Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #46
DojoPat
literature lover
DojoPat has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Ereader PRS-505 & PRS-300
I want to win so that I can try out a Kindle.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:52 AM   #47
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Choose Me, Choose Me, Choose Me...

Enter me once, enter me twice, (shucks I can't do that), enter me once again....

If I win I could return to "reading" and enjoy all my books again, as opposed to what I've done for the past 4 years.

Four years ago, out of desperation, I started "listening" to audio books. Unfortunately, of the books I will listen to there are only a handful. So, for the past 4 years I've re-listened, and re-listened, and re-listened to the same books over and over again.

I find I cannot focus (bad eyesight) on pbooks very well, (though I finally was able to get new glasses), and reading on my computer forces me to sit at my computer desk, (I have a desktop computer) and squint through the backlit LCD (an old one from 2003)

So, if I won, and I would want an Astak only, I would be able to enjoy the hundreds, or is it thousands, of ebooks that Mobileread has uploaded, in the comfort of my recliner, my doctor's office, my shopping rest-stops, and especially when I go on my annual visit to the relatives. (That way I could ignore them better.)

You can find me on the Astak thread, anxiously following RobertB's every comment and waiting for the new Pocket Pro....

AJ Starr
Advert
Old 06-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #48
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I would like to win a Sony - or a couple of EBW1150's. I mention the 1150's because they are so sturdy and virtually unbreakable. If I were to win a new ebook reader, I would like to donate it to the pediatric bone marrow transplant unit here where I work. Those kids and teens have already been through tortures, and now they are cooped up in a sterile enviroment, very sick, and frightened.

An ebook reader would be great to have on the unit for the kids and teens, because of it being hard metal/plastic and easy to sterilize, as opposed to whatever contamination comes in with pbooks.

If there was a vote, I'd vote for yours. Excellent idea
Old 06-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #49
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Me please!

If I won, I would gift the device to my father. He is a big traveler and a big reader, making him the perfect target for a mobile reader. He has seen mine, which was given to me. I would love to purchase one for my dad but I can't swing it right now. Please make an elderly gentleman happy.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #50
Supes2000
Supes2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I am entering the giveaway!!

I would love to win a Kindle 2.

I have always loved to read, but found reading "traditional" books too cumbersome to carry around. Ebooks have always been an attractive option for me, as I am a huge PDA fanatic however, up until the last 2 years; the selection choice was fairly limited.

Now that the Kindle and the Kindle DX is available, I have been drawn back to reading like never before.

I would love to win the Kindle 2, as I am reading on a 1st generation device right now, and really want to upgrade. Although, as a student, funds are a little tight. I am attending culinary school, and the thought of freeing myself from 50 pounds of textbooks is a dream come true.

Thanks for the contest, and good luck to everyone.
Advert
Old 06-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #51
legaleagll
legaleagll has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.legaleagll has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.legaleagll has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.legaleagll has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.legaleagll has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS 505
Ooh ooh, me me...

Why I think I should receive a new reader:

1. There are starving children in Africa that would benefit greatly from my being able to read more books on a newer reader.

2. I would think real fondly of the other people who intended to go to the local hospitals and read to children or intended to donate their reader to a children's hospital.

3. I would contemplate doing such action myself, but ultimately decide that I was too busy reading my new reader to take part in such emotionally fulfilling work.

4. I own stock in Sony and having you purchase a new one for me would not only improve the bottom line of Sony and thus through some magical chain of events, improve their stock price and then I could have a double benefit of having a higher portfolio value and having a new reader.

5. I own stock in e-Ink and having you purchase a new reader for me would not only improve the bottom line of e-Ink and thus through another magical chain of events, improve their stock price and then I could have a double benefit of having a higher portfolio value and having a new reader.

6. My wife really wants to read one of the books I have on my reader, but I am never willing to give it up to her for her enjoyment since it is currently serving my own selfish enjoyment. Having a new e-book would give me twice as much enjoyment, but still wouldn't really help out my wife, since this one would be mine too.

