Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-23-2005, 10:53 PM   #1
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Thumbs up [Apple]Java Embedding Plugin 0.9.2: Force java to run in browsers other than Safari

Have you ever tried to enter Yahoo! chat or Yahoo! games in Firefox for Mac? Do you hit a brick wall and cannot chat or play games? Well your answer is Java Embedding Plugin. I have been using this since I found it on MacUpdate and it is great to not have to switch to Safari in order to play games or chat. It works...it really, really works. Give it a try.

From MacUpdate:

Quote:
Java Embedding Plugin 0.9.2:

The Java Embedding Plugin is a utility (currently in beta release) that allows other web browsers than Apple's Safari to use the most recent versions of Java (1.4.X) on Mac OS X. Currently it supports recent versions of the Mozilla "family" of browsers, when used together with an updated version of Mozilla's MRJ Plugin Carbon (included in this distribution). But in principle any web browser could use one of the Java Embedding Plugin's two APIs to add support for Java 1.4.X.

The current versions of the Java Embedding Plugin and the updated MRJ Plugin Carbon have been tested with Mozilla 1.6 and 1.7.X, Firefox 0.8 and 0.9.X, and Camino 0.7 and 0.8.X on OS X 10.2.8 with Java 1.4.1 and OS X 10.3.5 with Java 1.4.2 Update 1 and Java 1.4.2 Update 2.

The current version (0.8.6) of the Java Embedding Plugin has not been tested with Java 1.4.2 "plain" or on Mac OS X 10.3.3 or 10.3.4. But previous versions of the JEP (e.g. 0.8.2) worked in these environments, and so (I believe) should version 0.8.6.

Apple's Java 1.4.2 and above have one additional requirement, unrelated to the Java Embedding Plugin -- an appropriate version of the JavaPluginCocoa.bundle must be present in the /Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder.

What's New:
Version 0.9.2:

* Fixed a major security hole in the MRJ Plugin that effects all nightlies, alphas and betas of Mozilla-family browsers issued since 2004-04-25, but none of the "released" versions. So, for example, Firefox 1.0.X, Mozilla 1.7.X and Camino 0.8.X aren't vulnerable. In browsers effected by this hole, potentially all security checks are disabled when doing JavaScript-to-Java LiveConnect. Users of vulnerable browsers should upgrade as soon as possible.
* Cleaned up some problems with a bugfix (for Camino's "spurious updates" bug) included in the previous version (0.9.1) of the Java Embedding Plugin.
* A few other minor fixes.

Requirements:
Mac OS X 10.2.8 or later.
Download from here.
Zire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:22 PM   #2
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Personally I don't even see a reason to use anything but Safari on my Mac.

It renders pages quite beautifully, and has tabs, popup blocking, and the ability to use a custom CSS stylesheet (i.e. adblocking one ).

Firefox seems quite unpolished on the Mac, and, indeed, slower. Camino isn't bad, but it still suffers from a bit of a speed problem, from my experience.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:38 AM   #3
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
I agree with the criticisms of Firefox but in my case it's a matter of being so accustomed to the interface. I routinely run the three major platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux) and it's great to be able to use the same browser on all my machines. Also I love my extensions. Forecastfox for weather, del.icio.us plugin for my http://del.icio.us bookmarks, adblock, flashblock etc.

Personally if I could run Safari on all three I probably would. It really is a great browser.

So I've bookmarked (or del.icio.us'd) the embedded java link and will try it at home.

Thanks!
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:45 PM   #4
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
It works and I love firefox because of the extensions. Using adblock, foxytunes, and fireftp. I recommend all three extensions...foxytunes allows you to control any music player from the task bar. I use it on my mac with itunes all the time and it works great! I just hate to have to have too many programs open on my mac at a time and embedding java into firefox prevents me from having to open safari. I just think it's a cool idea. To all their own.
Zire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:12 PM   #5
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by zire71man
To all their own.
Oh, certainly. I'm simply voicing my own opinion on Safari for my Mac. Firefox is what I use on my old desktop, after all. I don't play around much with extensions. For the majority of what I do, I need something that works, is secure, and blocks popups. Even using the CSS adblocking is just a bonus for me. I simply find Safari fast and simple.

And for things like iTunes, if you have/ever get Tiger, there are some quite neat widgets for it. iTunes, iChat (which supports Jabber in 10.4, by the way), iCal, and some random fun ones (I have a countdown to the end of school in my Dashboard right now... :P)
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote