Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 04-16-2018, 03:43 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Converting JP2 to PDF?

I have a set of 745 image scans in JP2 format (jpeg 2000) of a very large book. Obtained from archive.org. Unfortunately the PDF from that site is not downloadable due to enormous size of 1.8 GB --- it keeps timing out. (reported to site admin, and they say not working due to file size, so probably not going to get fixed)

I would like to convert the images to PDF, to use for proof-reading, so it does not have to be very high quality, but must be readable. It can be in sections, does not have to be one huge pdf file.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an online converter with no size limit, or a FREE easy-to-use standalone application available for download?
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:56 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
If you're familiar with running command line tools you could convert the .jp2 files with ImageMagick (freeware).
  1. Install ImageMagick.
  2. Open a command prompt window.
  3. Use the cd command to change to the folder that contains the .jp2 files. E.g.
    Code:
    cd c:\images
  4. Enter the following command:
    Code:
    convert *.jp2 book.pdf
However, since the conversion is very slow (about 1-2 minutes for 10 .jp2 files) and produces rather large .pdf files (about 40MB for 10 .jp2 files), you might want to convert the book in batches.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #3
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
There are usually a fully functional 15-30 days free-trials for Adobe Acrobat, Abbyy Finereader, PDFelement 6 Pro, Foxit Editor etc. usually just with an applied watermark which could be stripped off later on, or as is still the case with Abbyy enforcing 100 pages total restriction that could e.g. be circumvented by using several computers or OS, reinstalled OS, virtual machines etc.

There are also free OCR solutions like Topocr, Freeocr ...

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/top-5-...-into-text-nb/

https://windowsreport.com/ocr-software-windows-10/

Some Pdf conversion tips on Willus' k2pdfopt pages.

http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/pdf_conversion.shtml

Last edited by Marinolino; 04-16-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:07 PM   #4
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Yep, I agree with Doitsu, ImageMagick is probably your best bet.

Could you attach some of these JP2s (maybe 10 pages) into a ZIP so we could fiddle around? (Or just link to the Archive.org page?)

Another potential workflow is to use ImageMagick to convert from JPG2000 -> TIFF, then import those into ScanTailor (which can do a lot of the Normalization/Cropping + B/W conversions).
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:39 PM   #5
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
IrfanView (Freeware) can batch convert jp2 to any image format you like quite fast. You can then use the free jpg to pdf converter to turn the images into a pdf. (The converter is misnamed: you can use png files just as well). I've done it that way quite a few times, and it works nice and quickly.

https://www.irfanview.com/

http://www.freepdfsolutions.com/free...converter.html

EDIT: For reference: after I posted this, I started a conversion the way I described. 230 pages, the pdf file was ready three minutes ago, so those 230 pages took under twenty minutes. So your 745 pages should be done in about an hour.

Last edited by doubleshuffle; 04-16-2018 at 06:02 PM.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:51 AM   #6
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Whee! This is a nice handful of options. Thank you so much, guys!

I will be trying the FreePdfSolutions and ImageMagick. For this project, I don't need OCR or very high quality, it will only be needed as a basis for proof-reading, so whatever works fast will do this time.

Thanks again to all, it is always a good thing to have multiple tools in the chest.

gG
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:24 PM   #7
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
Whee! This is a nice handful of options. Thank you so much, guys!
Always willing to help you, GrannyGrump.

Well let us know how it goes or if you get stuck. I know some of that ImageMagick documentation/posts can be a beast.

Side Note: I also know that GIMP is finally introducing batch processing in GIMP v2.10 (coming soon, they released RC2 today).

PS. PM me all the deats... I miss you! :P
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:27 AM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
wget is a cross platform web download utility that can continue interrupted downloads.

Also, the ImageMagick utility display will display JPEG2000 images, so conversion might not be needed.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:41 AM   #9
virtualking16
virtualking16 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am personally using ImageMagick for such a purpose and it works best for me so I never tried others
virtualking16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:03 AM   #10
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
I've commented on this elsewhere but XnView and XnConvert are cross platform programs (Windows, Linux and Mac) that can convert to and from a large number of formats. There is also a command line converter, NConvert.

I use both XnView and XnConvert to prepare images for OCR. Usually cropping headers and page numbers after running the images through ScanTailor. It has always (almost always) worked well for me.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote