Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-08-2023, 03:51 PM   #1336
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
What is it with fanfic authors deleting their works when they've barely been up two hours?
Copyright owner of original complained?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 04:18 PM   #1337
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Copyright owner of original complained?
They get feedback or messages and realize how unutterably s****y they are????

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2023, 04:52 PM   #1338
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
They get feedback or messages and realize how unutterably s****y they are????

Hitch
Not sure if that would have any effect.

One fanfic I commented on (along with quite a few others) about how bad the fanfic was at following canon, spelling, grammar, etc. was responded to by the fanfic's scribbler stating that the problems were with the originals and the readers not with their output. When I followed up with a list of misspelled names (nothing like misspelling multiple main characters names incorrectly to make a reader go Huh???), general misspellings, misused homonyms, grammar errors, etc., it was suggested that I and my criticisms were a small mind trying to chain genius.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 07:14 PM   #1339
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
... it was suggested that I and my criticisms were a small mind trying to chain genius.
Lol. That would have been a mild response, from what I've seen. Many seem to believe that bad grammar and misspellings are a legitmate 'style' and you're pooping on their muse if you point it out.

Fanfic has changed since the late 1990's, when I found it and jumped in. It's about quantity now, quality is too much work for some.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 07:22 PM   #1340
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
My best guess on the deletions is either low self-confidence or getting a hate comment and not wanting to deal with it. (Fandom people can get... intense, especially if there's 'problematic' content. Apparently 'don't like don't read' is a skill people have forgot.)
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2023, 07:45 PM   #1341
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
... intense, especially if there's 'problematic' content. Apparently 'don't like don't read' is a skill people have forgot.)
Too True.

I have heard of some fandoms that are really toxic, and authors get attacked if they don't write something the majority want to see.

And there's those on Fanfiction (dot) net that like to go around sending warnings to authors whose stories break some of the TOC's. Not that FF.N seems to care, but they have had huge purges once in a while.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:13 PM   #1342
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

AO3 was made in response to the ffnet/livejournal purges, hence why it's very light on the rules (basically if it's a fanfic, not plagarized, and doesn't have content that's outright illegal, it's allowed).

Last edited by ownedbycats; 06-09-2023 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-09-2023, 12:58 AM   #1343
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I started reading a book. By the time I got to the end of the first chapter, I wanted some character to punch the protagonist.

Probably a sign that I should DNF.
Old 06-09-2023, 01:07 AM   #1344
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
One fanfic I commented on (along with quite a few others) about how bad the fanfic was at following canon, spelling, grammar, etc. was responded to by the fanfic's scribbler stating that the problems were with the originals and the readers not with their output. When I followed up with a list of misspelled names (nothing like misspelling multiple main characters names incorrectly to make a reader go Huh???), general misspellings, misused homonyms, grammar errors, etc., it was suggested that I and my criticisms were a small mind trying to chain genius.
That seems pretty rude of you, unless the author wrote that they wanted criticism. Fanfic is written for fun and offered for free. As ownedbycats wrote, 'don't like don't read'. I'd say posting criticism in the comments is as rude as sending reviews to an author (by @-linking them on social media etc).
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 05:45 AM   #1345
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
My best guess on the deletions is either low self-confidence or getting a hate comment and not wanting to deal with it. (Fandom people can get... intense, especially if there's 'problematic' content. Apparently 'don't like don't read' is a skill people have forgot.)
Yes, all true.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 08:54 AM   #1346
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I started reading a book. By the time I got to the end of the first chapter, I wanted some character to punch the protagonist.
I dunno, I felt that way after the first chapter of The Caine Mutiny and I loved that book.

Now you just have to hope your author is a Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist...
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 10:08 AM   #1347
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I dunno, I felt that way after the first chapter of The Caine Mutiny and I loved that book.
Dee-dee, da-dee-dee, da-dee, da-da-da-dah....
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 11:12 AM   #1348
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
That seems pretty rude of you, unless the author wrote that they wanted criticism. Fanfic is written for fun and offered for free. As ownedbycats wrote, 'don't like don't read'. I'd say posting criticism in the comments is as rude as sending reviews to an author (by @-linking them on social media etc).
I would disagree with you. Are you expecting only nice comments to be written? That I should worry about hurting the scribbler's feelings by pointing out their poor English skills? Please note that I did not criticize the content, just the number of errors that made a story that I wanted to read very hard to read. If the author had offered a private message capability, I would have used that but no such option was seen.

I do have expectations about an author having at least minimal skills in using spelling and grammar checking tools not to mention the ability to use the correct homonym though I will admit to that using 'gentile pride' on multiple occasions was a rather humorous error (IMNSHO).

I have sent messages to various professional authors about errors in their ebooks. Oddly, most of them seem to be quite happy to be given the chance to correct errors. Perhaps for some, it beats learning about errors when you receive a takedown notice. Some authors/publishers even include a link in their ebooks to report errors, sometimes with a bounty for spotting multiple errors.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 01:49 PM   #1349
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Dee-dee, da-dee-dee, da-dee, da-da-da-dah....
I kinda want to go rent the movie again. Humphrey Bogart was great as Captain Queeg...
Old 06-09-2023, 01:52 PM   #1350
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I have sent messages to various professional authors about errors in their ebooks.
Unlike professional authors, I guess fanfic writers tend to vomit out perfection on a page