakxp.com/displayf.aspx?id=11654 and follow instructions to get this tab to show.

Uncheck the "allow inheritable permissions" checkbox, and then for all users / groups shown, deny everything. For good measure, I add an entry for "Everyone" and deny all on that. Hit OK, the system will bitch at you that you've prevented everyone from accessing the file (duh!), tell it that it's OK, and you're hot to go.
Jimmy_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2004, 04:23 PM   #81
Unregistered
Nameless Being

Smile Wisptis

** Seems like in my system the mentioned keys starting w/ "7040..." were "9040...", so please verify your systems.

But the solutions you guys found are fantastic!!!

You guys Rock
Old 08-15-2004, 06:46 PM   #82
Unregistered
Nameless Being

This thread was viewed over 90'000 times!!!Incredible... so many people are annoying by one little MS process
Old 08-16-2004, 04:54 AM   #83
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
This thread was viewed over 90'000 times!!!Incredible... so many people are annoying by one little MS process
Wish you could make that into 90'000 posts Patience, Alex, patience...
Old 09-05-2004, 11:53 AM   #84
Unregistered
Nameless Being

thanks

Thanks alex for putting together that inf...
Old 10-09-2004, 07:51 AM   #85
Unregistered
Nameless Being

Easy fix for any combination of acrobat/microsoft office/etc

All you geniuses couldnt figure out the simple way to kill it Go to C:\windows\system32 and rename wisptis.exe to wisptis.bak. Then create a new empty text file in the same location. Name the text file wisptis.exe.

This means that any time something tries to run wisptis.exe it'll actually execute a 0 byte text file. Notepad wont actually open, and no unwanted programs will remain running, so dont worry about that.

Benefit 1: if you actually find you do need wisptis.exe (if you decide to buy a palmtop or whatever) all youve got to do is rename wisptis.bak to wisptis.exe again.

Benefit 2: you dont need to mess with your registry, and you dont need to run files that do it for you (you may not trust a file from a complete stranger when its deleting parts of your registry).

Benefit 3: Things change. In the next acrobat/microsoft office/etc the registry keys may change location. This means youll need a new file to modify your registry depending on what versions of this crap youve got installed. My method should work no matter what versions youre running.

Side note 1: I have no idea if windows file protection / system restore will attempt to fix it on some computers. I turn most of that garbage off, but file protection is on and caused me no problems.

Side note 2: make sure youve got "show extensions for known file types" turned on, or youll have accidentally have created wisptis.exe.txt instead, and that wont work.

Side note 3: you must create the empty text file. Deleting or renaming wisptis.exe alone will make things try to reinstall themselves when you run them.

Dont try to contact me, i'll likely forget that i posted this here. So no, i can't offer tech support. Feel free to put this advice on any forum you like and share it however you like, but give me (Mark W) the credit for the info.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:59 AM   #86
Unregistered
Nameless Being

... there is nothing new about your suggestiong; in fact it was already suggested on page 2 of this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...?t=1260&page=2

The catch is though even if you create an empty text file, Wisptis is likely to return the next time you run Adobe Acrobat, either because of Windows File Protection (WFP) or because of Windows' prefetch mechanism. And I would strongly recommend AGAINST turning off either of the two features.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:48 AM   #87
MoeRL
MoeRL began at the beginning.

I just registered here.. looks like an excellent forum .

I love the forum script.. looks very good, and the features are sweet . The site is also extraordinarily fast to navigate, seems like this is on some good hosting

Anyway, I read the whole thread, but there have been so many suggestions and counter-suggestions and additions and different methods that all reading the whole thread did is to confuse me. What is the ultimate solution to getting rid of wisptis.exe now?
Thanks in advance
MoeRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 03:37 AM   #88
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Welcome onboard MoeRL! Glad you enjoy it here

I come back to you in a couple of hours, when I have some more time!

Cheers
Old 10-25-2004, 03:51 AM   #89
Unregistered
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
Welcome onboard MoeRL! Glad you enjoy it here

I come back to you in a couple of hours, when I have some more time!

Cheers
I appreciate the quick update . See ya then, take your time.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:53 AM   #90
MoeRL
MoeRL began at the beginning.

Dammit.. sorry, that was me. Forgot to log in

I have the page "cookied" in Opera, but now I'm here with FireFox and forgot I hadn't logged in before with FF . Here we go
MoeRL is offline   Reply With Quote