Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-22-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
drazvan
drazvan is on a distinguished road

iLiad and 3G wireless modem

Hello everyone,

I have just managed to "convince" my Vodafone Smartmodem (a 3G/HSDPA wireless modem on Vodafone Romania) to talk to the iLiad via USB serial (the usbserial module - see the other thread in this section of the forum). The modem appears to work fine (I can connect to it, send it AT commands, etc). I've also compiled the PPPD package and the kernel PPP modules, tomorrow I will try to make it connect via PPP. If that works, I'll publish the entire procedure and the necessary modules here.

As a teaser, I'm attaching a photo of the iLiad hooked up to the Vodafone modem. Looks like an alien contraption but it works .

R.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_vodafone_smartmodem.jpg
Views:	2089
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	3269  
drazvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:42 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by drazvan
Hello everyone,

I have just managed to "convince" my Vodafone Smartmodem (a 3G/HSDPA wireless modem on Vodafone Romania) to talk to the iLiad via USB serial (the usbserial module - see the other thread in this section of the forum). The modem appears to work fine (I can connect to it, send it AT commands, etc). I've also compiled the PPPD package and the kernel PPP modules, tomorrow I will try to make it connect via PPP. If that works, I'll publish the entire procedure and the necessary modules here.

As a teaser, I'm attaching a photo of the iLiad hooked up to the Vodafone modem. Looks like an alien contraption but it works .

R.
Wicked!! Please keep us updated, I cannot wait to see how you did it!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
drazvan
drazvan is on a distinguished road

And it works! Downloading at 1Mbps wirelessly with no WiFi in sight is very nice .

Here's how you can make it work (provided that you have a Vodafone Smartmodem - it can probably be adapter for other devices too).

1. Get the attached file and unzip it to your SD or MMC card (it has hardcoded paths to /media/card/ , so if you want to use a compact flash card make sure you change all references from /media/card to /media/cf).

2. Open a SSH session or start the mrxvt terminal and issue the following commands (my comments start with #, ignore them when you type)

----------
cd /media/card/ppp/

# this is needed for the huaweiAktBbo application to find the libusb library
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/media/card/ppp/

insmod ./usbserial.o
insmod ./slhc.o
insmod ./ppp_generic.o
insmod ./ppp_async.o
insmod ./ppp_deflate.o
insmod ./bsd_comp.o

# this one is probably not needed but what the heck ...
insmod ./ppp_synctty.o

# connect the modem to the device if you haven't done so already
./huaweiAktBbo
# some mumbo jumbo in Slovak will be displayed - this is some code I found on the Internet and recompiled for the iLiad. It makes the modem switch from "USB storage" mode to "modem" mode (the modem also contains an USB storage part with the Windows drivers and Linux normally detects only that part, not the modem).

# and now the final step
sbin/pppd file vodafone

----------------------------------------

After the connection is established, you can do "route del default; route add default dev ppp0" and go on the Net through your new wireless connection . The usbserial module has been recompiled to allow for higher speeds (the "maxSize" patch). I've managed to download at around 1Mbps with it.

Obviously, if you're not in Romania you would need to change the "vodafone" file that contains the username/password to access the internet APN and the "vodafone-init.chat" file that contains the name of the APN to use.

If someone feels like packaging this nicely for general use, go right ahead! I would try to do this myself but I have a very busy week ahead of me so it will probably take me a while.

Anyway, have fun! I can't wait to test web browsing on the go in the bus .

Razvan
Attached Files
File Type: zip vodafone-iliad-ppp.zip (738.5 KB, 1062 views)

Last edited by drazvan; 04-23-2007 at 04:26 PM.
drazvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
passerida
passerida began at the beginning.

Device: I-mate K-Jam
Linux connection?

Hello,

Thanks a bunch for the valuable info. Do you (or someone else) have any experience on establishing Internet connection using the SmartModem you have mentioned with another device running Linux OS?

This info is very important for me any kind of help is highly appreciated..

