Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
The Humble eBook Bundle: 6 eBooks, Pay What You Want

The folks behind the popular Humble Indie Bundles have come out with an ebook version. Pay what you want for 6 ebooks, with a decent amount of it going to charities (Child's Play, Electronic Frontier Foundation, and the Science Fiction Writers of North America [a non-profit advocacy group]). Pay more than the average (currently $9.94 US) and recieve 2 more ebooks:

Cory Doctorow - "Pirate Cinema"
Paolo Bacigalupi - "Pump Six" (short story collection)
Lauren Beukes - "Zoo City"
Mercedes Lackey - "Invasion" (book one of ''The Secret World Chronicle'')
Kelly Link - "Stranger Things Happen" (short story collection)
Kelly Link - "Magic for Beginners" (short story collection)

...plus Neil Gaiman & Dave McKean's "Signal to Noise" graphic novel and John Scalzi's "Old Man’s War" for beating the average.

Go give it a look at https://www.humblebundle.com/ - and remember, it's also for charity, so please be generous if you decide to get it! (anything under about $1 will actually *cost* them money, so don't be a jerk, 'kay?)

EDIT: Oh, and the books are *DRM-free*. Humble never puts DRM on their offerings. Just remember to save the URL they send you as it is the key to your version of the download page in case you ever need to redownload.

EDIT 2: The Humble eBook Bundle will be up for the next two weeks, until October 23rd.

EDIT 3: And the first (and hopefully not last!) Humble eBook Bundle is now closed.

Final total: $1,201,961.57 on 84,165 sales, for an average purchase of $14.28. Good job, folks, as this is the highst average of any Bundle they've done.

(Mods may now close the thread, if they feel like it :P)

Last edited by JD Gumby; 10-23-2012 at 07:20 PM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Just got the email and was going to post, but you beat me to it. Nice to see this sort of thing taking off. It's interesting that both StoryBundle and Humble both used SciFi/Fantasy as their first bundles. I see Humble actually managed to get a couple of bigger name authors. I'll probably be buying it when I get paid on the 15th.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Got the mail too. Apparently people are generous, the average is rising very quickly ($10.35 at 3500 bundles sold). If you want all the books and want to be cheap, you should probably buy early.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
If only I didn't actually have all of these, already.... except maybe the graphic novel.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I think this is an extremely positive PR opportunity for the authors in question no matter how little they actually get per sold bundle, in that they suddenly gets exposed to thousands of new people (8104 as of this writing).
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
TheLongshot
Groupie
TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Unfortunately, I already own three of them.
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
Unfortunately, I already own three of them.
Buy the other three for a $1 then, or half whatever you would have considered paying. Granted you won't hit the avg to get the other two books without paying over the odds for just 3 books compared to everyone else, but you can still snag the 3 you don't have
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Buy the other three for a $1 then, or half whatever you would have considered paying. Granted you won't hit the avg to get the other two books without paying over the odds for just 3 books compared to everyone else, but you can still snag the 3 you don't have
Just to add, if you wish to, you can click the little arrow next to "Authors" on the part of the page where you choose how to break down your chosen amount, and set it so that all your money goes to those authors whose books you hadn't already owned in the past. You don't have to, but the option's there.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I was on an 8 month streak of not buying any new books... but I can't say no to humble bundle. I always get their game bundles... and the second I got the email, I just knew I would get it, regardless of what the books were.

And now that I've seen the books, I'm twice as glad to have purchased it!
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Wow! Someone gave $1000 for the bundle. No wonder the average is so high.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
Matriarch
Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
The word "charity" always makes me spend more than I can afford... Can't complain about 8 new books, though!
Matriarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #12
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Humble Bundle eBooks, including books by Doctrow, Scalzi, Gaiman, and Lackey

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Saw this on GearDiary today. Six eBooks by Cory Doctrow, Mercedes Lackey, Kelly Link, Paulo Bacigalupi and Lauren Beukes. If you beat the minimum price, you also get Signal-to-Noise by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean, along with "Old Man's War" by John Scalzi.

Very sweet deal. I'm surprised I didn't already see a post in the news forums about it. In PDF, ePub,and Mobi format too.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #13
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
I'm surprised I didn't already see a post in the news forums about it.
Maybe because it isn't news? There is already a thread in the Deals forum: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193359
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #14
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Maybe because it isn't news? There is already a thread in the Deals forum: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193359
Nevermind in that case. Still jumped on the deal, though.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #15
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I own three of the books, but I'm going to purchase anyway.

Why? Because I think this sort of thing needs to be encouraged and authors need to see that this is a worthwhile thing to do. $3 a piece for the six main books is less than $20 and as that's more than the current average, I pick up the extra two.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote