Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-04-2009, 04:29 AM   #1
tylerdurden51
tylerdurden51 began at the beginning.

Device: none
$20 Can Go A Long Way

I have $20 to spend on a kindle 2 accessory.

Which one should I buy and where can I find it the cheapest?
tylerdurden51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:16 AM   #2
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Ummm a skin?
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I don't have one myself, but I've been eying the Incipio felt sleeve for the K2. It's available from the mfr and from Amazon for $20, though shipping may be cheaper through Amazon.

I'm thinking of getting a skin as well (I'm halfway between wanting a leather book-style cover and going with a sleeve/skin combo) though I haven't found a skin I like much. DecalGirl skins seem to be the best, but the only solid color one they have is black. The skins are $15 from DecalGirl, and you can also get ones from SkinIt for the same price (though the cutout is different) or you can design your own for $20.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden51 View Post
I have $20 to spend on a kindle 2 accessory.

Which one should I buy and where can I find it the cheapest?
Buy books!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
tylerdurden51
tylerdurden51 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
I don't have one myself, but I've been eying the Incipio felt sleeve for the K2. It's available from the mfr and from Amazon for $20, though shipping may be cheaper through Amazon.

I'm thinking of getting a skin as well (I'm halfway between wanting a leather book-style cover and going with a sleeve/skin combo) though I haven't found a skin I like much. DecalGirl skins seem to be the best, but the only solid color one they have is black. The skins are $15 from DecalGirl, and you can also get ones from SkinIt for the same price (though the cutout is different) or you can design your own for $20.
thanks for the recommendation! yeah, i don't like the current look too much but i figured my only option was between a skin and another ebook. i think i'll just go with a skin for now (i really like those ones in your link!)
tylerdurden51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's another option of a completely different type, but still within the $20 price limit; an East German leather map case perfectly-sized for the Kindle (in a case or not), with another pocket for cell phone, etc. Also available in black.

I have one myself, and it looks good. I get compliments on it all the time, even if people do sometimes call it a murse.

Last edited by weatherman; 04-04-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #7
kyliedork
Connoisseur
kyliedork doesn't litterkyliedork doesn't litter

Device: kindle
you should spend money on protecting your k2. because of DRM right if you damage your k2 you can't transfer your libary to your replacement k2 without breaking the law
kyliedork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #8
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyliedork View Post
you should spend money on protecting your k2. because of DRM right if you damage your k2 you can't transfer your libary to your replacement k2 without breaking the law
You can have several Kindles on your account at the same time. I have 2 Kindles and my iPhone with the same purchased books on them. Yes there is a cap but you are hardly trashed if something happens to one.

It is true that past issues of subscriptions and newspapers are not backed up but ebooks are. Everyone should have a copy on their home computer.

Last edited by pagansoul; 04-06-2009 at 11:16 AM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
girlzilla
Lizard in a Tutu
girlzilla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, MSI Wind
I would just save up 10 more dollars and get the official Amazon Kindle 2 case.
girlzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #10
Octochick
Zealot
Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlzilla View Post
I would just save up 10 more dollars and get the official Amazon Kindle 2 case.
I think you mean "cover". A case is a bag, sleeve or pouch for your Kindle. A cover is a fitted, protective exterior for your Kindle. And I agree, this is the most important thing to have, and the Amazon Cover is probably the cheapest.

You can go to Target and get a Belkin gadget bag, to act as sleeve. They have them in the computer department. I looked at some today. If you can find the "quilted" one, that your best bet. These fit pretty and will give it some though limited protection and are around 19.95 and less.
Octochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:57 PM   #11
Old Man
Old Man has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Old Man has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Old Man has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Old Man has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
I agree with pilotbob, buy books.
Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
Terry Watson
Terry Watson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 & 2
Kindle desktop stand

I have a very self-serving response: check out the acrylic desk stand for your Kindle 1 or 2: $19.95 (plus Amazon's $5.98 shipping and handling). The reason it is self-serving is that I am the supplier but I have been unable to get the attention of Amazon's authorities to properly list it as a Kindle accessory, so you have to search Amazon's whole store for "Kindle stand" and then scroll down until you find the Acrylic Desktop Kindle Stand by Tango Whiskey Designs. The newest version - not yet listed - is of frosted surface acrylic rather than the clear shown in the Amazon ad.

If any of you have already bought one, I would be pleased to hear your honest evaluation.

I hope this commercial message hasn't violated anyone's sense of what this forum is for.
Terry Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #13
weatherman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Watson View Post
I hope this commercial message hasn't violated anyone's sense of what this forum is for.

Well it might be a commercial post, but at least you were polite about it. Hows' about a link though!?
Old 04-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #14
Terry Watson
Terry Watson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 & 2
Kindle desktop stand

I thought posting a link might be pushing it a bit too much, but thanks for asking! Here it is: http://tinyurl.com/cnwzb9

You can also get there by going to the Amazon.com site and entering "Kindle Stand" in the search window for the whole store. The last time I looked, my product was about #5 on the list that came up on that search.
Terry Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can we please have the full link instead of the tinyurl? Tinyurl can take us anyplace since it hides the real address. I don't and won't click on them as I have no idea where they lead.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote