Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-22-2009, 04:11 AM   #1
roquet
Enthusiast
roquet began at the beginning.

Device: iriver X20, Bookeen Cybook
No italics

Minipocket books I'm reading aren't showing fonts (I haven't looked closely at other formats yet). I have the full font families for courier and georgia in the Fonts folder on the Cybook and I've selected georgia. I tried deleting .fonts.cache-1 from the System folder but it didn't make a difference.

Is it just how the Minipocket books are or how I'm viewing them? I was comparing a version of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn from http://manybooks.net/titles/twainmaretext93hfinn12.html with a paper copy I have and there should be italics in the first sentence.

Thanks
roquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:52 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It is more than possible that the e-book does not have the italics, nothing wrong with your system, just the e-book is not a perfect reproduction of the paper copy.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2009, 05:38 AM   #3
roquet
Enthusiast

So is that generally the case, that ebooks don't have italics?
Old 04-22-2009, 05:58 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Depends on the creator of the book. If it was created from a simple ASCII source, then it will lack such formatting. The CyBook certainly will display italics, if they are present.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #5
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Depends on the creator of the book. If it was created from a simple ASCII source, then it will lack such formatting. The CyBook certainly will display italics, if they are present.
.... depending on the font you are using. If the font do not have italics, they will not be shown. Sometimes, in my experience, italics are also very faint and almost undistinguishable from normal characters.
To recap, if you are not sure the ebook has italics, first maybe check on a PC ereader. If they appear there, then it is a font problem lacking italics, therefore change to a font which has italics. As easy as that.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by roquet View Post
Minipocket books I'm reading aren't showing fonts (I haven't looked closely at other formats yet). I have the full font families for courier and georgia in the Fonts folder on the Cybook and I've selected georgia. I tried deleting .fonts.cache-1 from the System folder but it didn't make a difference.
What do you mean by "I have the full font families..."? Did you copy all 4 different font styles for these 2 fonts in the folder? Do you now see 2 different entries for Courier and Georgia in the font menu and both are lacking italics?

AFAIK these 2 fonts are already pre-installied and don't show up in the font folder... What happens if one puts copies in the font folder, I don't know - has somebody tried this?! (Probably just one of them is used/showed and the other ones ignored???)

But I can positivly confirm that CyBook uses bold and italic types if they're in the book (with pre-installed and added fonts). Even in converted PDFs (with Mobipocket Reader) they are OK...

BTW: Sometimes fonts - even if they appear to be from the same family - have wrong information stored inside and they are shown as different new fonts in the font dialog. If this is the case, then CyBook can't use them as a family (but this can be corrected using FontForge or any other font editor).
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Seome ebooks, especially from older Gutenberg sources, won't have italics. Most commercial ebooks will have italics.

There are on-line sources for Huckleberry Finn that do have the italics, e.g.
http://etext.virginia.edu/toc/modeng...c/Twa2Huc.html

But you'd need to convert to Mobipocket format yourself (& then upload here!)

Quote:
So is that generally the case, that ebooks don't have italics?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:36 PM   #8
roquet
Enthusiast

Can someone point me towards a free Mobipocket book which has italics?
Old 04-23-2009, 12:09 AM   #9
roquet
Enthusiast

Just noticed some of the demo books have italics.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:01 AM   #10
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Wink

Quote:
Just noticed some of the demo books have italics.
If you are unsure, make one yourself. With mobipocket creator, first create a word file, and then convert it and try.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #11
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
If you are unsure, make one yourself. With mobipocket creator, first create a word file, and then convert it and try.
Or you just use Mobipocket Reader on your PC - drag&drop it to the bookshelf and you're done...
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:55 AM   #12
roquet
Enthusiast

I assume there's no way to tell if books uploaded to this site have italics or not without checking them? Can anyone who has put a book on here with italics let me know which one it is?

Thanks
Old 04-26-2009, 04:44 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi roquet,

I'm a little puzzled as to what you perceive the issue to be. You have seen italics in the demo books - they are just Mobipocket books, like any other. If they display italics, then so will any other book. If you really must check, however, then download my Mobi version of "Pride and Prejuduce". The title page, where it says "A novel in three volumes" has the "in three volumes" in italics.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:09 AM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
All the books I've uploaded (I think) have the author's name in the title page in italics (and bold).

Take for instance The Picture of Dorian Gray. At the end of the Preface there's again "Oscar Wilde" in italics, and at the beginning of chapter 4: "Les Cent Nouvelles" and "Manon Lescaut".
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:12 AM   #15
roquet
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hi roquet,

I'm a little puzzled as to what you perceive the issue to be. [...]
Just I'd rather read an ebook with the original italics. Often it doesn't matter much but some novelists use a lot of italics and part of the meaning of the text is lost by not having them. If information about whether italics are included or not was available in the book description I could choose not to read ebooks which omit them.