Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-25-2011, 05:22 AM   #451
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Ha, for some reason I was reminded of a fantasy series I read a few years ago (I've read very little fantasy as an adult, so you'd think it would stand out), and wrote the following trying to puzzle it out:

Quote:
The main character was a fighter but also some kind of fallen priest or crusader, and it was set on a world where there was some kind of magical force everywhere that responded to belief and imagination, so that outside of towns and cities where magic "wards" and religious faith were employed to control that force, humans were constantly spawning monsters from their own minds. IIRC, there was a whole other race of vampiric sentients spawned from the magic by humans.
Then, I remembered that it was recommended by someone on another forum who posted under one of the main characters' name, and a quick googling cleared it up: The Coldfire Trilogy.

So, um, nothing to see here >_>
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #452
dreamyfire
dreamyfire began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
For some reason or another, I've gotten on a kick of rereading old childhood favorites. The one I have in mind involves children (brothers and sisters) coming home from school for the holidays, only the weather is dreadful/rainy/flooding, and they're stuck and forced to make do without any adults... I realize that it's not much to go on, but I'd appreciate any help in finding this one! <3
dreamyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 11:11 PM   #453
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
I also need some help. I was in the book store today and saw a hard cover fantasy book that looked really interesting. I wrote the name on the back of a receipt and planned on buying the ebook when I got home. I have lost that receipt of course.

As it is hardcover and on a isle end stand I am guessing it is new. I am 99% certain it started with the letters "Un******" It was a fairly typical sounding fantasy. gods created different realms and one god created an unbalanced evil realm that the other gods sealed it off with magic. The magic is fading and the evil from that realm is coming into the other. The lead character is some sort of Archer or something. He has an urge to utter words he doesn't understand every time he draws his bow and he gets up to great the dawn every morning and kind of becomes one with the earth during a trance in that time or something along those lines.
A couple of people come and gather him and I think 3 of his friends for reasons they don't yet understand.

That is all I remember from reading the jacket. I really hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance!

p.s. I already went through all of chapters online inventory that starts with "un" with no success so my memory could be off.
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #454
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I think you want “The Unremembered” by Peter Orullian.

http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.co...-reviewed.html
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:00 AM   #455
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
Thank you so much. I couldn't get it out of my head!

http://youtu.be/fIiVEsp8WuE
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 06:38 AM   #456
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
This book was one I was lent as a child when I was in hospital, and I never got to finish it, which is why I think it has stuck in my memory.

It is set on an island, I think, where the boy hero has been marooned. He finds a cave to shelter in, and although he hasn't seen anyone else he finds either some milk, or a coconut with milk in it, outside the cave one morning. There is a girl who leaves it for him, and calls "Milko" or, something smilar, when she does. That's about all I can remember, I'm afraid.

It has bugged me for years as to what the book was, so any help would be much appreciated
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #457
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I read a summary of a book in the last few days and now can't remember what it was called, I thought it was mentioned in this forum so I have checked all my recently read threads but can't find it. My description may be a little vague but it was something along the lines of a woman who pretends to be clairvoyant helping people get closure etc when a Police detective blackmails her into helping him cosy up to one of her clients in order to solve a murder. I think it was a noir style mystery or perhaps victorian. Pretty sure it was one in a series. Thanks in advance
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #458
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Looking for a book/author of same.
Title had (I think) Wire in it.
Fiction
About Radio Station Jammers
Characters
Male who owned or frequented nightclub with secret jammer clientelle
Female Radio talk show hostess referred to Goddess of the Airwaves or similiar.
Dwarf couple (European I think) who danced in contests and were jammers
Male who is pscho type looking for jammers.

I think it was set in Chicago but not sure.

I have googled a lot with no luck

Thanks for any input Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:48 AM   #459
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
A sequel to Orwell's 1984. I believe it was called 1985, written by a female author and put out by Bantam-Spectra in the early-mid 90s. It may have had a butterfly on the cover.I swear I owned this book but for the life of me I can't remember the author nor find proof it existed.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:57 AM   #460
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
A sequel to Orwell's 1984. I believe it was called 1985, written by a female author and put out by Bantam-Spectra in the early-mid 90s. It may have had a butterfly on the cover.I swear I owned this book but for the life of me I can't remember the author nor find proof it existed.
It doesn't sound at all like the same book, but...

There is a book by Anthony Burgess (he of A Clockwork Orange fame) called 1985, which I once owned. You can find info (including spoilers) on it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_(A..._Burgess_novel)

Note that, as it says, it's a series of essays/interviews, and a novella.

My book's cover had a simple picture of a rose draining of colour from red to white, as attached.

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by montsnmags; 11-16-2011 at 07:24 AM.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:30 PM   #461
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Is this it?
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:24 AM   #462
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Please identify these authors

I know this is a Name that book thread, but I couldn't find anywhere else to identify two authors many of whose books I've read through the local library years ago. I'd like to read them again, and check whether their books are available as ebooks. Both authors are refreshingly different in their own ways. I suppose they would be classified as Mystery and Crime authors.

The main character for the first author is male, of French-Canadian (and I think native American) descent who lives in Montana. He is very tough, hard drinking, and very moral in what he does.

The main character for the second author is female, and from the Boston upper crust. She was originally married to a rather older man from the same group, but after he died married a Jewish art expert.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:30 PM   #463
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'm trying to remember the title of a book I read as a kid. This young kid wants a robot playmate and convinces his parents to get him one. The robot looks just like another pre-teen boy which leads to problems for a would be robot thief who can't tell which is the real kid and which is the robot. Does the book sound familiar to anyone here at Mobileread? I read it back in the 1970's though I can't recall if it was a new book or a reprint of one from the 60's or so. I got it through one of the thin book catalogs that schools put out back then.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:42 AM   #464
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I'm trying to remember the title of a book I read as a kid. This young kid wants a robot playmate and convinces his parents to get him one. The robot looks just like another pre-teen boy which leads to problems for a would be robot thief who can't tell which is the real kid and which is the robot. Does the book sound familiar to anyone here at Mobileread? I read it back in the 1970's though I can't recall if it was a new book or a reprint of one from the 60's or so. I got it through one of the thin book catalogs that schools put out back then.
My Robot Buddy by Alfred Slote ?

link to goodreads.com
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:09 AM   #465
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
My Robot Buddy by Alfred Slote ?

link to goodreads.com
Yep. I think that's the one. Funny thing is I remembered the robot's name (Danny) for some reason though I wasn't sure I had remembered it right and yet I couldn't remember the title of the book. lol. Alas it's not yet in Kindle, but I was able to verify that it is the same book by a sample of text from inside one of the editions at Amazon. It was a good read back when I was a kid. It came out in 1981 so I would have been around 11 maybe back then.

Last edited by crich70; 08-17-2011 at 08:11 AM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths