Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-01-2009, 05:29 AM   #1
starbuck
starbuck began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ereader P505
Recommend me a case/cover

Can anyone recommend me one for my 505.
I'm looking for one that will offer good protection for my reader if I put it into a pocket but that is also not bulky so it will fit into a long pocket when I'm out and about. In these summer months with great weather, I don't want to be carrying round anything bulky but also want to protect my reader.

I've seen ones from tuff luv, m-edge etc and wondered what people would suggest?

Also, has anyone tried a screen protector and are they any good/necessary?
starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
I'd recommend the tuff-luv case. It does add bulk, but also protects the reader well. Even in the case my reader takes up less space than the average book I read, and I'm confident it's protected well enough for the things I do with it.

However, I haven't used any other cases/covers except the one that came with the reader so you might want to hear what other people have to say. There is a discussion of the tuff-luv here which will give more detail about the case, and photos.

If you have any specific questions about the tuff-luv then ask and I'll try to answer them!
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
I haven't tried the tuff-luv case, so I can't comment on that one. But it does *look* like a very protective case.

I *do* have the new version of the M-edge Executive Jacket, and I *totally* love it! Feels very secure, very protective, is really nice looking, and not a great deal larger than the original cover. It still fits in my purse. I highly recommend them! A vast improvement protection-wise over the original cover.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I have one of the older M-edge covers, and I love it. Not only offers good protection, but makes the reader easier to hold, at least for me.

Amazon has the old ones on clearance for $19.99 - which I think is a really good deal. The newer ones are only $10 more, if you want more color or style.

It does make the reader a bit bulkier, so I don't know if it will suit you, but it's a good cover.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
kmj44
kmj44 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
The ones on sale at Amazon look like a good deal. Thanks!
kmj44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I have both the MEdge Executive and Leisure covers and really like them both.

The Leisure cover is padded with a clear plastic front that zips shut. Although not waterproof, it is water resistant and very useful for the beach and boats. Plus I use it when I'm traveling to give my reader added protection in my carry on
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:43 PM   #7
sdmama
Enthusiast
sdmama doesn't littersdmama doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505 and 700 and Kindle 2
I just received the BookArmor case for my Sony 505 and 700. It fits like a glove and seems to add a nice layer of protection with its hard plastic insert. It zips ups and is pretty compact.
sdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:27 PM   #8
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
I bought a screen protector for my reader and it is fabulous! I wish i would have ordered the 3 pack but hey...live and learn. Thy r re-usable, crystal clear, and they make your reader's screen look even better! I bought mine off Amazon and I love it! It does add a bit of glare, but it's not that big a deal. Make sure u use a credit card to get the bubbles out if u do get one...like I said I love mine and I don't have any scratches on my screen.

http://www.amazon.com/PRS-505-ClearT...5727546&sr=1-2
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:06 AM   #9
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
Living in the UK, I feel very restricted in the cases I can get. I have the trifold cover which I love, but I do fancy either the medge executive or the BookArmor one, but shipping to the UK is even more expensive than the case itself, plus I might get hit with Import duties.

The only other case I can find is the Tuff-Luv case which you can get easily in the UK, but I am not sure I like the look of it
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:06 AM   #10
DanielCoffey
Connoisseur
DanielCoffey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
halljames - I spoke to both M-Edge and Oberon about shipping to the UK this week. Both companies charge about $27 shipping, and given that the cost of the Oberon will (probably) be $75, it's not too bad.

The customs charges will normally be 15% VAT plus a handling charge (can't remember how much) plus a re-shipping charge of about £8. They will almost certainly hold the package till you have paid the duties (as this is their job) but you might be lucky.

If you want the better choice of cases that our US buddies have, just factor the customs charges in to the cost and grit your teeth. You may be pleasantly surprised if it just arrives uncontested.

Oberon should have pictures of the 505 case by the end of this week or early next week.
DanielCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:45 AM   #11
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
I have just ordered the BookArmor case from ebay. With shipping, it came to £41, a little bit pricey, but I really want a fully sealed cover, that I can simply open up and read straight away, without having to remove it. This to me looks like the best option at the moment.
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #12
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by halljames View Post
I have just ordered the BookArmor case from ebay. With shipping, it came to £41, a little bit pricey, but I really want a fully sealed cover, that I can simply open up and read straight away, without having to remove it. This to me looks like the best option at the moment.
If that's really what you are looking for, I'd agree that the Book Armor is the best case I've found that meets your description.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #13
Bowhuntxx78
Readoholic
Bowhuntxx78 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS - 505, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I have one of the older M-edge covers, and I love it. Not only offers good protection, but makes the reader easier to hold, at least for me.

Amazon has the old ones on clearance for $19.99 - which I think is a really good deal. The newer ones are only $10 more, if you want more color or style.

It does make the reader a bit bulkier, so I don't know if it will suit you, but it's a good cover.
I have the M Edge as well and really like it.....
Bowhuntxx78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #14
heatherc
Enthusiast
heatherc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
I bought one of the BookArmor cases and it arrived last night. I put a review - with pictures! - on my blog:

http://www.lectio.ca/2009/08/8-case-...fortitude.html

I really like the BookArmor case.
heatherc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #15
Holden
Enthusiast
Holden began at the beginning.

Device: cybook, kindle3
check "metal case for sony 505" on ebay, seller named bess. i have just bought a metal case for Sony 505, which will probably not be a titanium case, but it's absolutely fine and i paid about 4 pounds for the case and a total of 6.90 item and shipping cost to Italy included. The only think i regret is that ... i do not own a SOny 505!!!!!!
(But it fits my Cybook, anyway)
Holden is offline   Reply With Quote