Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2006, 04:25 PM   #61
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Anansi Boys is still $15.96.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:11 PM   #62
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"The Tao of Warren Buffet"
Amazon Hard Cover $13.56
Sony Connect $13.59.

Last edited by RWood; 12-09-2006 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Price was off by a penny.
Advert
Old 12-09-2006, 08:30 PM   #63
RWood
Technogeezer

From a Sony Response
Quote:
Subject
Pricing Problem on "Tao of Warren Buffett"
Discussion Thread

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Sony Connect!

We sincerely appreciate all the time and effort that you have taken to explore our Connect service and to share your opinions with us. It is very important that we receive this feedback from our users so that we may better serve all our customers.

If the information I have provided does not completely answer your question, please update this incident so I may be of further assistance to you.

Sincerely,

Customer Support Representative
Sony Connect
What action will they take? It seems none beyond sending a standard form letter.

Last edited by RWood; 12-10-2006 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:00 AM   #64
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Here's one more out of whack price on a book that I would like to buy, but not at that price...

Failure Is Not an Option
Gene Kranz

Amazon Paperback Price = $10.20
(Amazon Paperback List Price = $15)

Connect Store Price = $13.59
Connect Paper Book List Price = $28.95

eBook ISBN: 0743214471
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:18 AM   #65
FangornUK
Addict
FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
Ann Rule, Dead by Sunset
Connect: $18.40
Amazon: $7.99
FangornUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2007, 09:30 PM   #66
monkius
monkius began at the beginning.

Poison Study
Maria V. Snyder

Connect: $14.36

Amazon: $14.16 Hardcover
Amazon: $6.99 Mass Market Paperback

ereader.com: $6.30

Last edited by monkius; 01-13-2007 at 09:49 PM.
monkius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:24 PM   #67
jasonbrent
jasonbrent began at the beginning.

Unfortunately this thread has no impact on Sony as best I can tell and serves only as a place for shared misery in sony connect pricing.

Anansi boys is -still- $15.96. I bought/read a paperback version of it over a month ago instead of purchasing through the connect store. :/

-jbl
jasonbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:25 PM   #68
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbrent
Unfortunately this thread has no impact on Sony as best I can tell and serves only as a place for shared misery in sony connect pricing.
While it originally was clearly being acted on by Sony, they don't seem to be following-up on it anymore. At least not frequently. My last posted price didn't see any effect either. But that's pretty amazing that they were paying that much attention to what customers have to say in the first place, so we have to give them credit for acting at all.

On the other hand, the pricing can be really frustrating. Even small amounts (what's a few dollars on a book when you are paying $350 for the hardware in the first place) can really affect how we feel about buying at the store versus finding alternate content at PG or Baen or elsewhere.

But we're fortunate to have both options for the Reader. Buy new popular books at sometimes overpriced amounts, or find other good books elsewhere. And except for the crazy exceptions, the Connect prices to compare favorably to most other online e-book stores, so it's generally a good alternative.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:02 AM   #69
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
I bought 4 pBooks at a local store yesterday. All paperback of course. I already have a card that gives me 10% discount. I also had a $5 coupon. The total was about $42 before taxes and I paid $35 with taxes. I wonder if I already get all these discounts and paperback is a small light format already, then the pBook deal is at least as good as eBook deal and Reader advantages kind of melt away.

3 of the books I picked without prior info, by browsing shelves. Of course I like browsing shelves in a store. I don't think it would be as much fun to browse on-line. I wish I had Internet access to check ratings on books, but that is minor.

I guess the Reader/Connect store combo just isn't very compeling. I will certainly buy it after they fix the initial problems, but probably not for literature which is generally cheap in pBook format.

We will simply have to wait for publishers to clue in how much money they are wasting on pBook production as opposed to eBooks. Looks like they'll need a lot of time to create a proper eBook business model that works for them. In the meantime we'll stick to pBooks.
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:53 AM   #70
Phebe
Connoisseur
Phebe doesn't litterPhebe doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 500 and Kindle 2 and iPad and iPhone
Bob Ninja saying, Reader advantages kind of melt away.

I'm not sure price is the advantage that is most important.

Being able to carry a library in my purse is why I bought the Reader --- it's in San Diego getting fixed now, which isn't good, but that's part of being an Early Adopter, I guess.

Another is getting books not readily available --- I've been following some older detective stories and just printed out an Encarta entry my husband sent me with a lot of titles and authors from the last two centuries. I can get these on public domain sites or CDs for the Reader, but probably not so easily, nor cheaply, in printed book form.

Also, I have hopes for the future: you know that dream of publishers printing to order? You order a book, they print it and mail it? Well, that never made much sense as technology is today ---------------- but they sure could send books electronically! So these arcane philosophy of Time texts I'm suddenly interested in -- I could get them for less than the $60 they are gouging students now, for the small print runs they do for philosophy majors.

I envision all books being available digitally, more cheaply, including rare ones. I think we have to wait a few years before this technology realizes its potential.
Phebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:49 AM   #71
AndiR
Rather interested
AndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Sony Ereader, Ipad & iPhone
"Meteorology Demystified" more expensive than Amazon

40 US cents more expensive than the paper version ?!?!?!
AndiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:38 AM   #72
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!
adinb is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, iPhone
Transcendent, Stephen Baxter.
$14.36 at Sony, $7 (paperback) amazon

Last edited by adinb; 03-23-2007 at 07:30 PM.
adinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:20 PM   #73
Mohit25
Mohit25 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I wrote to Sony about a book that was grossly mispriced (USD 23 on Amazon for a hardcover vs 28 at Sony) and this is the response I got:

Hello again,

eBook prices are controlled by the publisher. Some price may vary between some stores but overall this price is in line with the market value.

Sincerely,

Keith
Customer Support Representative
Sony Connect
http://www.connect.com

Which concept of market value does this pricing adhere to - none that I could recognise !! This just bugs the hell out of me - I cannot understand how Sony could develop such a great product and then lose it so completely on content and software.

Last edited by Mohit25; 03-07-2007 at 08:11 AM.
Mohit25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:38 PM   #74
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
So, the price was the same at both Amazon and the ConnStore? Just trying to make sure I understood you is all ....

Assuming that's so, it sounds like the publisher just isn't letting them offer a discount is all (obnoxious, yes, but less obnoxious that other stuff pubs do all the time ).

The fact is that, for good or ill, the pubs do have something to say about pricing: you pay their price or you don't get their product.

For instance, the e-book of Off Armageddon Reef (published by Tor) is $18 on Baen's Webscriptions site when all the rest of the individual books are priced at $6 or less (I'm pretty sure, I haven't seen any others higher, anyway) -- that's the price Tor required Baen to sell it for, and I don't think there's the slightest question of Baen's integrity on that topic.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:02 AM   #75
Mohit25
Mohit25 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
[QUOTE=NatCh]So, the price was the same at both Amazon and the ConnStore? Just trying to make sure I understood you is all ....

Sorry - it was 28 at Connect vs 23 for a hardcover at Amazon- have changed above
Mohit25 is offline   Reply With Quote