Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Onyx firefly

I'm considering this e-reader but have no prior experience with Onyx. Does anyone have any experiences to share?

http://ereader-store.de/en/onyx-boox...refly-8gb.html
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I just got one a week or so ago, so I don't have a lot of experience to share. But I like it. I only use it for reading, I don't highlight or make notes or even use the dictionary, ordinarily, so I haven't even tried any of those things. For reading fiction, it's great. A little heavy, but lighter than any tablet. I like that I can set all my files into folders and sub-folders by author and series. I also like that I don't have to register it anywhere to use it. The light is nice, and I am able to use my side loaded font, which is important to me. I use the Cool Reader app on it, and while it does not preserve all my formatting, it's acceptable. (Most people probably wouldn't care, but I like a space between paragraphs, which seems to disappear in the Cool Reader app).

So I guess it depends on what you are looking for in an ereader.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2013, 02:26 AM   #3
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! That sounds really nice. I won't be highlighting either, just looking for something reasonably user friendly with a good screen/light. The folders sound great. I don't think I'll mind the extra grams.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #4
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Has anyone compared the Onyx firefly with a kobo glo or aura? I would like to hear how the light quality compares, and also if the light on the firefly can be set to a lower intensity than the minimum on the glo (which I find too bright for reading in a dark place).
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you ever updated your Glo? One of the updates last spring adjusted the lighting so that it goes much lower than when originally released. I recommend you check your firmware and update it (I am using 2.6.1)

I will compare my two later (when I am more awake) but from memory, the Firefly has a bit of shadow (like the Kindle Paperwhite) while the Glo has a more even light all the way across the screen. I think the text on the Glo is a little sharper (with the light on, on both models). The light can be turned off on both devices (the Firefly has an on screen control, not a button).

Perhaps I will post a side by side picture later.
Advert
Old 08-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
jojoba
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Perhaps I will post a side by side picture later.
A side by side with your PW would be great!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
Quote:
(the Firefly has an on screen control, not a button).
Long pressing the Back button turns light on /off.
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I will attempt to share some pics....

Code:
Kobo and Firefly

Paperwhite and Firefly

Paperwhite, Kobo, Firefly

Paperwhite, Kobo, Firefly (overhead lights off)

Paperwhite, kobo, Firefly (overhead lights on)
Old 08-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Have you ever updated your Glo? One of the updates last spring adjusted the lighting so that it goes much lower than when originally released. I recommend you check your firmware and update it (I am using 2.6.1)
I am now using 2.8.1, and still find it way too bright for reading in a dark room.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
jlynton
Evangelist

Quote:
I will attempt to share some pics....
Thanks for that, it appears that the firefly minimum setting is considerably brighter than the kobo glo minimum.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Yes it is, I always leave the Firefly on the lowest setting and it is quite comfortable.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:54 AM   #12
jojoba
Addict

Thanks so much for posting those photos, that's really useful.

The brightness of the screen made me a bit sceptical. I only use my Paperwhite on the very lowest levels because I find it too bright otherwise. So I'm thinking the Onyx might be too bright for me. That's a bit annoying because I thought it was otherwise a quite nice package.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I would like to hear from other Firefly users regarding italics. I use the Cool Reader app that came on the device, and I use a side loaded font. Why do italics work where they should in some books but not in others? Is there some coding in an epub that might interfere with the italics working?

Oh and the exact same epub will show italics correctly on other ereaders.

So I put the same book on in mobi format, and the italics work.....

But I still take issue with the text layout not appearing the way it should, deleting all spaces, even the ones at the chapter break.

Is there an ideal format for the Firefly? If i can't find a better way to display text, I'm going to sell it.

Last edited by booklover6; 08-23-2013 at 06:39 AM.