Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
CalgaryToad
CalgaryToad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Arrow Kindle 3: Downloaded news has [?] in some of the articals?

Hello Mobileread - Calibre users.

Let me first off say, thank you! Thank you for making this program, thank you to being awesome... I love this program and I love waking up in the morning to the Calgary Herald on my Kindle 3 wifi.

One problem I have been bumping into is, that some of my scheduled news articles are showing up with [?] symbols in them. Usually a pair of them side by side like this [?][?] and usually with an â in front of it ie... a sentence might read.

"But people who have experience depression in the past often ask, â[?][?]what can I do to help prevent this from happening again?â[?][?]

This can happen 15 times on one page, making it hard to read. I am thinking formatting issue but I have just not been able to hammer it out.

Any ideas? Anyone else seeing this?

I thank you all in advance!
CalgaryToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I just committed a possible fix, try it again and see.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:29 AM   #3
CalgaryToad

It was 90% Better today, only one article in whole paper suffered from this, I will update you again if I see them more then 2 or three times.

Thank you again Kovid your program is fantastic.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
CalgaryToad

Update, it is back and considerably worse, the first article of today's (31'st) Calgary Heard is loaded with the â[?][?].

I count 12 instances of it in the first article about the Egypt uprising.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I tried it right now and didn't see any problems (but then the egypt uprising article was no longer included). I suspect that there are just some cases where the website has different encodings for specific articles, a situation calibre cannot handle, you'll just have to live with it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
CalgaryToad

Ok thanks! Just figured I would ask, I can not complain about free news paper!
Even though I do have a free subscription to the online vr. of this paper... but it is way easier to read on my kindle.

Thanks again, keep up the good work.

Tags
symbols, [?]