PSR

Last edited by passerida; 05-29-2007 at 10:23 AM.
passerida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
If you are in Seattle, WA USA this script will get your iLiad onto the free 3G network they provide via WiFi on some of the Metro busses here.

Code:
wireless.sh start KingCountyMetro
So if you are able to get USB Serial working then iRex must have finally compiled in TTY support? Might be time to go hack the Bluetooth stack again!
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:50 AM   #6
mrhunt
mrhunt began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Has anybody else got this working. I get an error message 'Failed to open /dev/ttyUSB0: No such device' when starting pppd.
mrhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
grisha
grisha began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Is it possible to have a script that runs all the commands automatically?
So just a single file you can click on in the Iliad menu?
grisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:07 AM   #8
AndrewKlim
AndrewKlim began at the beginning.

Device: none
iLiad and 3G wireless modem

hi
Thanks a bunch for the valuable info. Do you (or someone else) have any experience on establishing Internet connection using the SmartModem you have mentioned with another device running Linux OS?

www.staffingpower.com

sentersoftech.
AndrewKlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:33 AM   #9
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Wow. In spite of this thread being resurrected by spam, I find the OP highly cool. I had no idea that someone had done this once.

This leads me to an obvious mod proposal: internal USB 3G card + feedbooks app = iLiad with Kindle functionality. Win!
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:06 PM   #10
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post
This leads me to an obvious mod proposal: internal USB 3G card + feedbooks app = iLiad with Kindle functionality. Win!
Some time ago I looked up some internals of the device and found out that the WLAN board's manufacturer also offered a card with Bluetooth + WiFi on board. It has the same form factor as the builtin WiFi chip. This made me kind of angry: Why didn't iRex spend like $20 more and went for the one with Bluetooth on chip? This would have extended the iLiad's functionality by far... Oh, btw that would be a cool hardware mod too :-)

Edit: The Huawei E169 is an UMTS USB stick that would possibly fit inside the iLiads cover. I found
some pics from another guy who soldered that one into his netbook... Should I give it a try and buy one? Don't know...

Last edited by -Thomas-; 02-14-2009 at 09:29 PM.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #11
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Just for your info, my USB UMTS stick (Huawei E169) will arrive tomorrow, and I plan to integrate Web access through connectionMgr. The necessary basics are already available, I will modify the dialup procedure mainly used for CF modems (which is done in /usr/bin/dialup.sh or so). This should be the easiest way to enable usual Web access as well as things like automatic downloaders.

If that works I will check whether the stick fits inside the device's backplane

And if that works I will have a Kindle that is not as fugly as the original one
Old 02-22-2009, 07:45 AM   #12
-Thomas-
Addict

To run in danger of boring you, but I received my stick and got it working with iLiad's connectionMgr. It now syncs flawlessly over the air, so I'm able to update News feeds etc. over a UMTS connection. Expect some file releases at the end of the week

The stick draws about 40 mA at 5V (=200mW) when it's offline. Compared to the 300mW (78mA * 3.7V) the iLiad draws when it's idle, this is quiet high. Total battery time would be reduced to ~6 hours when you always have your stick connected. That's the reason why I won't install the stick behind iLiad's backplane... I'll leave that exercise to someone else
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	24135  

Last edited by -Thomas-; 02-22-2009 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Picture added
Old 02-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #13
rastaman61
rastaman61 began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Thomas- View Post
To run in danger of boring you, but I received my stick and got it working with iLiad's connectionMgr. It now syncs flawlessly over the air, so I'm able to update News feeds etc. over a UMTS connection. Expect some file releases at the end of the week
This really would be great! I hope it will also be possible to install the files for a LINUX-NOOB like me.
rastaman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:29 AM   #14
-Thomas-
Addict

I'll try to make it as one-click-installable as possible, but nonetheless some configuration will be necessary. There are settings that differ depending on your network provider (username, APN) and your UMTS stick (PIN of your sim card, device type etc.). But I hope these settings will be done in a single file only, so it should be quiet easy.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #15
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Thomas- View Post
Cool! Nice pen too
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote