Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 12-10-2008, 01:24 AM   #1
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
PRS 505

What's the status of the Sony port? Anything to share with us?
Old 12-10-2008, 02:54 AM   #2
xanlexian
Connoisseur
xanlexian began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 / Nook GL / Kindle 3
I'm not a developer by any means -- however I'm quite interested in the status as well.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:44 AM   #3
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
jekhor is working on kernel. If you love blank screen, soldering wires and serial consoles, then you can already try it
Old 12-12-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
jekhor is working on kernel. If you love blank screen, soldering wires and serial consoles, then you can already try it
I'll wait

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 01-10-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
StDo
Translating Calibre...
StDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with others

Device: [PRS-500], PB360
I bet the sony port will work on PRS-500, too?
Old 01-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by StDo View Post
I bet the sony port will work on PRS-500, too?
Probably no. To support PRS-500, either jekhor will need it (hint: we're collecting donations), or someone experienced with Unixes will need to add the support (of course, we will provide all help we can in this case).

Various devices differ from each other much more than ordinary PCs. This is shoking, but nearly every device (which is not a clone/rebrand of other) needs substantional work to support.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Any timing on when it will be available?

And, as I’m at it, the Cybook?

Once more, for what I’m reading here we getting more jealous everyday for what you are doing with the OS and applications for the Hanlins and clones.

Thank you for your wonderful work.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Any timing on when it will be available?

And, as I’m at it, the Cybook?
No estimations for Sony - we have only one kernel developer in team, and he is quite busy (both with OI, real-life and regular job). The good news is that once the kernel porting for 505 is complete, userspace will follow immediately.

For Cybook the situation is slightly different, because we need to make extensive userspace optimizations due to hardware limitations, but I hope we will be able to sort it in couple of months.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Thank you for the clarification.

We will wait then.

Best regards and once more thank you all for the outstanding work your are putting in this project.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:08 AM   #10
DairyKnight
Connoisseur
DairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with others

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
No estimations for Sony - we have only one kernel developer in team, and he is quite busy (both with OI, real-life and regular job). The good news is that once the kernel porting for 505 is complete, userspace will follow immediately.

For Cybook the situation is slightly different, because we need to make extensive userspace optimizations due to hardware limitations, but I hope we will be able to sort it in couple of months.
I think there's an open-source driver for Sony E-Ink controller. I'm not a Linux kernel developer myself, but I've taken some time to look at the binary dump of prs-505 OS which turned out to be MontaVista Linux and standard arm-elf.

If we can somehow reverse-engineer the crt0.S we can build a toolchain to work with the MontaVista Linux, say, no need for a custom-build kernel?

Also igorsk has reverse-engineered part of the Kinoma Fsklib framework and it seems that there is a way to replace the original txt/pdf/lrf plugins on prs-505, like putting fbreader instead.

I'm quite interested in this project. If you guys need hands, I might be able to help. I'm not an expert but have some experience with Linux and embedded development.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:00 AM   #11
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyKnight View Post
I think there's an open-source driver for Sony E-Ink
If we can somehow reverse-engineer the crt0.S we can build a toolchain to work with the MontaVista Linux, say, no need for a custom-build kernel?

Also igorsk has reverse-engineered part of the Kinoma Fsklib framework and it seems that there is a way to replace the original txt/pdf/lrf plugins on prs-505, like putting fbreader instead.
This would be interesting but has nothing in common with OpenInkpot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyKnight View Post
I'm quite interested in this project. If you guys need hands, I might be able to help. I'm not an expert but have some experience with Linux and embedded development.
Just lurk in our IRC channel, or have a look at some ticket and help us fix it! We in constant need of new developers
Old 01-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #12
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I am not a programmer,but can anyone tell me what base of linux the Sony has? (Deb, Slack, redhat,..?).

I just want to know if there where any programs running on this linux, should I go for .deb,.rpm or other packages?

I have no experience with MonaVista Linux or something.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:46 AM   #13
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

You have to build packages especially for the device. It does not matter what kind of packaging system is used.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:03 AM   #14
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
ow,that's using sources,provided if there was some sort of package manager and libraries installed...

this device could be a great start for Linux beginners.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:41 PM   #15
ashadocat
ashadocat began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
eh, it needs custom gui because of the poor refresh rate and all packages to be custom compiled for it. not so good for the linux newbie. maybe ubuntu?