7. As an attorney, I know my rights and it is my constitutionally guaranteed right to receive this reader. If you fail to provide it to me on or before the date specified herein I will proceed with all available legal remedies available to me.

OK, nothing I stated above is true, but I would still really like to win.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #52
BookLoverToo
Enthusiast
BookLoverToo doesn't litterBookLoverToo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I would like to win a Sony 505 for my mom. She loves books, would never spend the money on herself to buy one, and really deserves one! Also, she could use the larger print to read a wider selection of books without actually having to track down a large print edition, and I would load it up for her.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #53
mr_magicfingers
mr_magicfingers began at the beginning.

Device: none
why should I win?

I've been lurking here for a while now, following the threads and watching the development of the e-book readers, learning from all the incredibly helpful advice here. This year, the urgency to get one has shifted gear for the following reasons:

- I'm building a 100 square foot house, out of recycled materials, to live in for the next couple of years (see jaystinyhouse.com). There is no room for more books.

- Due to my recent divorce I've had to slim down my life (moved into a shared house) and the hardest thing to do has been get rid of my book collections. Hundreds have been given away, and some sold at a car boot sale, although there's not much market for them these days apparently. My book collection now resides in two cardboard boxes, waiting for the house to be finished and put on some of the very few shelves that will be in there.

- I'm only working part-time and tomorrow I find out if I'm being made redundant at the end of the month, so buying one just got shifted further down the list of priorities.

- I have a reading addiction that needs feeding, and holding up Waterstones with a banana in my coat pocket won't make me any friends.

- I spend far too much time at a computer already and my back will thank you for letting me read in a comfortable chair.

An ebook reader is on my list of things to save for once the house is complete, as it'll be the only way I can continue owning books for the next couple of years.

Last edited by mr_magicfingers; 06-11-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:14 AM   #54
mpeever
mpeever began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am interested in entering this great giveaway!

I have just joined your great forum here as my family gave me a "picture" of a new ereader for my birthday last week!

Why should I win???

Well, my current ereader does not work very well (as I said... for my birthday, I was given a picture of one by my kids!)
So in order to keep my 5 and 8 year olds' bank accounts intact for their university educations it would be great to win a reader instead of have them buy one for me!
They would be excited to see me with one in 3 dimensions and not have to part with their hard (ok easily) earned allowances.

In addition, I love to collect books, but my "library" is now quite full of hard cover books and I could read more if I had someplace to put them and my computer has lots of room left!

Regards,
Mike
Old 06-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #55
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Maybe should is not the right word, but i would love to win because im an avid reader and my Sony was stolen last week and reading on my iphone hurts my eyes.

No readers are officially sold in my country but I use a courrier company that gives me an adress in the US, so i could get any reader sold in the US.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #56
Jovvi
Connoisseur
Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Cybook Opus, iPad and HTC Wildfire (Android)
I want to enter this givaway!
Why I should win:
1. I am a very good advocate for ebook readers in my country (Sweden).
2. I want a second reader to compare to my Cybook 3 Gen.
3. If I had a second reader I would give one of them away to my twin sister so she too can "see the light"

Clara
Old 06-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #57
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I'll like to enter the give away to get a chance to win a Cybook Gen 3 .

The main reason I'll like to Win is So that I can present it to my sister. While they are in tight situation currently, my Bro in Law does't like it if we spend money on expensive gifts for them.

If I win I can legitimately claim not to have PAID for an expensive present, which would be really appreciated.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #58
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Heck ... let me join in.
I want to win an eBook reader. One that will work in Europe, Austria specifically.
Why? I want to wrap it up and give it to my wife as a wedding anniversary present.
She's all about literature, but she does not like reading on her PDA (now iPhone).

You'd make us two happy campers and maybe I could get her to remove her pBooks that COVER ONE ENTIRE WALL OF OUR LIVING ROOM!!

Last edited by mores; 06-11-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:48 AM   #59
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
NOT entering but just want to thanks for coming up with such a fun all encompassing contest. You rock!
Old 06-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #60
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
I was about to participate, but my dad voted for me, and it would be equivalent to two votes, so I'll just say this: go Catire!
Closed Thread