Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
MatureMomG
MatureMomG began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Save Word as ?

I've used Calibre some (not a total newbie with it). I have a MS Mord (2010) doc novel. I've gotten it converted to an Epub file for my Nook. But it wasn't "perfect". I've cleaned it up, removed a lot of the Word formatting, etc. Now I am trying to get it into a perfect EPub format for Nook users.
There is no Table of Contents, the only graphics/images are front and back covers (which I can leave off if need be).
Calibre says save as Web Page, Filtered. I did that, then Calibre would not recognize it when I tried to add it to convert. Another suggestion they had was to save as an Open Doc text. I did that, Calibre woudln't recognize it. (The first shows on my computer as a FireFox html doc (htm), the second as an .odt file.
Savings as a Single Web page or Web Page also gets me no where.
I have the most current Calibre.

Best luck I have had so far was saving as a PDF file (which Calibre recommends NOT doing). But there are a few glitches with that.
If it would be helpful, I can get you access to the converted PDF file to an Epub format.

Advice/ suggestions? My goal is to have a very high quality formatted output ebook, starting with a Word doc.
MatureMomG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you already have a decent ePub version of the book, why not use the (free) Sigil ePub editor to complete the tidying up?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
MatureMomG

Because I never heard of it- I will look into it. Thanks! I also just started today figuring out Mobi. Downloaded Kindle for PC, converted the file (via Calibre) to a Mobi file. quick look is okay, but it changed things. I used First line indent instead of tabs for indenting paragraphs in the word doc. Comes out fine in an epub file. The mobi file took that back to no indents and a line spacing instead. Is there a similar version of Sigil for mobi files before I spend all kinds of time messing with that?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatureMomG View Post
Because I never heard of it- I will look into it. Thanks! I also just started today figuring out Mobi. Downloaded Kindle for PC, converted the file (via Calibre) to a Mobi file. quick look is okay, but it changed things. I used First line indent instead of tabs for indenting paragraphs in the word doc. Comes out fine in an epub file. The mobi file took that back to no indents and a line spacing instead. Is there a similar version of Sigil for mobi files before I spend all kinds of time messing with that?
Sigil is for EPUB only
BTW Sigil is just 1 forum down)

Mobi has its rules and limitations (you can see discussion on those in the Mobi forum ).
Not everything that can be done in EPUB , translates (Which is why EPUB is a great format: always start with Highest quality format)

That said, Calibre has LOTS of conversion settings that affect what you get. Some are in 'common options', some in (select Mobi) output options

Remember: Changes made in Preferences apply ONLY to new book conversions. If the book has been already converted, it will use whatever was in effect at that time UNLESS you click (tick) the 'Restore Defaults' button on the (starting) conversion screen
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You might want to look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142530. I haven't used it, but from the discussion I have seen it does a good job of producing clean HTML to create an epub from.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
MatureMomG

thanks, folks. Got, and did a great mobi conversion with Mobipocketcreator.